What are you reading right now?

zkRVO5Dl.jpg

Bought this for $5 yesterday at a little bookshop not far from my house. Read it to my three-year old son last night while sitting in front of the fireplace. I think I liked it more than him. He prefers more exciting stuff. Like "David and Goliath." :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished this:

cloud-atlas-book-cover.jpg?w=400

If you don't know anything about it, the book is made up of 6 stories. The stories are split up in the book in an A-B-C-D-E-F-E-D-C-B-A format.

I really struggled with the first half because it was just pages and pages of background information. However, the second half was totally worth it. Each story takes place during a different time period, ranging from 1850 to a distant future. The stories are all connected in different ways. Pretty cool book.

• 4 weeks later...

Wife gave me her tablet that she no longer wanted to haul around.

Thought I would try out ebooks and lighten the load in my backpack.

Heck, I just got my first 'smartphone' 5 months ago...yea, I still wear a watch every day.

Discovered Zinio digital magazines through my local library.

Now I can catch up on some mags I would sometimes get:

Bicycle times and Bicycling

Canoe and Kayak

Outside and Backpacker

Nice addition to the ebooks, audio books, and freegal music they offer.

Couldn't find my copy of " King Rat " so stopped in at the main branch and checked it out.

( will always enjoy holding a book...)

Find that I need to reread it every 3 months or so, same with the Foundation Series by Asimov.

You can teach an old dog a new trick!

Wife gave me her tablet that she no longer wanted to haul around.

Thought I would try out ebooks and lighten the load in my backpack.

Heck, I just got my first 'smartphone' 5 months ago...yea, I still wear a watch every day.

Discovered Zinio digital magazines through my local library.

Now I can catch up on some mags I would sometimes get:

Bicycle times and Bicycling

Canoe and Kayak

Outside and Backpacker

Nice addition to the ebooks, audio books, and freegal music they offer.

Couldn't find my copy of " King Rat " so stopped in at the main branch and checked it out.

( will always enjoy holding a book...)

Find that I need to reread it every 3 months or so, same with the Foundation Series by Asimov.

You can teach an old dog a new trick!

I bought a Kindle three or so years ago. One of the best decisions I ever made. There are some functionality issues that would piss off a dedicated annotator, but if all you want to do is read and maybe highlight an occasional passage or two, it just makes sense to get an e-reader.

I'm contemplating a cross-country move in August, and one of the things that occurs to me every time I think about packing my books is that I could quite literally carry a library ten times the size of the one I have in my pocket. You can't really put a price tag on that kind of convenience. Probably not the right thread, but I think e-reading is the future of books. I prefer the Kindle design to a backlit tablet screen (Fire model, Ipad), but whatever floats your boat, it looks like a rapidly growing number of people are with me on that one.

Oh, and if anyone likes to read classics, you will literally recoup the cost of a low-end Kindle in about thirty minutes of clicking for free books. That's to say nothing about the (generally) reduced prices, daily deals, the monthly specials, the (frowned upon) possibility of torrenting, etc., etc.

There's a whole conversation to be had about the future of the publishing industry. Whatever that future looks like, as a reader I feel like I struck gold living in the here and now. Almost anything you want is a click away. No shipping. No bulk. No BS.