***Official 2023 College Football Thread***

suh_fan93

"People need to see what happened tonight, and they need to fix this," Smart said, lamenting the flood of opt-outs and portal entries on teams playing in non-playoff bowl games. "It needs to be fixed. It's very unfortunate that they have a good football team and a good football program, and they're in the position they're in."

The Seminoles played without their top two quarterbacks, top two running backs, top two receivers, starting tight end, three starting defensive linemen, two of three starting linebackers and three starting defensive backs. They were down 29 scholarship players in all.

Kirby Smart laments FSU opt-outs after Georgia's Orange Bowl rout - ESPN

• Plus1 2
25 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

I don’t always agree with this guy but he pretty much nailed how I feel about UGA curb stomping FSU.  

I do not understand how somebody can fail to understand this situation for what it clearly is/was. FSU got shafted on the playoff selection. They had extreme numbers of opt outs in addition to key injuries. They were down 29 scholarship players in a bowl game against Georgia. A Georgia team that was not depleted. FSU as a team had checked out on the season, pissed off, sad, dejected and rightfully angry over the playoff snub. Explain to me how they were supposed to give two s#!ts about this meaningless bowl game? This game was absolutely no reflection on FSUs season. Was FSU one of rhe 4 best teams at the end of the season? Probably not but that isn’t the point. They were an undefeated P5 team that got hosed on selection and they had to face a full strength UGA with basically their inexperienced 3rd and 4th string players all while feeling screwed over by CFB as a whole. FFS, it’s amazing they had enough players show to take the field. 63-3 or 10-7 it doesn’t matter and they can cry all they want now or in the future. This bowl game proved absolutely nothing about either team.

And that guy in the podcast…..what a knob. Personally I’d never use him as an example of what I thought about anything, but that’s me.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 6

FSU clearly did not get shafted on the playoff selection. That is cringefully obvious. They were not the same team in the regular season and thus were not one of the best final four teams.  You can’t have it both ways and this absolute crapfest how they performed in the Orange Bowl (not a meaningless bowl) only proved the committee got it right.  This was #5 vs #6 and outside the playoff the most anticipated matchup of bowl season when it was first announced. Georgia is a dang good football team but FSU gave up before they even played the game. Ok they lost, but that was embarrassing for a proud football program. A total crash and burn to an otherwise great season for FSU.

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

FSU clearly did not get shafted on the playoff selection. That is cringefully obvious. They were not the same team in the regular season and thus were not one of the best final four teams.  You can’t have it both ways and this absolute crapfest how they performed in the Orange Bowl (not a meaningless bowl) only proved the committee got it right.  This was #5 vs #6 and outside the playoff the most anticipated matchup of bowl season when it was first announced. Georgia is a dang good football team but FSU gave up before they even played the game. Ok they lost, but that was embarrassing for a proud football program. A total crash and burn to an otherwise great season for FSU.

I vehemently disagree with everything you have posted on this subject. :dunno

Anybody who anticipated this being a great bowl game was severely misguided and failed to comprehend the circumstances.

Non-Playoff bowl games have zero meaning ever since the advent of the playoffs, transfer portal and opt outs. By and large they are meaningless wastes of time and anybody who puts stock in them doesn’t understand the current CFB landscape. And this particular matchup multiplied the game’s complete worthlessness twentyfold.

But hey…:cheers

• TBH 3
10 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

You let the teams decide on the field not people who think what the outcome is going to be.  If Nebraska was FSU with a undefeated season and we got left out of the playoff then we all would be angry bc we would want to see them have that opportunity no matter if it's a third string qb or not.  The embarrassment lies in taking the opportunity away from FSU to play for the championship.  Even if FSU shows up and beats Georgia it wouldn't have changed people's thinking.  It was pointless to be there bc they couldn't prove it, oh wait they didn't have the chance too.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

You let the teams decide on the field not people who think what the outcome is going to be.  If Nebraska was FSU with a undefeated season and we got left out of the playoff then we all would be angry bc we would want to see them have that opportunity no matter if it's a third string qb or not.  The embarrassment lies in taking the opportunity away from FSU to play for the championship.  Even if FSU shows up and beats Georgia it wouldn't have changed people's thinking.  It was pointless to be there bc they couldn't prove it, oh wait they didn't have the chance too.

Completely disagree.  While I do agree there are valid points on both sides for Alabama getting the 4 spot or FSU getting the 4 spot, I disagree that it was an embarrassment that FSU didn’t get the chance. Life isn’t fair, FSU took their ball and went home. If FSU shows up and beats Georgia it wouldn’t have changed people’s thinking? :confucius Of course it would have changed people’s thinking!  Everyone would be saying dang FSU should have been number 4!  Instead everyone’s thinking was validated as FSU got destroyed by Georgia, who lost to eeeeerrrrrrrrrr Alabama.  No doubt anymore that Alabama should be in the playoff over FSU.

31 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Completely disagree.  While I do agree there are valid points on both sides for Alabama getting the 4 spot or FSU getting the 4 spot, I disagree that it was an embarrassment that FSU didn’t get the chance. Life isn’t fair, FSU took their ball and went home. If FSU shows up and beats Georgia it wouldn’t have changed people’s thinking? :confucius Of course it would have changed people’s thinking!  Everyone would be saying dang FSU should have been number 4!  Instead everyone’s thinking was validated as FSU got destroyed by Georgia, who lost to eeeeerrrrrrrrrr Alabama.  No doubt anymore that Alabama should be in the playoff over FSU.

The reason why it doesn't change people's opinion if they would have won is bc it doesn't change the outcome of not being able to play for the championship.  While I agree with you that life isn't fair FSU beat every team that was put on their schedule before losing to Alabama.  Once they got left out of the playoffs it didn't do them any good to play the game.

If you believe you got jobbed, and the bowl committee is giving you a shot against the other team that thinks it got jobbed, and the winner of the game stands a good chance to leapfrog two or even three of the Final Four teams in the final rankings, you go out there and show the college football world what you're really made of.

Or you just meekly surrender, as Knute Rockne would have wanted it.

FSU was down a lot of starters, but 63-3 makes you look more like Bethune-Cookman than a Top 6 team that's down a lot of starters. 

This will likely go away in the 12 team format, but if bowl games become an opt-out exercise, the tv networks should get their money back. 

• Plus1 2