What are you reading right now?

The Man With The Golden Arm - Nelson Algren

A friend got me this after finding to his disbelief, I had never read it.

He assumed that since I liked Charles Bukowski, I had read it years ago.

Guess I dismissed it after seeing the movie, which was just OK.

He said it might be hard to get through the first half, but to hang in there.

So far that hasn't been a problem; enjoy the street slang from that period.

Can see why it won the first ever National Book Award.

Reading .......... "Usain Bolt - my story"

Bought it while in Jamaica. I love track and field and I am a Usain fan. To see the country of Jamaica first hand, while reading the story of him growing up, really paints a vivid picture. Pretty good read.

A friend got me this after finding to his disbelief, I had never read it.

He assumed that since I liked Charles Bukowski, I had read it years ago.

Have you seen either of the movies Barfly or Factotum? Both loosely based on Bukowski's exploits. I thought Barfly (Mickey Rourke) was better. But Factorum (Matt Dillion) is a good movie too. Factorum is on Netflix. Seeing these movies makes me want to read some of Bukowski's material. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I read this a couple months ago:

Boozehound: On the Trail of the Rare, the Obscure, and the Overrated in Spirits

http://www.amazon.com/Boozehound-Trail-Obscure-Overrated-Spirits/dp/1580082882/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359050430&sr=1-1&keywords=boozehound

boozehound.jpg

It was pretty interesting. It gave me a strong desire to start trying a lot of different liquors and drinks. Has lots of personal stories and at the end of each chapter he "makes" drinks.

qgqlWpa.jpg

This non-fiction book is about Michael Swango, a serial killer doctor. He poisoned around 60 people--patients and colleagues. Perhaps one of the most prolific serial killers in all of history. Both Michael Swango and the author James Stewart are from the small town where I now live. I met Stewart at a book signing last year (for a different book of his). "Blind Eye" refers to the hospitals where Swango worked (e.g., THE Ohio State Med Center). Instead of investigating the suspicious deaths of Swango's patients, the hospital administrators denied the problem and tried to cover it up, allowing him to move to a new job and kill more people.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm going back through my collection of William Gibson novels and short stories. After spending the better part of the last two years reading Victorian England era novels, this is a BIG departure.

Gibson is the guy who coined the term "cyberspace," and was the author of Johnny Mnemonic, now a major motion picture starring Keanu Reeves. Reading Burning Chrome right now, then into the Sprawl books and probably eventually finishing up with The Difference Engine.