Football Guy Bob

Official HB Good Beer Thread

Mohican00    6

First post and I'm reppin the GLBC.probably the best thing about Cleveand

Website Here

gl_lineup_600.jpg

My personal favorite is their porter, the Edmund Fitzgerald. It's so thick, you could cut it with a knife.

edmungfitz_bottleglass.jpg

Unfortunately Great Lakes beer is tough to find outside of the Ohio/S Michigan/W Pennsylvania area, so the next time you're in Ohio (see Oct 2012) seek some out. It's life changing!

Great thread.

To the Blue Moon/Shock Top drinkers: Hoegaarden is a great choice, as is Leffe, Wittekerke (in a light blue can), and Duvel (Awesome stuff, 8.5% alc)

Are there any Chimay fans out there?

How about Fin du Monde from Unibroue? One of my favorites.

Lastly, if I'm cuttin the grass on a hot day, it's got to be Bud concrete.

Army Husker    76

Not sure if it's been posted in this thread yet, but just killed a 6 pack of Snow Day by New Belgium. Very, very delicious is all I can say!

1075.jpg

True2tRA    2,675

I don't always drink beer.....but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis. For those who have not tried it, I really suggest trying it. I got hooked on it.

186-bouteille-biere-dos-equis.jpg

A bit of humor here worth a good laugh.

i-dont-always-drink-beer-but-when-i-do-i-savagely-beat-my-wife-and-kids.jpg

Not really funny for somebody who does something like beating their wife, but for a guy like me who thinks men who fight women or children are pussies, well then I think its funny.

illnino    12

I don't always drink beer.....but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis. For those who have not tried it, I really suggest trying it. I got hooked on it.

Dos Equis is really good, and I also like Corona. I've heard good things about Landshark too. But my beer of choice is Budweiser.

Landomatic    30

Not sure if already posted but this is where it begins and ends for me. Tastes like liquid butter. Not too light, not too dark. Everyone I've put onto it now regards it as their favorite beer. Hoegaarden baby!!!

hoegaarden-7.jpg

A somewhat distant second is Newcastle. Totally different than Hoegaarden and a little more main stream and commercial. Darker, but still very good.

Newcastle-Brown-Ale-1.jpg

huskerscott    153

Dos Equis is really good, and I also like Corona. I've heard good things about Landshark too. But my beer of choice is Budweiser.

there is a lot of buzz about LandShark right now. We call it the white mans Corona. You have got to try it on tap, its even more delicious.

ShawnWatson    1,005

If you haven't had Boulevard's Tank 7 yet, then head and get your beer game right. Its a saison which means you are going to get some pretty high doses of zest and clove/coriander tastes.

The beer is 8% alcohol but everything going on hides the high alcohol level well.

I've been pretty blurry eyed after a couple pints of this stuff.

tschu    1,594

This was my latest purchase

belgo_beer_prodshot_sm.png

New Belgium Belgo Belgian-style IPA (wow that is a lot of Belgium-related stuff going on in that title)

Pretty good stuff. Its not your typical IPA, it's more fruity and complex. If you like IPAs, it is cheap and worth a try.

BIGREDIOWAN    1,887

Leinenkugel Fireside Nut Brown is finally back!!!

444889337.jpg

Leinies eh...I'll make a Badger fan of you yet.

I'm a HUGE Leinies fan, I pretty much like everything they make. Last spring they released the Leinies Limited for a short time and I picked up about 6 6 packs of that stuff. Another beer I like is Widmer Brothers Hefeweizen out of Portland, OR. Good stuff.............Summer Shandy is my favorite of all time though.

NUpolo8    3,570
This was my latest purchase

belgo_beer_prodshot_sm.png

New Belgium Belgo Belgian-style IPA (wow that is a lot of Belgium-related stuff going on in that title)

Pretty good stuff. Its not your typical IPA, it's more fruity and complex. If you like IPAs, it is cheap and worth a try.

Holy crap this. This beer is awesome.

Excel    1,145

Leinenkugel Fireside Nut Brown is finally back!!!

444889337.jpg

Leinies eh...I'll make a Badger fan of you yet.

I'm a HUGE Leinies fan, I pretty much like everything they make. Last spring they released the Leinies Limited for a short time and I picked up about 6 6 packs of that stuff. Another beer I like is Widmer Brothers Hefeweizen out of Portland, OR. Good stuff.............Summer Shandy is my favorite of all time though.

haha glad to hear it, Leinies Red and their bock are my favorites...anyone that likes Leinies and ends up in the Northwoods of Wisconsin should definately stop by their Lodge outside Chippewa Falls (Eau Claire area), they'll give you free beer and a tour! Fun fact, the Leinies Indian Maiden's face is based on the St. Croix and Mississippi rivers that form the border between MN and WI...

USD-Husker    0

being a broke college student i can't afford good beer most of the time. lots of keystone and busch

as far as my favorites. gotta love grain belt premium, good and not too expensive. and of course grain belt nordeast

bump?

Yes, bump. I've got an updated Top 5 to list.

(in no real order, all are amazing)

Bell's Hopslam (seasonal, Michigan brewery, regional distribution)

Three Floyd's Dreadnaught (Hammond, IN near Chicago, should be able to find this across the country)

Revolution Brewery's Anti-Hero IPA (local Chicago brewery, local distribution)

Half Acre's Double Daisy Cutter (seasonal, Chicago, regional distribution)

Half Acre's Daisy Cutter (Chicago, regional distribution)

I feel very lucky living in Chicago with the beer selection here. It is hard to beat anywhere in the world, imo.

MLB 51    892

I like the dark beer's Heiny dark, Beck's dark, New Castle Brown. Not much of a selection in Oklahoma. All cold beer is 3.2%. All 5.0% and above in liquor store's only. No Coors, A-Busch or Miller product's.

how do they serve the beers in the beer tour at old chicago? bottles? draft? depends?

My roommates and I have started a collection of bottles of each different beer we try. We are trying to work brewery by brewery but some of the stuff is very hard to find.

Bradr    212

how do they serve the beers in the beer tour at old chicago? bottles? draft? depends?

My roommates and I have started a collection of bottles of each different beer we try. We are trying to work brewery by brewery but some of the stuff is very hard to find.

Each beer variety they sell has a unique number assigned to it. Like, a coors light is a 24. You need to collect 121 of these unique numbers on your beer tour card to finish the tour. Duplicates numbers (if you drink the same beer multiple times) do not count towards your total beers drank.

Some mini tours - 6 to 10 beers introduced for a holiday or season - will have different numbers for the mini tour compared to the standard beer numbers. So you might drink a guiness and get credit on your beer card. Then come back for the St Patty's day tour and get credit for Guiness again. Because the mini tour uses a temporary alternate number for the month or so it's going on, for the specific beers on the mini tour.

I believe they can only give you credit for 4 beers per visit. Some nicer waiters will also give you credit for mini tour beers, even when you don't drink them. For instance, two years ago on the St Patty's day tour, there was a vile drink that was half Sprite and half Guiness. The kindly server let me order another Guiness to count towards that drink's number on my card.

- Old Chicago Water '01-'03

carlfense    2,266

Dmitri's Revenge, a single batch Russian Imperial Stout by Lucky Bucket is currently on tap at Too Far North in Fort Calhoun.

Excellent stuff. Very drinkable for the style. Careful . . . 10.1 abv.

BIGREDIOWAN    1,887

Dmitri's Revenge, a single batch Russian Imperial Stout by Lucky Bucket is currently on tap at Too Far North in Fort Calhoun.

FYI, Leinie's just released their Russian Imperial Stout and it's fairly decent...............abv is right around 10.

carlfense    2,266

FYI, Leinie's just released their Russian Imperial Stout and it's fairly decent...............abv is right around 10.

I'll have to give that a try. I'm not a big fan of their other beers but I'm always down for a new stout.

308_Husker    121

I'll have to give that a try. I'm not a big fan of their other beers but I'm always down for a new stout.

There was a tapping party here at Jake's Cigars for a couple of Lucky Bucket brews. One was a dark Belgian Ale. I forget the name, but it was above 10 abv. It was dangerously delicious.

MLB 51    892

Not a big stout fan. A little too heavy, but wouldn't mind trying it. Any idea if you can order it out of state?

Rike Miley    1,939

Each beer variety they sell has a unique number assigned to it. Like, a coors light is a 24. You need to collect 121 of these unique numbers on your beer tour card to finish the tour. Duplicates numbers (if you drink the same beer multiple times) do not count towards your total beers drank.

Some mini tours - 6 to 10 beers introduced for a holiday or season - will have different numbers for the mini tour compared to the standard beer numbers. So you might drink a guiness and get credit on your beer card. Then come back for the St Patty's day tour and get credit for Guiness again. Because the mini tour uses a temporary alternate number for the month or so it's going on, for the specific beers on the mini tour.

I believe they can only give you credit for 4 beers per visit. Some nicer waiters will also give you credit for mini tour beers, even when you don't drink them. For instance, two years ago on the St Patty's day tour, there was a vile drink that was half Sprite and half Guiness. The kindly server let me order another Guiness to count towards that drink's number on my card.

- Old Chicago Water '01-'03

Its only 110 beers you have to drink in Omaha. Im on beer 24 of the second tour. Im getting that damn silver mug!

But to answer your question Lyons, they have a bunch of beers on draft and the ones that are not on draft are served in bottles. I know here in Omaha, on Thursday nights they have 25 oz. drafts for the price of 16 oz. I don't know if they do in Lincoln. But Id suggest saving all the drafts for Thursday nights if they do and drinking bottles the rest of the time.

And like Bradr said, the beers that have set numbers you may only drink once, but they have rotating beers every few weeks (usually for the mini tours, but sometimes they just get new beer in) and you may drink the rotators as much as you want. I don't like that rule because some people probably just drink 110 of the same rotating beers and that negates the purpose of the WORLD beer tour.

carlfense    2,266

Not a big stout fan. A little too heavy, but wouldn't mind trying it. Any idea if you can order it out of state?

I don't think so . . . I think it was very small batch and only available in kegs.

Too Far North is actually the only place that I know of that serves it.

tschu    1,594

I'm currently drinking (of course I am) some Empyrean Dark Side Vanilla Porter. Definitely my favorite offering from this local brewery.

Chaco Canyon is also good, and their seasonal stuff is always worth a try.

tschu    1,594

If you're into stouts, you MUST try this:

RogueChocolateStout.jpg

It is like 7-8 bucks for a 650mL bottle, but if you're looking for a nice treat you will absolutely not be disappointed. Sweet, syrupy, dark with a nice thick mouthfeel (giggity). Chocolate makes up the base, but other coffee and very slight fruity notes there with some bitterness. I mean this stuff is absolutely top of the line, best you can get. So effing good. (of course if you don't like stouts and dark beers then don't waste your money)

tschu    1,594

Guinness foreign extra it's mother milk.

This too. You'll have to get it at HyVee or The Still, and its $10-$11 for a 4-pack, but it is good. Don't let "Guinness Draught" fool you...that sh#t was introduced in like 1975 and beer drinkers scoff at that watery stuff. Foreign Extra is the real Guinness, the stuff that the Irish drink. And it is fantastic.

carlfense    2,266

Has anyone tried that sweet angel from empyrean? hows that?

Fallen Angel? Yep! Good stuff if you like a less bitter stout. I was happy to see that they offered it in bottles this year. As far as I know it was tap only in previous years. Get some quick . . . it usually doesn't last long.

tschu    1,594

Has anyone tried that sweet angel from empyrean? hows that?

Fallen Angel? Yep! Good stuff if you like a less bitter stout. I was happy to see that they offered it in bottles this year. As far as I know it was tap only in previous years. Get some quick . . . it usually doesn't last long.

Thanks for the recommendation! Very good stuff.

BIGREDIOWAN    1,887

I'll have to try the Foreign Extra...............I've had Guiness a few times and wanted to puke, but everyone says the stuff in Ireland is amazing!

El Diaco    4,538

I see a lot of New Belgium products have already been listed but some of their must trys are; Fat Tire, Sunshine Wheat, and Abbey. The Abbey is an amazing Belgian style ale with unbelievable notes of banana esters derived from the yeast they use. If you like Hoegaarden, Abbey will more than satisfy you. If you have to have lots of hop character or bitterness, this one isn't for you.

Abbey is the beer that started New Belgian Brewing but Fat Tire is the one that took off for them. I like most all their brews except for their high dollar artsy fartsy iambics and stuff that tastes more like wine than beer.