Team USA - Sochi Hockey

Excel

Who else is excited? This is the only event I'll really care about even though I don't follow Hockey that closely.

Games will be played in Shayba Arena and the Bolshoy Ice Dome both in Sochi, both are new and built just for the games though Bolshoy is a lot nicer, more expensive and bigger...thus all Russia's games are there...the two venues are only 300m apart though.

Shayba Arena - 7,000 capacity - $27 million in construction

RTEmagicC_Shayba_Arena_December_2013_390.JPG.jpg

ice-arena-shaiba-50bdc966bb517_520x347.jpg

Bolshoy Ice Dome - 12,000 Capacity - $180 million in construction

the-bolshoy-ice-dome.jpg

182945560.jpg

Prelims start 13 February. Groups:

Group A

Russia

USA

Slovakia

Slovenia

Group B

Austria

Canada

Finland

Norway

Group C

Czech Republic

Latvia

Switzerland

Sweden

Our games in the prelim:

- Slovakia at 6:30 CST, Thursday 13 Feb. on NBC at Shayba Arena.

- Russia at 6:30 CST, Saturday 15 Feb. on NBC at Bolshoy Ice Dome.

- Slovenia at 6:30 CST, Sunday 16 Feb. on NBC at Shayba Arena.

Our Roster:

thpuZXh.png

Our Jerseys

nike_usa_jersey_2-up_large_large_medium.jpg

Bovda's odds as of a few days ago

Canada -- 2-1

Russia -- 9-4

Sweden -- 4-1

USA -- 6-1

Czech Republic -- 10-1

Finland -- 10-1

Switzerland -- 25-1

Slovakia -- 33-1

Norway -- 200-1

Latvia -- 400-1

Austria -- 1,000-1

Slovenia -- 1,000-1

Walks, I'm kind of depending on you for analysis and stuff since you know Hockey probably better than anyone here.

For those unfamiliar with the political geography of the area and why the Navy is parking warships outside Sochi:

vf5CPDm.png?1?5774

• Fire 1

NHL player participation in the Olympics beyond 2014 is in doubt for a host of logistical and financial reasons, and though it's highly unlikely, a worst-case scenario exists to jeopardize their presence in Sochi, Russia, this February, as well.

League deputy commissioner Bill Daly expressed full confidence in security steps taken in Russia for the upcoming Games during a recent interview with the Associated Press, but he allowed for the possibility that a major security breach could keep NHL players from traveling overseas at all.

"As of now, we do not doubt that all necessary steps are being taken by the Sochi Organizing Committee, the Russian government and the IOC to ensure the safety of the athletes and guests in Sochi," Daly wrote Monday in an email to the AP. "Obviously, if something significant were to transpire between now and February 9 that causes us to question that conclusion, we will re-evaluate. I don't expect that that will become necessary."

Full Article

NHL player participation in the Olympics beyond 2014 is in doubt for a host of logistical and financial reasons, and though it's highly unlikely, a worst-case scenario exists to jeopardize their presence in Sochi, Russia, this February, as well.

League deputy commissioner Bill Daly expressed full confidence in security steps taken in Russia for the upcoming Games during a recent interview with the Associated Press, but he allowed for the possibility that a major security breach could keep NHL players from traveling overseas at all.

As of now, we do not doubt that all necessary steps are being taken by the Sochi Organizing Committee, the Russian government and the IOC to ensure the safety of the athletes and guests in Sochi, Daly wrote Monday in an email to the AP. "Obviously, if something significant were to transpire between now and February 9 that causes us to question that conclusion, we will re-evaluate. I don't expect that that will become necessary.

Full Article

Officials can talk up security all they like but the situation is still concerning. The groups involved are more than capable of attacking effectively and spectacularly outside of the Caucasus so Sochi being in their backyard is that much more troubling. They also aren't particularly intimidated by anyone having gone toe-to-toe with the Russians in '94 and winning.

Just to refresh people on what they're capable of:

1995 Budyonnovsk hospital siege - ~140 dead (about 250 miles east of Sochi)

1999 Moscow Apartment Bombings - ~300 dead (Moscow is about 1,000 miles north of Sochi)

2002 Moscow Theater Siege - ~200 dead

2003 Grozny FSB Headquarters Bombings - ~60 dead - notable because the FSB is like a combination of our CIA and FBI with the national guard mixed in

2004 Moscow Subway Bombings - ~40 dead

2004 Beslan School Siege - ~400 dead (Beslan is about 200 miles east of Sochi)

2010 Moscow Subway Bombings - ~40 dead

2011 Moscow Airport Bombings - 37 dead

2013 Volgograd Bombings - 32 dead

So we see some general patterns: They like to go big, usually suicide bombings or hostage takings. They're not afraid of the best Russian security services have to offer and they'll attack just about anything that will get them attention...schools, theaters, public transit, even stadiums in the past. Lastly, they've had some success attacking places that should have tons of security just like Sochi will...the FSB Headquarters, the Moscow Airport, Volgograd's metro (after it was attacked just the month before).

Having the Winter Games so close must be a dream come true for them.

We all know how the two Boston Bombers have links to the region and extremists from the area seem to pop up everywhere. Afghanistan, Iraq and now one of the leading rebel/extremist-Islamic-oriented leaders in Syria is an ethnic Chechen: (story linked to picture)

BN-AM209_112013_G_20131120103216.jpg

....or take a look at a screenshot from a video made of the recent Volgograd bombers...these guys could blend in anywhere in Russia or the US...fair skin, one is clean shaven sporting an English language t-shirt, the other in Adidas sweatpants, aside from the AK's and jihadi flag it'd be hard to think anything was up with them. Interesting note but the flag behind them is of ISIS - the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, a group active in the Syrian Civil War and the same group that recently took control of Fallujah from the Iraqi Government.

k7bruV7.jpg

SIDEBAR: For those interested in vexillology, it's an interesting flag and is also used by the Somali Jihadi Group Al Shabab. The handwritten Arabic and irregular circle speak to the simple, grassroots kind of movement it represents, the text is the Shahada, an Islamic creed and reads "There is no god but God, Muhammad is the messenger of God" while the color, black, ever so popular among modern day jihadis is an allusion to the black flags of Khorasan from a hadith (saying of the prophet) about the endtimes. A time in which an army from Khorosan (modern day Iran, Pakistan and Afghanistan) would spread Islam, liberate Muslims and take Jerusalem all under black banners: "There will be many armies after me. You must join that army which will come from Khurasaan...If you see the Black Banners coming from Khurasan go to them immediately, even if you must crawl over ice, because indeed amongst them is the Caliph, Al Mahdi."

Anyhow...they're scurrier than Al Qaeda in some ways but I guess this is a whole different thread.

...and if this hasn't already been posted here:

black-widows.jpg

"Police in Sochi have launched an urgent search for a possible female suicide bomber who may have already made it past the ring of security set up for the Olympic Games.

The woman featured on the wanted posters is identified as Ruzanna Ibragimova, using the nickname Salima, the widow of a militant reportedly killed in a shoot-out with police last year in Dagestan.

She is described as being affiliated with the Caucasus Emirate, the terror group led by Doku Umarov that has threatened attacks against the Winter Games in Sochi"

LINK

The U.S. team might not have the "star power" of Canada, Russia, or Sweden, there's something that folks aren't factoring in.

We've got two of the best netminders in the world, on our team.

Quick & Miller. I'm not sure who's going to be starting, let alone, I'd hate to have to make that decision. Miller was the MVP of the 2010 Olympics, and that was on a silver medal team.

Also, if you want a little fire, watch the women's team, their "rivalry" with Canada should make for some interesting viewing...

Edited by walksalone
The U.S. team might not have the "star power" of Canada, Russia, or Sweden, there's something that folks aren't factoring in.

Quick & Miller. I'm not sure who's going to be starting, let alone, I'd hate to have to make that decision. Miller was the MVP of the 2010 Olympics, and that was on a silver medal team.

Also, if you want a little fire, watch the women's team, their "rivalry" with Canada should make for some interesting viewing...

So how do you think we'll do? and if you understand it can you explain the seeding from the prelims...the whole process because I don't get it.

So how do you think we'll do? and if you understand it can you explain the seeding from the prelims...the whole process because I don't get it.

It all depends on who our goalie is, and how well they play. If they play like ass, then I'll be surprised if we make it to the medal round. Conversely, if either one of them catches fire, then there's no reason why were in the Gold Medal game.

Personally I think we'll get the silver or the bronze. Our team isn't as "flashy" as the other favorites, but we've got "grit" in the form of Brown, Callahan, Oshie, Pacioretty, Stepan, & Wheeler.

Honestly, I'm not sure how the do the seeding from the prelims.

Only thing I really know about Olympic Hockey, is the rink is bigger, it's more of a finesse game, and there's more emphasis on teamwork than individual play...