Game of Thrones - Please no spoilers from ASOIAF

Darned good finale. They sure do like messing with us.

Spoiler

Just had to eff with us over Sansa and Arya before giving us what we wanted. I thought for sure they'd drag out the Littlefinger saga a bit longer. And then just when I think they're in kill off a few more mode, they had me believing Jamie was done for. At least they answered the how do they get south of the wall question. Damn....Better not let the Night King get his hands on another dragon.

I do need to add, that scene with Sam and Bran was maybe my favorite moment in the whole series. 

Sam- what did you do north of the wall?

Bran- I became the three eyed raven.

Sam- Oh...... *the look on his face was priceless*

Reminded me of this.

giphy.gif

• Plus1 2

Thanksgiving must be pretty awkward for George RR Martin's female family members.

Also, I need to watch the previous episode again. Sansa and Arya had a private conversation where Arya acted like she could/would kill Sansa. But we didn't get any hint that Littlefinger overheard. So was that real and behind the scenes they got it together?

Spoiler

Think we're learning a lot about the rules of the show, how it's going to operate going forward. And it hasn't been too inspiring. Case in point:

Another example: the tortured wind-up to the Baelish fake-out. That everything hinged on a not-too-stunning reveal (given that none of Arya and Sansa's behavior was making any sense) cheapened the payoff. How do you make Baelish's death unsatisfying?! I mean it was, but only to an extent.

Things that need to happen just happen now. Very easily. Gilly stumbles on a crucial fact but Sam ignores it...then it turns out he came back to it offscreen? Bran can see everything, but needs Sam to come to Winterfell to clue him in that R loved L and vice versa? etc.

This show is both "hurtling" and crawling towards its conclusion. But it's already got our rapt attention, so we are going to follow it however it goes. I'm a S8 optimist. But it seems like the way they laid it out, S7 was just one excruciatingly long wind-up. Well done, if the payoff is good. The rules of the show will have to change for that to be the case.

I think the high point of this exposition-filled episode was Cersei and Jaime's confrontation. I really thought the Mountain was going to get set loose on him. A friend of mine thinks that this was a strong hint that Cersei's pregnancy is fake. I like where they're going with that. The Queen seems somewhat in control, but there's a decent possibility that she's desperately treading water at this point. If this was a gambit to keep Jaime in line, it was working brilliantly...until he called her bluff.

25 minutes ago, zoogs said:
  Hide contents

Think we're learning a lot about the rules of the show, how it's going to operate going forward. And it hasn't been too inspiring. Case in point:

Another example: the tortured wind-up to the Baelish fake-out. That everything hinged on a not-too-stunning reveal (given that none of Arya and Sansa's behavior was making any sense) cheapened the payoff. How do you make Baelish's death unsatisfying?! I mean it was, but only to an extent.

I thought it was great. Not just "to an extent." I was very happy they figured it out without Jon coming back to save the day. And I had no problem with Sam's reveal either. They were both talking about this for the first time. It doesn't matter that he didn't namedrop Gilly

I think the way they did the Baelish scene in this episode was great. I loved his utter surprise, his last, sniveling attempts at worming his way out, and the way Sansa coldly turns his latest advice back on him as he falls to his knees and begs. 

The build up to it wasn't great at all, and that kind of dulls it for me. The Sansa/Arya arc was excruciating and uninteresting, and this doesn't make it all better; there were other ways to get to the same point. For example, Baelish gets some legitimate blows in. Or, the viewer knows Sansa/Arya are onto him and we join in as they watch him go to work, blissfully unaware that he's been made.

The Gilly thing...it's not so much the name-dropping. I thought they were really going somewhere with that crucial piece of information seemingly slipping through everyone's nets. It's the kind of thing that should spawn some pretty spicy new drama that then has to be resolved. Instead, it just turns out it was never a near miss to begin with. The things that look like juicy moments ... aren't, because they were really just reveals.

So I think this portends a show that, like this season, isn't very interested in spinning up and exploring new drama. There are still some, though -- namely, the Jaime/Cersei split. 

21 minutes ago, zoogs said:
  Hide contents

I think the way they did the Baelish scene in this episode was great. I loved his utter surprise, his last, sniveling attempts at worming his way out, and the way Sansa coldly turns his latest advice back on him as he falls to his knees and begs. 

The build up to it wasn't great at all, and that kind of dulls it for me. The Sansa/Arya arc was excruciating and uninteresting, and this doesn't make it all better; there were other ways to get to the same point. For example, Baelish gets some legitimate blows in. Or, the viewer knows Sansa/Arya are onto him and we join in as they watch him go to work, blissfully unaware that he's been made.

I get you there. Like I said in my previous post, we don't have him at the door listening to their private conversation. That seems weird to me now. They did a 180 but we saw none of it.

Kinda cool, though, right? Jon, probably the least power and conquest minded of anyone in Westeros and forever a "bastard", now has the same name as Aegon the Conqueror, the OG. That and he's the heir to the Iron Throne.

Also I can't get over this:

:lol: Okay. That was a killer scene. :D Go Bran!

10 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Not a fan of where they went with Jon's original name. Jaehaerys would have been a better way to go. 

Spoiler

I was kinda weirded out by that name choice as well, since Rhaegar's son that was killed by the Mountain was also named Aegon. Doing a little searching online, I guess Rhaegar was prophecy junkie and was convinced that a child of his named Aegon would be The Prince that was Promised. But he was already dead before the baby was born, so I'm not sure if he actually had much say in the name. Definitely a weird choice

• Plus1 1
Just now, GSG5545 said:

Hide contents

I was kinda weirded out by that name choice as well, since Rhaegar's son that was killed by the Mountain was also named Aegon. Doing a little searching online, I guess Rhaegar was prophecy junkie and was convinced that a child of his named Aegon would be The Prince that was Promised. But he was already dead before the baby was born, so I'm not sure if he actually had much say in the name. Definitely a weird choice

Spoiler

It could have been Lyanna just honoring Rhaegar's wishes; by the time Jon was born, both Rhaegar and his first Aegon were dead.