Frost Fired Presser

Mavric

55 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Honestly, if trev does NOT consider Urban, he needs to be fired.

You want a coach that is there to do the right things and be a good role model?  You just had him...you had one before him too...they both sucked.

Riley took us to a bowl game at least.  I get the sexy pick is Urban.  Urban is now not Urban.  He went to a NFL team and flamed in less than a full season.  He doesn't stay at on place long because his tactics have always caught up to him.  Yes, he is a good coach, but he is not Saban or some other greats.  He was lucky to recruit Tebow and was lucky to have great team talent at Ohio ST for one year.  He really hasn't produced for the talent he did have.  The Iowa's and Purdues usually would beat him at least every year along the way.  He wasn't Saban or TO for that matter.  He was a more polished Frost in some aspects.  The program was not bigger than Urban.  Well now we see that the programs are bigger than him.

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Honestly, if trev does NOT consider Urban, he needs to be fired.

You want a coach that is there to do the right things and be a good role model?  You just had him...you had one before him too...they both sucked.

I'm a hard no on Urban Meyer. But I'm morbidly curious to see what would happen if he came here and tanked as bad as Riley or Frost.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Riley took us to a bowl game at least.  I get the sexy pick is Urban.  Urban is now not Urban.  He went to a NFL team and flamed in less than a full season.  He doesn't stay at on place long because his tactics have always caught up to him.  Yes, he is a good coach, but he is not Saban or some other greats.  He was lucky to recruit Tebow and was lucky to have great team talent at Ohio ST for one year.  He really hasn't produced for the talent he did have.  The Iowa's and Purdues usually would beat him at least every year along the way.  He wasn't Saban or TO for that matter.  He was a more polished Frost in some aspects.  The program was not bigger than Urban.  Well now we see that the programs are bigger than him.

He was 54-4 in conference play in the Big Ten.  PU and Iowa were not beating him at least every year.

He has 32 TOTAL losses as a CFB coach...6 of those coming while at Bowling Green.

If you take BGSU out of it...he is 170-26

You are right...he is not Saban...he is better.

5 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'm a hard no on Urban Meyer. But I'm morbidly curious to see what would happen if he came here and tanked as bad as Riley or Frost.

That would all change in year 1...when he won 10 games.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

14 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

At tOSU he only lost to Iowa once, Purdue once, and a bad Virginia Tech once. The other loses were MSU, Clemson, PSU, and Oklahoma. I think 187-32 is pretty good anyway you cut it. I'd take that in a heartbeat, and I f#&%ing hate Meyer.

NFL means nothing for college coaches. Saban flamed out horribly in Miami. Kelly was run off in Philly, and so was Harbaugh in Cali.

5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

That would all change in year 1...when he won 10 games.

It's a fantasy that Urban would come in and win 10 games. Urban has been at schools with tons of talent, but he's not walking into that situation at NU. He'd be hard pressed to get to a bowl game IMO - as will any coach. With the OL as bad as it is, I think this is a 4+ year rebuild.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

It's a fantasy that Urban would come in and win 10 games. Urban has been at schools with tons of talent, but he's not walking into that situation at NU. He'd be hard pressed to get to a bowl game IMO - as will any coach. With the OL as bad as it is, I think this is a 4+ year rebuild.

Portal and NIL are game changers. He could get premium talent here faster than ever before.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

4+ year rebuilds are a thing of the past.   Transfer portal/NIL changed that.   A winning team can be put together in 2 years with the right coach. 

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

3 wins in the non-conference

Now...name the Big Ten west teams that are so freaking amazing.

Wisconsin, that struggled with Il State and got worked over by WSU?

Iowa---0-2 with 1 TD. (Yes, they are 0-2)

NW who NU had beat and then lost to Duke

Illinois???  Lost at Indiana

PU who crapped the bed at home vs PSU

Minny is the only team that has looked okay.

The west is garbage. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, RedDenver said:

Maybe. He'd need some great recruiters on his staff. I just don't see UM as any more likely than any other coach of succeeding here, but I definitely see him leaving us in the lurch in year 2 or 3.

I mean you hire him knowing he's not going to be here long, but he'll have brought in top talent and stacked the deck for the next coach.

1 minute ago, Hilltop said:

4+ year rebuilds are a thing of the past.   Transfer portal/NIL changed that.   A winning team can be put together in 2 years with the right coach. 

That's the thinking of today, but I don't buy it. Look at the teams that made big turnarounds and they usually have a decent to good OL and DL already. I'd love to be wrong, but I think it's going to take years to rebuild this program.

2 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I mean you hire him knowing he's not going to be here long, but he'll have brought in top talent and stacked the deck for the next coach.

If that's the plan, then Mickey Joseph is the better choice to stack the deck for the next coach with less pay and less chances of leaving a scandal in his wake.