ASU QB Sam Keller to transfer to NU?

Here's the latest from AZ.

Keller's father told my sources that reports out of Nebraska that he is a lock to go there are premature. However, the Keller's have been in contact with Nebraska (and other schools that I just don't know right now).

The father also said he is definitely leaving ASU. I think they are putting feelers out, getting the pulse of the programs and then will decide within a day or two.

Nebraska is in the running, but without speaking to the player or his dad, it's hard to tell which way Sam is leaning.

Keller's intentions are to play on Sundays. He will fit in great in the NU offense, especially with a full year to soak it up. Since he only has one season to put this whole fiasco behind him, what you'll get on the field next year is a highly-motivated guy out to prove that he should have been a starter all along. Great players can be even greater when they play with a little chip on their shoulder.

I think it will work out well for both sides.

From LJS

...a heated battle for the starting position this season — a battle Keller thought he’d won when ASU coach Dirk Koetter named him the starter on Friday.

Less than 24 hours later, Koetter changed his mind, saying he made a mistake, and tabbed Carpenter as the starter. The decision came after Koetter talked to several people, including a group of players in a Saturday meeting, the East Valley (Ariz.) Tribune reported Monday.

Very strange. He made a "mistake"!? "a group of people, including a group of players" convinced him to start of soph Rudy over the Senior Keller?

Or am i reading that wrong? and he made the decision and the meeting was simply informing the team of the altered decision?

an NFL and Heisman candidate replaced by a former backup possibly b/c he was outperformed or not liked by teammates.... :wacko:

though I could still buy the reasoning that the "coach went for the younger-player-for-the-future rout"

personally, I'd love to have more ASU fans in here to tell us the rumors as to Keller's relationship with his teammates, and reports on who actually performed better this offseason.

though since his transfer rumors, i assume many ASU fans would probably be a bit negative on Keller. Which, lets face it, is a normal fan reaction (look at this board).

One thing is for sure, as of last week, ASU had two VERY good QBs on their roster.

Considering that he was/is the preseason all pac10 first team he would be a great filler for next years transition for the new qb's. I don't think he'll have much problem beating out the other guys due to their lack of experience.

People over there seem to be really pissed about these recent events because it seems from most accounts that this guy was a really good kid. He won his position but a few of the players including Carpenter's roommate made some complaints and Carpenter also threatened to quit. But it doesn't sound like this was the idea of most of the team but rather a selected few.

It does sound like he may very well be N. Not verified but very close.

Considering that he was/is the preseason all pac10 first team he would be a great filler for next years transition for the new qb's. I don't think he'll have much problem beating out the other guys due to their lack of experience.

People over there seem to be really pissed about these recent events because it seems from most accounts that this guy was a really good kid. He won his position but a few of the players including Carpenter's roommate made some complaints and Carpenter also threatened to quit. But it doesn't sound like this was the idea of most of the team but rather a selected few.

It does sound like he may very well be N. Not verified but very close.

If that's the case, then letting Keller go due to a few complaints would be the "mistake".

If Carpenter threatened to quit, then you try talk the kid out of it! if the switch was made from Friday to Saturday it doesn't seem, on the surface, like Koetner put much effort into that. UNLESS, of course, that's what the meeting was all about.

you just don't screw your starter and tell him he's gonna ride the pine next season because a sophomore was threatening to quit!

I feel sorry for Koetner, this is a hell of a position to be put in. It actually makes Mack Brown's handling of Applewhite and Simms look complimentary.

Considering that he was/is the preseason all pac10 first team he would be a great filler for next years transition for the new qb's.  I don't think he'll have much problem beating out the other guys due to their lack of experience.

People over there seem to be really pissed about these recent events because it seems from most accounts that this guy was a really good kid.  He won his position but a few of the players including Carpenter's roommate made some complaints and Carpenter also threatened to quit.  But it doesn't sound like this was the idea of most of the team but rather a selected few. 

It does sound like he may very well be N.  Not verified but very close.

If that's the case, then letting Keller go due to a few complaints would be the "mistake".

If Carpenter threatened to quit, then you try talk the kid out of it! if the switch was made from Friday to Saturday it doesn't seem, on the surface, like Koetner put much effort into that. UNLESS, of course, that's what the meeting was all about.

you just don't screw your starter and tell him he's gonna ride the pine next season because a sophomore was threatening to quit!

I feel sorry for Koetner, this is a hell of a position to be put in. It actually makes Mack Brown's handling of Applewhite and Simms look complimentary.

Agreed I believe the biggest problem with the situation was that Carpenter is also very good. There wasn't much if any separation between the two so he initially gave it to the senior, if roles were reversed Carpenter would probably be starting. I'm guessing that if one or the other are going to quit then I'm sure he's thinking it best to keep the sophmore since he's got more time and there isn't a drop in talent. But then you also put yourself in a hell of a predicament because now what kind of message does this send to the rest of the team.

Considering that he was/is the preseason all pac10 first team he would be a great filler for next years transition for the new qb's.  I don't think he'll have much problem beating out the other guys due to their lack of experience.

People over there seem to be really pissed about these recent events because it seems from most accounts that this guy was a really good kid.  He won his position but a few of the players including Carpenter's roommate made some complaints and Carpenter also threatened to quit.  But it doesn't sound like this was the idea of most of the team but rather a selected few. 

It does sound like he may very well be N.  Not verified but very close.

Agreed I believe the biggest problem with the situation was that Carpenter is also very good. There wasn't much if any separation between the two so he initially gave it to the senior, if roles were reversed Carpenter would probably be starting. I'm guessing that if one or the other are going to quit then I'm sure he's thinking it best to keep the sophmore since he's got more time and there isn't a drop in talent. But then you also put yourself in a hell of a predicament because now what kind of message does this send to the rest of the team.

exactly, once again the cry baby qbs put pressure on the coach, but this time i think the coach screwed up....i would imagine this would have a negative effect on their future qb recruiting results......the whole story sounds like a cop out....

hunter

it sure seems college qbs are getting to be a spoiled bunch.....Freeman, Beck etc.

it seems all these guys want to start or depart......a sign of the times i guess??

hunter

it sure seems college qbs are getting to be a spoiled bunch.....Freeman, Beck etc.

it seems all these guys want to start or depart......a sign of the times i guess??

hunter

are all transferred QBs "spoiled". even upper classmen. Freeman and Beck certainly appear to be spoiled but what about Taylor? he transferred and he was a Frosh when he did so right? Hilldebrand too...

i don't mean to sound rude, but how is an experienced D1 QB being put in the same categories with the likes of Dukes, Freeman, Dailey and Beck?! 3 of which (-Dukes) wanted to be *given* higher depth chart ranking without having really proved themselves at the D1 level- or even in D1 practice-- including Dailey.

On the other hand, Keller, if AZ's story is accurate, did compete but was knocked out because he's gone after this year. sounds more like this Carpenter kid didn't want to wait. so who's "spoiled" in that case?

also, unlike Freeman/Beck, Keller is not a frosh or a soph- he is a senior. that's not an insignificant difference! especially if he wants to make it to the NFL because sitting on the bench during his final year isn't exactly going to raise his stock.

i don't know much about this guy, maybe he's great, maybe he's a flop waiting to happen if he transfers. and maybe he's a party animal and/or an egomaniacle jerk off the field- but can we stop comparing a proven Keller to such completely unproven players? I seen the comparisons on a couple different boards.

This alledged situation does remind me a bit of Applewhite vs Simms. Personally I still can't stand Simms because of that BS. In that case, it was Simms who was a spoiled brat, i don't think anyone would have blamed Applewhite had he left UT. Keller probably has a better shot at the NFL than Applewhite did though.

you missed it.......i was refering to Carpenter as the spoiled brat...not Keller

hunter

Being down here in AZ for the last few years and watching Sam Keller, I can tell you that he would be a great bridge between Taylor and the next good quarterback at NU.

Keller's off-field problems are basically rumors like: He likes to party a lot, drink a little too much and have too much fun. If you've seen the co-eds at ASU, who could blame the kid. Also, he's kind of cocky and many of the ASU players didn't really like him off the field.

Also, other rumors have been circulating that when ASU coach Dirk Koetter named Keller his starter on Friday, Rudy Carpenter was very upset and was pondering his future at ASU (re: he was going to transfer). So, instead of losing a pretty good quarterback for three seasons (Carpenter's a sophomore), Koetter, after meeting with several players who wanted Carpenter to be the starter because they liked him more personally, Koetter decided he'd rather lose a pretty good quarterback with one year left.

If Keller transfers, ASU has nothing behind Carpenter, but if he can make it through this season without getting hurt, Koetter can recruit a guy to groom.

I am also living in Ariz now. This kid would be great to have waiting in the wings for next year. Just about every qb that ASU seems to recruit can throw a football. That gives him a full year to get used to the program and the players. This kid can play.

GBR!!!

Go to RSS and read the subject lines!  Also it was confirmed by WOWT!

"All indications point" to him coming here, but by know means is it a done deal. We will know more in the next few days.

Do we have a scholarship to give? Would he walk-on?