NFL 2023

Mavric

3 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

Growing up in the 70's in Grand Island, most of us were either Cowboy or Bronco fans.  Honestly, I don't remember any of my fans being Chief fans.

It was pretty much the same growing up in Columbus except it seemed to be Broncos or Packers primarily. I don’t recall the Chiefs being a Nebraska thing like it seems to be now.

So if you are the GM of your NFL team and you can make the picks, including trading up or down, trading current players on roster, trading future picks, etc, etc...... to make it all happen in this draft and for 2024 ....... What would you do for your team to be exciting and really good? 

PS.  I hate how teams keep doing the same thing with draft picks, including multiple 1st rounders.  For instance, if you draft an offensive player then your next pick has to be a defensive player ZOMG and keep flipping the sides.  Why??? Why do teams keep doing this for the past 20 years and keep getting nowhere?!  When are you going to learn

My thing is this.  If you suck on offense, don't even think about a defensive draft pick until round 4.  Load up your offense for a few years.  What you might need on defense, find a plug-n-play guy in free-agency.  It's just defense.  Consider scoring and building your ultimate offense first.  Load up on the best skill players in the draft.  Grab some linemen in round 2 and 3.  After that, then pay some attention with draft picks on your defense. 

If I am GM of the Chicago Bears, here is what I would do with all consideration to our terrible offense and who we have to beat (the Lions, Packers, Vikings).

1.  You have a talented QB that could become better with other pieces.  

2.  You need a Center badly.  This is a great draft for that.

3.  You have the #1 pick

4.  You have the #9 pick.

5.  You don't have a 2nd round pick.

6.  Your offense is terrible and hasn't been a top 5-10 offense in years.

7.  You keep trying to build defense.  But your defense is usually OK.

8.  You have a new OC now.

9.  You have have a RB committee.  Why not have the best back in the league, or someone who is a top 5 RB in the NFL?

DJ Moore - 96 catches & nearly 1400 yards

Cole Kmet - Tight End -  73 catches 700 yards

Combined for 14 touchdowns

Your next 3 best receivers ??? 

34 catches

17 catches

5 catches

That's your receiver group with a Tight End.  

I want offense.  I would dump everything into it.

Trade the #1 pick.  Go get Marvin Harrison Jr and put him with DJ Moore & Kmet.  Keep Fields unless you can get a 2nd rounder (doubt it).  

Harrison is a generational talent that will win games for 10-15 years.

Also draft either Jayden Daniels or Michael Penix.  Let whoever sit behind Fields for his final season.  

Get your center - there are 2 guys that are can't miss - projected late first round and the other a mid second rounder.  

Grab a running back - this class has 4-6 studs that will fall between late 1st round and 3rd round.

Build your offense.  Score touchdowns.  Bring excitement.  Think about defense next year

And please Chicago, stop saying Justin Fields is due for a big extension this offseason.  You stupid fools.

He signed a 4 year deal for $18 mil including $11 mil bonus, and $18 mil was guaranteed.

Next year in 2024 he will make $1.6 mil, plus $1.6 roster bonus.  
A total of $3.2 mil to play QB next year (2024).  That is literally nothing for quarterbacks.

His 4 year contact averages out to, $4.7 mil per year.

How about the others???

Lamar Jackson 5 yrs - $260 MIL / $52 MIL per year
Jalen Hurts 5 yrs - $255 MIL / $51 MIL per year
Kyler Murray 5 yrs - $230 MIL / $46 MIL per year
Justin Herbert 5 yrs - $262 MIL / $52 MIL per year
Dak Prescott 4 yrs - $160 MIL / $40 MIL per year

And none of them won a Super Bowl.  

Tell me again, what will Fields make next year?  His contract is ranked #35 among the leagues QBs. 

His trade value is worth a college 3rd rounder to 4th round pick.  

His "5th year option" for 2025 is estimated $22-23 million.

He has 1 WR, a TE, , a new OC, a team needing a Center ASAP, a RB committee of 3, and you keep putting all your eggs into defense.  

I'd keep Fields for his final year.  Trade down and Draft a QB (Daniels or Penix).  Get the best receiver coming into the draft.  Get the best Center in the draft.  Get a stud RB.  

You need a top 5 offense if you want Super Bowls.  So go draft it and put it together.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Go Chiefs!!!!

Where I live in Nebraska, it’s pretty split between Chiefs and Broncos. I think there are more NFL fans now due to being able to see all the games on TV. 

Yessir….

I think if the Chiefs defense can stop the run and hold Christian to under 70 yards rushing it’s a Chiefs win.  

If feels like the Chiefs have figured things out enough on offense to score 24 and I don’t think the 49ers can without a good day rushing against the chiefs D.   Their secondary is too good.  

And I would love for Pacheco to have a game!  It’s no coincidence the Chiefs offense has done better once they figured out he’s a guy they can rely on more.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Yessir….

I think if the Chiefs defense can stop the run and hold Christian to under 70 yards rushing it’s a Chiefs win.  

If feels like the Chiefs have figured things out enough on offense to score 24 and I don’t think the 49ers can without a good day rushing against the chiefs D.   Their secondary is too good.  

And I would love for Pacheco to have a game!  It’s no coincidence the Chiefs offense has done better once they figured out he’s a guy they can rely on more.  

The receivers finally figured out they are supposed to actually catch the ball. If they keep that up, I think Chiefs win. I don’t think the 49ers D is good enough.  

It’s nice being able to root for a midwestern team and not just two teams from the coasts.  

• TBH 1

A little sad, a little disappointed, and a little upset with FOX.

Greg Olson has quickly become one of the best NFL TV game analysts.  I love him, yall like him too.  Everybody does.  He just does a great job.  He's so honest and knowledgeable, plus he articulates the game in his own way that keeps it exciting.  

Apparently, FOX has demoted him from the "A team" status to the "B team" status in order to elevate Tom Brady. 

Not only will Brady learn how to be an analyst for FOX NFL games next season - and calling the best games - he is already penciled in for the Super Bowl.  

That's right, next year at this time Tom Brady will be the game's analyst for the Super Bowl. 

Who knows, maybe he will turn out to be really good.

Just feeling bad for Olson and all that he has to offer and has already accomplished.  I would love to hear him do the Super Bowl.