What are you reading right now?

Men's Health has a list of 11 Summer Reads for Men

http://www.menshealth.com/best-life/best-beach-books?fullpage=true

I picked 1 from each category that I thought sounded interesting.

Novels

The Son by Phillip Meyer (Ecco)

A multigenerational Western spanning the 1800s Comanche raids in Texas to the 20th century oil boom, The Son is due out on May 28 and has already earned praise as possibly one of the great American novels. “When you’ve finished the last page, you’ll take a breath and wonder how the hell Meyer could possibly surpass this monument of a book,” says Chris Schluep, senior editor of books at Amazon.com.

Short Story Collections

The Fun Parts: Stories by Sam Lipsyte (Farrar, Straus and Giroux)

Lipsyte's 2010 novel The Ask was a darkly funny examination of millennial white collar self-loathing. In this collection of a dozen short stories, the author covers everything from a monster preying on a boy's fantasy realm to a male childbirthing coach.“Lipsyte specializes in people in over their heads, trying to talk their way out of absurd situations of their own design,” says Ellen Wernecke, a book reviewer for The Onion's A.V. Club.

Non-Fiction

Lawrence in Arabia: War, Deceit, Imperial Folly and the Making of the Modern Middle East by Scott Anderson (Doubleday)

Anderson's carefully researched account of British Army officer T.E. Lawrence during the Arab Revolt in World War I overturns everything you think you knew about the Middle East. Anderson makes the case that the groundwork for many of our modern problems was laid by not just the famed Lawrence, but also the men working for him—who were maybe not so different from yourself. “These relatively low level officers had their own adventurous hand in the affairs of the region,” says Schluep.

Just finished Who's on First by William F. Buckley Jr.

It is a thriller about an American CIA agent during the start of the Cold War. Pretty entertaining

I just started The Simeon Chamber by Steve Martini. Not bad so far.

Just finished Who's on First by William F. Buckley Jr.

It is a thriller about an American CIA agent during the start of the Cold War. Pretty entertaining

I just started The Simeon Chamber by Steve Martini. Not bad so far.

The Simeon Chamber is very interesting. Most of Steve Martini's books follow a central character named Paul Madriani but this one is a stand alone.

I am not sure if any of you read his books, but author Vince Flynn died today at age 47 from cancer. He has written several fictional novels about counter-terrorism and the CIA. All but one of novels (the first one-Term Limits, a must read) centered around a central character named Mitch Rapp. His books are very exciting and I recommend that you read them.

Moneyball-The-Art-of-Winning.jpg

"Moneyball." Michael Lewis. (He's one of my favorite authors.) He wrote "Blind Side" about Michael Oher, now offensive tackle for the Ravens. His best book though, IMHO, is "Liars Poker." About bond traders in the 70s and 80s.

/Edit: I liked the book "Moneyball" so much that I stopped by the video store and bought the movie. Prolly watch it tonight.

Was trying to slog through Brothers Karamazov but found it much more difficult to swallow than Notes from the Underground. That and I read three Albert Camus works straight and need a break from philosophical stuff.

So, moved on to this gem:

9780812970586_p0_v1_s260x420.jpg

Very engaging read. Definitely give it a shot if your a Roman Empire buff.