The 1890 Initiative

Mavric

I'd seen several reports that there may be issues because Trev hadn't seemed to throw his full support behind 1890.

That doesn't appear to be the case.

Speaking exclusively with On3 last week, the Nebraska athletic director pushed back on the narrative he doesn’t back 1890. Alberts stated he’s made multiple appearances for the collective. 

“We’ve done a lot,” he said. “I go to their events and speak and thank them. I’m grateful for 1890. Again, certain places have created state laws that allowed them to have more involvement. And we haven’t done that in our state yet. But we’re very, very supportive of – there’s multiple folks, not just 1890.

“… We’ve had a lot of people, a lot of donors in the state of Nebraska and beyond that have really helped us in this space. It’s been really, really important to us.”

On3

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, HuskerX said:

I look forward to NIL eventually going away and players getting paid via contracts with schools. It’s coming, and wouldn’t have as many portal issues as now.

That opens so many ugly doors it might not actually ever happen. Unions, workers comp, individual state labor laws. Even having to pay taxes on their current scholarship would be a huge shift.

• TBH 1
12 hours ago, zeWilbur said:

That opens so many ugly doors it might not actually ever happen. Unions, workers comp, individual state labor laws. Even having to pay taxes on their current scholarship would be a huge shift.

Taxes on not just the scholarship.  There would be taxes on any food at training tables, and gear they get for "free" (shoes, t-shirts, etc.), tutoring, athletic training and more.  They would all be considered fringe benefits and show up on their W-2 at the end of the year.  It would probably be OK for the starters on the football team & some of the volleyball and men's basketball players, but everyone else would be hosed at the end of the year when it came time to file taxes.

16 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

Taxes on not just the scholarship.  There would be taxes on any food at training tables, and gear they get for "free" (shoes, t-shirts, etc.), tutoring, athletic training and more.  They would all be considered fringe benefits and show up on their W-2 at the end of the year.  It would probably be OK for the starters on the football team & some of the volleyball and men's basketball players, but everyone else would be hosed at the end of the year when it came time to file taxes.

Do you get taxed for lunch your work provides, or swag? I don't and I work for a large company who would get audited for that sort of thing, so I don't think that's accurate.

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Do you get taxed for lunch your work provides, or swag? I don't and I work for a large company who would get audited for that sort of thing, so I don't think that's accurate.

Technically, you should.  But, it's obviously not enforced much.  There are things I've wanted to do for employees and was told...."well, we will have to include that in their income then".

13 hours ago, zeWilbur said:

None of this is new. And frankly, schools will employ financial advisors to help players as part of the services they offer. 

Players will unionize and sign a Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) just like the NBA/NFL does. They'll probably negotiate for 50% of the revenue. What remains to be seen is if that CBA is individual to a school, conference or a new governing body for the sport. 

Just to give you an idea of the money players would receive - B1G TV money is going to approach $100 million alone. Typically a union would also split all revenue - ticket sales, concessions, parking, apparel, etc. - but for this example let's stick to $100 million per year. Nebraska players negotiate for $50 million. With 85 scholarship players that equals $588k per player, per year.

• Plus1 1