What are you reading right now?

500x500_2803341_file.jpeg

So incredibly good so far, and I'm told that I haven't even gotten to the best parts of it.

I don't have a statistics background per se, but I do have an interest in stats and their proper acquisition, study, and usage as a result of a lot of biology study. Plus I'm really into sports, sports betting, poker, and stuff like that. This does a great job explaining common missteps regarding the use of statistics in various fields and applications, as well as some ways you can use data effectively. Sounds boring, but I promise you it is no textbook. Real-world examples from everything from finance, flu outbreaks, politics, chess, baseball... This book is a fantastic read.

I'm currently reading Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol. I've read The Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons and I've purchased Inferno, but I'm waiting to finish The Lost Symbol. Also on the list are Brown's novels Digital Fortress and Deception Point.

So far, The Lost Symbol has been OK in comparison to his other novels that I've read. Not as good but still enjoyable.

I'm currently reading the William Gibson works. Started with Burning Chrome, went through the Sprawl series and the Bridge series and now I'm reading The Difference Engine. Good stuff, and he's a visionary writer, but it's funny sometimes to see how far off some of his predictions were. Faxes still being used 100 years from now? I'm guessing not. :D

I'm currently reading the William Gibson works. Started with Burning Chrome, went through the Sprawl series and the Bridge series and now I'm reading The Difference Engine. Good stuff, and he's a visionary writer, but it's funny sometimes to see how far off some of his predictions were. Faxes still being used 100 years from now? I'm guessing not. :D

What are these like/about, and what genre?

BookCover.jpg

"Midnight Assassin" (non-fiction)

On a moonlit night in December 1900, a prosperous Iowa farmer was murdered in his bed--killed by two blows of an ax to his head. Four days later, the victim's wife, Margaret Hossack, was arrested at her husband's funeral and charged with the crime. LINK

BookCover.jpg

"Midnight Assassin" (non-fiction)

On a moonlit night in December 1900, a prosperous Iowa farmer was murdered in his bed--killed by two blows of an ax to his head. Four days later, the victim's wife, Margaret Hossack, was arrested at her husband's funeral and charged with the crime. LINK

Is that the one with the haunted house now or am I thinking of something else?

No haunted house. Just some Iowa farmer who got his brains bashed in while sleeping in his bed. Probably by his wife. Yikes! :lol:

No haunted house. Just some Iowa farmer who got his brains bashed in while sleeping in his bed. Probably by his wife. Yikes! :lol:

SMH, women... can't live with 'em... at all lol

My bad. I spaced off this thread/comment.

Gibson's work is largely considered seminal in the cyberpunk genre. He coined such terms as "cyberspace" and generally came up with the concept of the internet 10-15 years before it became reality. They're dystopian sci/fi and I'd recommend them, even if some of his future predictions do seem out of date today.

My bad. I spaced off this thread/comment.

Gibson's work is largely considered seminal in the cyberpunk genre. He coined such terms as "cyberspace" and generally came up with the concept of the internet 10-15 years before it became reality. They're dystopian sci/fi and I'd recommend them, even if some of his future predictions do seem out of date today.

I love sci-fi. Dune was one of my favorite books of all time.