2023 Spring Practice Notes - Running Backs

37 minutes ago, The Dude said:

The NFL tends to have a big-back infatuation too.   For example, only 3 guys hit 1,500 yards last season.  All 3 guys are 220+.  Derrick Henry is closer to 250.  Do you think the league's infatuation is because of some Nebraska sports writer they never heard of, or is it because bigger, stronger, faster guys tend to be more successful at the position?

Yeah, that's not really the same thing.  Saying the best backs in the world are bigger doesn't mean that the biggest backs we have are the best options.

The top five rushers in the NCAA last year were all between 195 pounds and 215 pounds.  

I'd take Derrick Henry if we had him.  But just because Derrick Henry is great doesn't mean that we should give it to Jaquez Yant 20 times per game, as some people wanted to.

• Plus1 2
44 minutes ago, The Dude said:

The NFL tends to have a big-back infatuation too.   For example, only 3 guys hit 1,500 yards last season.  All 3 guys are 220+.  Derrick Henry is closer to 250.  Do you think the league's infatuation is because of some Nebraska sports writer they never heard of, or is it because bigger, stronger, faster guys tend to be more successful at the position?

Yeah, because the running back situation NU has had for the past 20+ years is just like the best RB's in the NFL.  As Mav did a good job pointing out, I would love to have a 240-250 pound back with the speed and skill that Henry has.   The big backs NU has had have been far from that.  The big backs that NU have had struggle to find holes or make their way through creases in the line, and don't have the outside speed and quickness that other backs at NU have had.

My comment about the "big back infatuation" has to do with fans and media member(s) wanting the big back to get more carries and touches despite a lack of success and production from those big backs.

• TBH 1
28 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, that's not really the same thing.  Saying the best backs in the world are bigger doesn't mean that the biggest backs we have are the best options.

The top five rushers in the NCAA last year were all between 195 pounds and 215 pounds.  

I'd take Derrick Henry if we had him.  But just because Derrick Henry is great doesn't mean that we should give it to Jaquez Yant 20 times per game, as some people wanted to.

It was reasonable to wonder why Yant wasn't getting more carries after giving a struggling offense a spark.  I think it was because he did well when he did get carries and not because he was big.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, The Dude said:

It was reasonable to wonder why Yant wasn't getting more carries after giving a struggling offense a spark.  I think it was because he did well when he did get carries and not because he was big.

What other memories do you have of him besides the NW game where he gave us a "spark"?  When he fell over on the 2 yard line vs MN?  Refusing to go into the game at the end of the Purdue game? 

Did he do well when he got carries?  In 2022, he had 20 carries for 56 yards (2.8 ypc). 

• Plus1 4
  • TBH 2
21 minutes ago, Red Five said:

What other memories do you have of him besides the NW game where he gave us a "spark"?  When he fell over on the 2 yard line vs MN?  Refusing to go into the game at the end of the Purdue game? 

Did he do well when he got carries?  In 2022, he had 20 carries for 56 yards (2.8 ypc). 

That's about it. That one game.  But that's about it for any back we've had since Ozigbo.    Maybe Grant's performances against similar competition.  It's not like smaller guys have been stepping up much either.

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

I wish we could have played NW more times in 2021 also.  Not in 2022 though, giving them their only W was plenty for me. 

• TBH 1