***Official 2023 College Football Thread***

suh_fan93

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Well I do get curious (er triggered in your lingo) when somebody posts some fabricated occurrence and blames it on all these “people” that apparently don’t actually exist. I mean just say that you think Michigan should be allowed to cheat and break the rules as they see fit. That’s at least something I wouldn’t feel compelled to inquire about.

I’ll get over it, take a lap and scroll by when I’m goddamn good and ready to, thank you very much.

f092fe23-0b05-4368-ae8e-141c20edb16f_tex

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 1
4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If the practice is widespread, it would be unfair to make Michigan the scapegoat.

Getting caught for cheating and suffering the consequences is not unfair no matter how widespread it is. It would only be unfair if multiple teams were caught for cheating and all of them did not suffer the consequences.

• TBH 3

15 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Getting caught for cheating and suffering the consequences is not unfair no matter how widespread it is. It would only be unfair if multiple teams were caught for cheating and all of them did not suffer the consequences.

Well it would be categorically unfair if multiple teams employed sign stealing practices but got to giggle because Michigan was the team that got caught, and the NCAA preferred to make Michigan the example rather than extend the investigation into what could be a larger embarrassment. That stuff happens, too. 

On a less egregious scale, when Tom Brady got caught in Deflategate, off-the-record and retired quarterbacks admitted ordering up footballs to their preferred inflation all the time and without consequence. Was the fact that it was a Tom Brady/Bill Belichick team getting caught make a difference? Is it possible that if Matt Shaub liked his balls slightly deflated on rainy days we would never have learned about the rule itself? 

18 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Well it would be categorically unfair if multiple teams employed sign stealing practices but got to giggle because Michigan was the team that got caught, and the NCAA preferred to make Michigan the example rather than extend the investigation into what could be a larger embarrassment. That stuff happens, too. 

On a less egregious scale, when Tom Brady got caught in Deflategate, off-the-record and retired quarterbacks admitted ordering up footballs to their preferred inflation all the time and without consequence. Was the fact that it was a Tom Brady/Bill Belichick team getting caught make a difference? Is it possible that if Matt Shaub liked his balls slightly deflated on rainy days we would never have learned about the rule itself? 

If you choose to cheat, then you also choose to suffer the consequences of you're caught. That's not unfair. Others cheating but not getting caught is also not unfair. Enforcement making an example out of one is also not unfair. If you think any of that is unfair, then don't cheat.

What would be unfair is if enforcement caught multiple cheaters but only one suffered consequences, which isn't what is happening in this case since only Michigan has been caught.

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 1

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

If you choose to cheat, then you also choose to suffer the consequences of you're caught. That's not unfair. Others cheating but not getting caught is also not unfair. Enforcement making an example out of one is also not unfair. If you think any of that is unfair, then don't cheat.

What would be unfair is if enforcement caught multiple cheaters but only one suffered consequences, which isn't what is happening in this case since only Michigan has been caught.

You're making a mathematical argument involving cheating and getting caught. I'm still in a rhetorical argument about potentially selective enforcement, which is considerably squishier, probably unfair, and far from unheard of. 

I'm trying to think of a scenario where you and I get caught doing the same thing our neighbor is doing without consequence, and us thinking "well that's fair."

For the record, I think it's impossible Jim Harbaugh was unaware this was going on, and that Michigan didn't directly benefit from the cheating (or at least try to) 

I'm just suggesting it's equally impossible that the Michigan football team discovered this sign stealing practice all by itself. 

7 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You're making a mathematical argument involving cheating and getting caught. I'm still in a rhetorical argument about potentially selective enforcement, which is considerably squishier, probably unfair, and far from unheard of. 

He literally said selective enforcement would be unfair.

7 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm trying to think of a scenario where you and I get caught doing the same thing our neighbor is doing without consequence, and us thinking "well that's fair."

I don't think there has been anyone reported to be doing the same thing as Michigan.  There are allegations of teams accomplishing the same outcome via different means, but that's not necessarily the same thing.

• Plus1 1