RockyMountainOySker

What are you reading right now?

41Qrv6MZPfL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Started reading this after a tweet knapplc posted in the P&R forums.

As a white male, born in the late 80s, in a middle class neighborhood, racism and segregation seemed like a problem of yesteryear that wasn't an issue anymore. Naturally, as I got older, I learned a lot more about how this isn't the case, and this book is a real eye opener. It helps put into perspective how hard it has been, even in the 21st century, to undo centuries of racism.

Wanted to update that I finished this.

Overall, a very enjoyable book and one I recommend to everyone. I didn't agree with a few of the conclusions she arrived at, and my biggest critique of the book is that she presented a lot of opinion and some "evidence" about the Reagan administration, the 1980s drug war, the CIA and the Contras as fact without providing near as much documentation as other parts of the book. It also felt like a far too detailed tangent in comparison to the overall theme of the book.

d8dbaceb20224738f7dae88308d4ea0e.jpg

I started reading this series last month. I'm almost finished with the 2nd book. I guess they are technically "teen fiction" but I'm not so sure about that. Basically the story is told through journals from a 12 year old boy in 1888. His parents died in a house fire and he was taken in by his father's employer, a doctor of monstrumology (yes, study of monsters). They are fast reads so far. Lots of really gory details throughout, but I am enjoying them. This guy also wrote the '5th Wave' series.

Finally finished the last book. It was quite the dark turn away from the other 3. I enjoyed them though and I would recommend them.

I'm hoping to have an ambitious summer of reading:

The Magicians series:

220px-TheMagicians.jpg

Kinda like an adult Harry Potter. I've been watching their show on Syfy (the first season is on Netflix) and we've been hooked.

The story revolves around a set of children's books similar to The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe but it turns out that Fillory (Narnia) is real but it's not all sunshine and daisies.

Three books in the series: The Magicians, The Magician King, and The Magician's Land

I also just purchased the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I always wanted to read it but I never did.

In addition, I added a few books from female authors since I don't seem to ever read anything written by a woman:

Idaho by Emily Ruskovish

Dead Letters by Caite Dolan-Leach

Sympathy by Olivia Sudjic

An American Life - Ronald Reagan's autobiography. Very enjoyable read with all of the stories told with the Reagan humor. I think liberals would like it also!

He talks a lot about his upbringing, his family, how he got into politics, and his the importance of his faith.

Starts with his birth and goes through his transition from being a Dem to a Repub (although he would not identify with the current class of Republicans - regardless how they

try to claim his mantle) and covers his fight against communism (starting during his acting days) and also his desire to reduce the # of nukes.

9781451628395_p0_v3_s192x300.jpg

Just finished reading Ready Player One. Just an awesome, fun book, especially with all of the 70s, 80s and modern day pop culture references. A quick read, too.

61d6DhRCBSL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Also, I picked this up after years of having people recommend it to me. It dives into the World Fair in Chicago, the construction/headaches surrounding it and how H.H. Holmes used it as his hunting ground to commit many of his murders. The book is touted as non-fiction and based on the compilation of diaries, notes, speeches, etc. that were collected from H.H. Holmes, his victim's families, the architects who designed the fair, etc.

51IqhTjyl-L._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I just got done reading a short story...it was about a mechanic that was JUST about to close up shop for the night when...all of a sudden two blazing hot girls pulled in because their car was making some "noises" well of course this mechanic was going to help out.  Well as he was working on the car the girls were getting a little flirty...I think you can see where this is going...

I can't remember where I read it...something Forum...

Reading  through a list of top 100 books all time . Alternating with biographies of presidents etc. Currently reading this one. 

543AFEA7-4650-4D21-8E21-F622263FC064.jpeg

For self-improvement--Tools of Titans by Tim Ferris

For funsies/interesting--Flash Boys by Michael Lewis

I read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas for probably the 10th time.  I love it because the writing is superb and you can read the whole thing in an afternoon.  One of my favorites. 

Underrated movie too.  It's the only movie I know of that changes genres depending on your state of mind.  If you watch it sober it's a slapstick comedy.  Watch it high then it's a serious drama about drug addiction.

Could have done without 20 pages of Jibberish Joe Gargery, babbling incoherently, lol and the ending was meh.,

All in all, a very good read though.

great ex.jpg

On 3/22/2017 at 10:18 AM, GSG said:

I'm hoping to have an ambitious summer of reading:

The Magicians series:

220px-TheMagicians.jpg

Kinda like an adult Harry Potter. I've been watching their show on Syfy (the first season is on Netflix) and we've been hooked.

The story revolves around a set of children's books similar to The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe but it turns out that Fillory (Narnia) is real but it's not all sunshine and daisies.

Three books in the series: The Magicians, The Magician King, and The Magician's Land

I also just purchased the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I always wanted to read it but I never did.

In addition, I added a few books from female authors since I don't seem to ever read anything written by a woman:

Idaho by Emily Ruskovish

Dead Letters by Caite Dolan-Leach

Sympathy by Olivia Sudjic

Talk about abject failure. I just finished the fourth book in the Dark Tower series (Wizard and Glass). The whole series is connected to almost every book King has written, which is pretty crazy to me. Other than that, I didn't read s#!t :(

On 5/11/2018 at 4:24 AM, Danimal said:

I'm currently on the 13th book of the Wheel of Time series, 14th if you include the prequel.

May the Light illumine you.

1 hour ago, GSG said:

Talk about abject failure. I just finished the fourth book in the Dark Tower series (Wizard and Glass). The whole series is connected to almost every book King has written, which is pretty crazy to me. Other than that, I didn't read s#!t :(

I haven't read a new book for something like 5 years, so I'm more of a failure.

3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I gave up on the Wheel of Time series somewhere around book 7. The plot hadn't advanced much for several books and the characters were pretty much static.

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I gave up on the Wheel of Time series somewhere around book 7. The plot hadn't advanced much for several books and the characters were pretty much static.

That's usually about where people stop if they stop. I really liked book 7 on re-reading it. Books 8 and 10 are awful. 9 is okay. 11 is really good and people tend to really like 12-14 but the new author's writing and obsession with Perrin bothered me.

My favs are books 3, 4, & 6.

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:50 AM, Moiraine said:

Finished the series last week. Felt somewhat melancholy, after reading about the same characters for the past year I was kinda sad to see it all end. Agree with the sentiment that it bogged-down some in the upper-middle of the series, but at least Jordan finished strong with  11. Thought Sanderson really brought it home well in the last three books. I'm now starting on his stuff with the Mistborn series. 

7 hours ago, Danimal said:

Finished the series last week. Felt somewhat melancholy, after reading about the same characters for the past year I was kinda sad to see it all end. Agree with the sentiment that it bogged-down some in the upper-middle of the series, but at least Jordan finished strong with  11. Thought Sanderson really brought it home well in the last three books. I'm now starting on his stuff with the Mistborn series. 

Mistborn is really good, although it gets really weird.

If you like fantasy books, then I recommend Robin Hobb and Brent Weeks.

I just finished these two:  

TinCupDreamsCover.jpg

"Tin Cup Dreams: A Longshot Makes it on the PGA Tour" by Michael D'Antonio.    Pretty good read.  It's about Esteban Toledo.  

the-real-history-of-the-end-of-the-world

"The Real History of the End of the World" By Sharan Newman.  It's a compilation of various end of the world prophesies.  With attempts at humor mixed in.  Decent book.  I'd recommend it. 

Excellent story telling. I've gotten a much better appreciation for Grant since reading.   Good chance the North doesn't win the civil war without him.  Too many missteps by too many generals who didn't have a clue to what they were doing. Grant made some mistakes also but learned from them.  He was aggressive. 

Cover art

American Ulysses: A Life of Ulysses S. Grant

Ronald C. WhiteOctober 4, 2016

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • From the author of A. Lincoln, a major new biography of one of America’s greatest generals—and most misunderstood presidents

On 6/14/2018 at 9:37 AM, NUance said:

I just finished these two:  

TinCupDreamsCover.jpg

"Tin Cup Dreams: A Longshot Makes it on the PGA Tour" by Michael D'Antonio.    Pretty good read.  It's about Esteban Toledo.  

the-real-history-of-the-end-of-the-world

"The Real History of the End of the World" By Sharan Newman.  It's a compilation of various end of the world prophesies.  With attempts at humor mixed in.  Decent book.  I'd recommend it. 

The bold:  End of the world & humor does seem to match well  - kind of like water and oil  or :ahhhhhhhh& :laughpound

55 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

The bold:  End of the world & humor does seem to match well  - kind of like water and oil  or :ahhhhhhhh& :laughpound

Ha ha!  Yeah, I guess I have eclectic tastes.   The previous two before those were Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time" and "Soccer for Dummies."   

3 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Excellent story telling. I've gotten a much better appreciation for Grant since reading.   Good chance the North doesn't win the civil war without him.  Too many missteps by too many generals who didn't have a clue to what they were doing. Grant made some mistakes also but learned from them.  He was aggressive. 

Been working my way through The Civil War by Ken Burns.  It is amazing how much bungling went on in the Union Army.

14 hours ago, Mavric said:

Been working my way through The Civil War by Ken Burns.  It is amazing how much bungling went on in the Union Army.

Agree - there were these 'political' generals who had very little knowledge of how to lead strategically.  Petty jealousy between generals, some were overly cautious (scared to fight I think) - so many blown opportunities of not 'finishing' off the victory and allowing the southern armies to escape.  Good thing Grant had Sherman, Sheridan, & McPherson and a couple of others.

On 6/12/2018 at 7:30 AM, GSG said:

I seem to be gaining some steam here. Finished Wizard and Glass which had a pretty sad ending. I tore through The Wind Through the Keyhole (Dark Tower #4.5) which was really bittersweet. Starting Wolves of the Calla today.