Prime Time!!! - Deion Sanders Hired as Colorado Head Coach

Shiggity

20 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Their transfer class is pretty good - I still think they're going to collapse similar to last year, but it's not really a surprise. They're taking 20 or so transfers each year, and then they'll swing for some big HS recruits. I don't think it'll work but it's also not like they're getting rejected by hundreds of HS kids - they're just not offering that many, and the ones they do have offers to established schools.

They just lost over half of their 2024/25 high school class in the last month. Most of the guys they brought in haven’t done much. They just have the former star power backing. 

50 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Their transfer class is pretty good - I still think they're going to collapse similar to last year, but it's not really a surprise. They're taking 20 or so transfers each year, and then they'll swing for some big HS recruits. I don't think it'll work but it's also not like they're getting rejected by hundreds of HS kids - they're just not offering that many, and the ones they do have offers to established schools.

Maybe, maybe not.  They are brining a lot of guys in.  But they are also losing a lot of guys.

On3 has them rated second, which is obviously good.  But their net is +2 four-stars and +2 three-stars (14 in, 12 out).  That's not a lot of net gain (admittedly that is a pretty high-level analysis).

32 minutes ago, Decked said:

They just lost over half of their 2024/25 high school class in the last month. Most of the guys they brought in haven’t done much. They just have the former star power backing. 

It was just already a small class, and their high school recruiting does not matter for this class in my opinion. Within two years this will either massively crash and burn or be successful - if it's the former Deion will be gone, and if it's the latter they will have solidified their portal-heavy strategy (and Deion will probably be gone). There aren't a ton of high school guys who would make a huge impact over these next two years, they are all in on the portal.

Again I do think it will be the crash and burn outcome - I just don't think the outcome depends very much on who they sign out of high school because it's going to be done soon wither way. And they are also recruiting like their success is largely independent of HS recruiting.

26 minutes ago, Mavric said:

All coaches hate when they get poached and want that to stop, but also will then try to poach someone else. Very hypocritical, the recruiting world is a dirty business. This seems to be a FB only problem as well. You don't see this in other sports. When an athlete commits, coaches stop recruiting him/her. 

22 minutes ago, Madcows said:

All coaches hate when they get poached and want that to stop, but also will then try to poach someone else. Very hypocritical, the recruiting world is a dirty business. This seems to be a FB only problem as well. You don't see this in other sports. When an athlete commits, coaches stop recruiting him/her. 

I guess I kind of doubt it's a football-only problem.  I would speculate that it doesn't show up as much in other sports because the early signing days take players off the market much earlier than football allows.

46 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I guess I kind of doubt it's a football-only problem.  I would speculate that it doesn't show up as much in other sports because the early signing days take players off the market much earlier than football allows.

I've talked to a few different P5 assistant coaches in two other sports and they have all said once a kid commits, the stop recruiting and focus on uncommitted players.

So....they signed what, 6 HS players?  A bunch of players are transferring out.  I'm not seeing the buzz like last year with players wanting to transfer in.  It's possible that I'm just not seeing it and it's there.

But....it's going to be really interesting to see if Sanders can fill out a roster again for next year.

• TBH 1
6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

So....they signed what, 6 HS players?  A bunch of players are transferring out.  I'm not seeing the buzz like last year with players wanting to transfer in.  It's possible that I'm just not seeing it and it's there.

But....it's going to be really interesting to see if Sanders can fill out a roster again for next year.

Maybe with walk ons, if Colorado has those.