Holiday Bowl from Arizona's perspective

ADS

Cornerback Trevin Wade offers his own theory.

"People wanted to go home for Christmas and see their families," he said. "I know it's all business and everything, but we're still college kids and people wanted to go home. Had they given us a couple days, people would have come back happy and ready to go."

Hmm. Asked about that, quarterback Nick Foles said, "He might have something there but I don't know. I really have no comment on that."

I agree with Foles reaction to that quote.

Although he really might have something there (didn't our players get to go home?), but you can't go around making an excuse like that after a drubbing. Just have your head down and go into next season quietly. Foles had a tough game, but I like him as a leader and it seems he's a guy that's got his head on straight and is ready to carry the team forward for next year. Good for him. Best of luck to Arizona.

I think a team can come in unmotivated if they had been screwed by something that landed them in that bowl. Albeit that wasn't the case on our part, but if a team was expecting to be in a certain bowl but got picked to a less important game against a team they don't think they should be playing against, that can mess with one's head IMO.

Nailed miz-who and Navy game

Oh no! I wanna go home for Christmas too! Geez, I don't know how many holidays I've spent ALONE. These guys are essentially getting paid to play football but they can't get up for a game cuz they didn't get to see what was in the stocking come Christmas morning? Lame, lame, lame excuse. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but there are soooooo many people out there that don't have families to go to, or don't have money to celebrate holidays, or have to work during the holidays just to make sure they can keep a roof over their heads for another month. Buncha crybabies, seriously. :rant

And to add to your list of people that would love to be home for the holidays or just Christmas Day, there are soldiers all over the world that would love to have that as well.

• Fire 2

Speaking of Arizona, I love going through their message board and reading the entire thread that took place during the Holiday Bowl. It's quite amusing to watch the over-cockiness, then the panic, and then the meltdown, all while they talk about how "the Huskers just scored again..".

Oh no! I wanna go home for Christmas too! Geez, I don't know how many holidays I've spent ALONE. These guys are essentially getting paid to play football but they can't get up for a game cuz they didn't get to see what was in the stocking come Christmas morning? Lame, lame, lame excuse. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but there are soooooo many people out there that don't have families to go to, or don't have money to celebrate holidays, or have to work during the holidays just to make sure they can keep a roof over their heads for another month. Buncha crybabies, seriously. :rant

And to add to your list of people that would love to be home for the holidays or just Christmas Day, there are soldiers all over the world that would love to have that as well.

EXACTLY. I wouldn't want to be over in the Middle East either, but some people (our soldiers) understand the idea of SACRIFICE. Except they're putting their lives on the line, while these whiney football players are getting a $500 grab bag, free education, a free trip, etc to go play a GAME.

And the 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 Cornhuskers. Over those 4 years, the bowl score was 131 points scored by our opponents to our enormous scoring total of 41! What I find ironic about it all is the fact that TO caught more heat for how we performed in the 70's rather than how we performed in the late 80's and early 90's. In the 70's, we finished the season top 10 in at least one poll every year. From 1988-1992, we only finished the season top 10 in at least one poll once.

Penini Bros. 2-0, Stoops Bros. 0-2.

Interesting excuses.. Regardless of seeing your family the culmination of the entire season would be motivated enough.. if i was good enough to make D1 and make an excuse like that, my entire family would want to kick me in the balls. What a joke.

Good luck AZ next year. Dear lord.

No football team is ever unmotivated for a bowl game I don't buy that.

See, "Cornhuskers, Nebraska, 2007" for a unmotivated team.

The 2007 team was unmotivated towards the end of the season and basically quit....I'm talking about an unmotivated playing in a bowl game....two different things