Your 2023 Nebraska Cornhuskers

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

That last line about freshman and sophomores needs to have an asterisk.

Freshmen always look bloated on a roster because when you redshirt most of them you will see 2 classes show up as freshman (2022 class redshirts + incoming 2023 recruits).

And the sophomore class basically has 2 classes in it because of the free Covid year (2020 class + 2021 class).  Doing a quick amount of research tells me guys who are listed as sophomores who are going into their 4th year include Gunnerson, Nash, Butler, Betts, Boerkircher, Gilbert, Chubba (and probably around 10 others once you include all the walkons).

I'll keep banging this drum, but I really hate the way that Nebraska does its roster by not counting the Covid year for everyone.  When I look at other teams' rosters we are pretty much the only one who counts it that way.  It leads to people thinking we are an extremely young team and produces bad comparisons to other teams when not adjusted for.

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

That last line about freshman and sophomores needs to have an asterisk.

Freshmen always look bloated on a roster because when you redshirt most of them you will see 2 classes show up as freshman (2022 class redshirts + incoming 2023 recruits).

And the sophomore class basically has 2 classes in it because of the free Covid year (2020 class + 2021 class).  Doing a quick amount of research tells me guys who are listed as sophomores who are going into their 4th year include Gunnerson, Nash, Butler, Betts, Boerkircher, Gilbert, Chubba (and probably around 10 others once you include all the walkons).

I'll keep banging this drum, but I really hate the way that Nebraska does its roster by not counting the Covid year for everyone.  When I look at other teams' rosters we are pretty much the only one who counts it that way.  It leads to people thinking we are an extremely young team and produces bad comparisons to other teams when not adjusted for.

Yes, it's confusing.  There should have always been a designation of a player that's in a certain class when he normally should have been in the next class due to COVID.  I posted it more for the information on the makeup of the senior class that I found interesting.  

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I posted it more for the information on the makeup of the senior class that I found interesting.  

But even that is misleading because of the Covid year since the seniors are pretty much 6th year guys.

A) The amount of kids who want to stick around and play football at the same place for 6 years (or even play college football for 6 years) isn't very big.

B) If the 6th year guys were that good, they would probably want to take a shot at the NFL by now.

C) Similar to A), we've sucked for the past 5 years, so if you still wanted to play football for a 6th year, why would you want to stick around and play here when you could go to somewhere that has had recent success and wasn't in a rebuilding process.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Red Five said:

But even that is misleading because of the Covid year since the seniors are pretty much 6th year guys.

A) The amount of kids who want to stick around and play football at the same place for 6 years (or even play college football for 6 years) isn't very big.

B) If the 6th year guys were that good, they would probably want to take a shot at the NFL by now.

C) Similar to A), we've sucked for the past 5 years, so if you still wanted to play football for a 6th year, why would you want to stick around and play here when you could go to somewhere that has had recent success and wasn't in a rebuilding process.

True, which probably adds to the transfer stat.  So, you have two walk-ons.  Reimer is one...not sure who the other is.  Solid player that's contributing.  He's continued to develop each year but, probably wouldn't have had a shot at the NFL. 

The transfers are probably guys who have transferred in later in their career and trying to use Nebraska to bolster their future careers.

I've said for a while that I think this Minnesota game is very important. Not that it makes or breaks the season or Rhule's career or anything like that. But it's a momentum game. That momentum started with Iowa and has just torpedoed through the offseason. I know I just cursed us, but Nebraska is in about as good of a shape as a program heading into Week 2 of fall camp as could reasonably be expected from where they found themselves before that Iowa kickoff last fall.

I have a lot of appreciation for what Minnesota has built and for that reason I think they're underrated entering the season. How many other programs would be coming off back to back 9 win seasons, and 3 of the last 4, to such mundane hype. They need a few things to go their way like everyone in this division, but I think they are clearly underrated heading into the season.

Heading into Week 2 we've seen representatives from every position group now talk. Ben Scott the other day said it best, and I'm paraphrasing for effect but only slightly....hold yourself to this standard or GTFO. I don't recall in many, many years this many players with that attitude. It's pervasive throughout that team. It just seems like these guys are really, really tired of losing and they've just had enough of it.

You could argue Nebraska is no longer a blueblood in the sense they once were, but when bluebloods bounce back its rarely done quietly. The dam usually breaks wide open. They may have been down for too long for it to be this year. There's a lot of talent throughout nearly every position group, but it's almost all unproven in some definition of the word. Regardless of the result of this game or this season, there is definitely a strong sense that this program is different in a way it hasn't been in an extremely long time.

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
46 minutes ago, brophog said:

I've said for a while that I think this Minnesota game is very important. Not that it makes or breaks the season or Rhule's career or anything like that. But it's a momentum game. That momentum started with Iowa and has just torpedoed through the offseason. I know I just cursed us, but Nebraska is in about as good of a shape as a program heading into Week 2 of fall camp as could reasonably be expected from where they found themselves before that Iowa kickoff last fall.

I have a lot of appreciation for what Minnesota has built and for that reason I think they're underrated entering the season. How many other programs would be coming off back to back 9 win seasons, and 3 of the last 4, to such mundane hype. They need a few things to go their way like everyone in this division, but I think they are clearly underrated heading into the season.

Heading into Week 2 we've seen representatives from every position group now talk. Ben Scott the other day said it best, and I'm paraphrasing for effect but only slightly....hold yourself to this standard or GTFO. I don't recall in many, many years this many players with that attitude. It's pervasive throughout that team. It just seems like these guys are really, really tired of losing and they've just had enough of it.

You could argue Nebraska is no longer a blueblood in the sense they once were, but when bluebloods bounce back its rarely done quietly. The dam usually breaks wide open. They may have been down for too long for it to be this year. There's a lot of talent throughout nearly every position group, but it's almost all unproven in some definition of the word. Regardless of the result of this game or this season, there is definitely a strong sense that this program is different in a way it hasn't been in an extremely long time.

You just stop it with the damn kool aid!  I am doing just fine in my 12 step recovery program and here ya go trying to call me over to the kool aid beer bong with your peer pressure. :koolaid2::waste  Not cool man. 

• Oh Yeah! 2