No more Husker players' numbers on fan jerseys

A whole new market niche in Husker nostalgia has opened up.

All those scarlet jerseys with Kenny Bell's No. 80 on them, or Brook Berringer's 18, or Rex Burkhead's 22 just became a lot more collectible.

The Nebraska athletic department is joining lots of other schools in limiting the numbers on the jerseys fans can buy. For this year, only No. 1 and No. 15 -- as in 2015 -- will be sold at the Huskers Authentic team store. Next year, it'll be 1 and 16.

http://journalstar.com/business/local/no-more-husker-players-numbers-on-fan-jerseys/article_5ce22256-039f-545f-875e-127904b2c763.html

Thank you Sam Keller and Ed O'Bannon...

• Fire 4

How can they narrow this down to a year? I mean how many players have worn 15, 8, 7, etc....

This is dumb.

With the minor changes to the jerseys, especially since the alternates have come around, you can tell. My black #80 is definitely Kenny Bell. My #3 with the "Big Red in the Big Ten" patch is definitely Taylor Martinez (or Daimion Stafford)

How can they narrow this down to a year? I mean how many players have worn 15, 8, 7, etc....

This is dumb.

With the minor changes to the jerseys, especially since the alternates have come around, you can tell. My black #80 is definitely Kenny Bell. My #3 with the "Big Red in the Big Ten" patch is definitely Taylor Martinez (or Daimion Stafford)

But see, even with how specific you got it....it's not singling out just ONE player

This is dumb.

But see, even with how specific you got it....it's not singling out just ONE player

The NCAA video games didn't specifically recreate individual players either. They just made a generic looking black character with the same measurables and number as Reggie Bush.

This sucks for fans but it's the right call.

This is dumb.

Why couldn't your #3 jersey have been Marcus Newby? Or Daimion Stafford?

This is dumb.

Why couldn't your #3 jersey have been Marcus Newby? Or Daimion Stafford?

I don't think, "Oh it wasn't that specific player, it was this specific player" is a good argument in court.

If there is a right vs wrong call....

Then the sale of jerseys need to stop. I feel like this in an in between move.

Because if we can't use the argument about specifics, then selling a #1 and a #15 can't be an ok situation either. It's either all numbers or none.

It makes zero sense.

Or just sell the number zero. Since no player wears that number, it can't be attributed to any player.

Because if we can't use the argument about specifics, then selling a #1 and a #15 can't be an ok situation either. It's either all numbers or none.

It makes zero sense.

As long as the university is publicly declaring and intending, "We're only making two jersey numbers, the number #1 for default, and the number of the year." then they're safe and that's not really trying to have it both ways, imo.

It makes zero sense.

As long as the university is publicly declaring and intending, "We're only making two jersey numbers, the number #1 for default, and the number of the year." then they're safe and that's not really trying to have it both ways, imo.

Fair enough. I got nothin.

It'd be nice if they could just give a part of the profits to the players after they are out of the program. This is probably against a rule though.

That's what EA wanted to do, pay the players once they're done with school. NCAA nixed that.