NFL 2023

Mavric

16 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

The same thought entered my mind :lol:  The Broncos don’t like the Chiefs. At. All. But they were barely a speed bump in Elway’s day. It would’ve been better if Elway had a scowl on his face but he seemed glad to be there, hugging people and crap.

There were a couple of times that Elway ended some really good Chiefs' seasons in the playoffs back in the day. 

15 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

It was a good football match-up, though K.C. remains a relatively small metro market and SF is not in the Top 10. The halftime show wasn't exactly can't miss performers. The new streaming platforms didn't add much to CBS's historic network numbers. 

Would a person be wrong to suggest Taylor Swift made the difference? 

• TBH 1
35 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It was a good football match-up, though K.C. remains a relatively small metro market and SF is not in the Top 10. The halftime show wasn't exactly can't miss performers. The new streaming platforms didn't add much to CBS's historic network numbers. 

It's only an 8 million jump from last year, so maybe? 

37 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Taylor's certainly a part of it, and it'd be disingenuous of anyone to suggest otherwise.

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The Chiefs are right behind Dallas I believe in television draw even with its market size, combined with it being a very compelling matchup that was a good game (SF had a great team with star power),  Mahomes is the biggest name in the sport by far, more and more states add gambling which adds reasons to watch and the Swift effect.  It all adds up to bigger numbers imo.   Not just one thing.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
33 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

The Chiefs are right behind Dallas I believe in television draw even with its market size, combined with it being a very compelling matchup that was a good game (SF had a great team with star power),  Mahomes is the biggest name in the sport by far, more and more states add gambling which adds reasons to watch and the Swift effect.  It all adds up to bigger numbers imo.   Not just one thing.  

I think the explosion in gambling, loaded with prop bets, probably has added some viewers.

3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think the explosion in gambling, loaded with prop bets, probably has added some viewers.

I’ve been hearing some talk about SF now missing their “window” to win a championship because of cap issues going forward.   I have no idea on this as I don’t follow them, but are they gonna have a hard time keeping some key  contributors for the near future.  Then Purdy will start to get real expensive in 2 years. 

• Plus1 1

14 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I’ve been hearing some talk about SF now missing their “window” to win a championship because of cap issues going forward.   I have no idea on this as I don’t follow them, but are they gonna have a hard time keeping some key  contributors for the near future.  Then Purdy will start to get real expensive in 2 years. 

Yeah, the Niners had to make Nick Bosa the highest paid non QB in order to keep him, and made a pretty huge commitment to Deebo Samuel two years ago, and are currently a team with 9 NFL all-stars who would expect to be paid accordingly. I think they'll shed some salary on a couple overpaid underperformers and remain pretty much intact next year. Purdy proved he's no fluke and they will make another run, but even if you're great it's a hard when the only acceptable outcome is a SB victory.

The story here on the home turf is that they may be willing to throw our defensive coordinator under the bus for a season of questionable play calling.

• Haha 1
37 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yeah, the Niners had to make Nick Bosa the highest paid non QB in order to keep him, and made a pretty huge commitment to Deebo Samuel two years ago, and are currently a team with 9 NFL all-stars who would expect to be paid accordingly. I think they'll shed some salary on a couple overpaid underperformers and remain pretty much intact next year. Purdy proved he's no fluke and they will make another run, but even if you're great it's a hard when the only acceptable outcome is a SB victory.

The story here on the home turf is that they may be willing to throw our defensive coordinator under the bus for a season of questionable play calling.

Purdy played much better than I expected.  He seemed to hold his composure pretty well under all that pressure.    

I think he will kick himself on a few throws that he got pressure on and missed what side to go to.  But all in all for his first Super Bowl he did just fine.