No more Husker players' numbers on fan jerseys

Something tells me jersey sales just took a big hit. I'm not really into wearing jerseys but I gotta believe the people who are won't be real excited about having the exact same number as every other fan. Knew the EA ruling would snowball. Should just make the student athletes relinquish their rights in exchange for that scholarship. Sign here on the line.........or don't play college ball. Pretty simple.

The sale of jerseys need to stop to anyone over 18 years old. A grown man wearing a jersey of someone half their age is ridiculous.

Well yeah, that's a given. But I'm sure there'll be a lot of disappointed younger fans. Heck I remember getting a jersey almost every year, from the age of 5 up to probably 13 or 14. I'm fully expecting to do the same for my kid, if and when that day comes. Unfortunately for him, he won't be able to choose from Crouch or Newcombe, instead he'll have to settle for a 1 or some random 30 number.

This is a stupid idea, but before I get to that, I don't see jerseys as being the same as the NCAA football games. The digital recreations were almost exact copies of real life people, save the face. Height, weight, abilities, skin color and jersey number were identical. Multiple factors associating themselves to one person. Just one of those factors, to me, is not an association with a player.

That said, I guess if people did see a black #80 jersey from the 2013 season, they'd immediately think Kenny Bell. I get it.

I digress - however, the reason this particular idea is stupid is because you're still selling jerseys that directly correlate to another player! When the year 2022 roles around, given this policy is still in place, those jerseys are going to sell like hot cakes. Hmm... wonder why? Everybody just loves the year 2022? Or everybody just loves 2's!?

No, it'll be because of Rex Burkhead. You could go around and ask every Husker fan on the street that year who they associate the #22 with and, unless another great player comes along and wears it, most people will say Rex Burkhead.

The idea that they're being "safe" by doing a default 1 and the year, and this somehow protects them, is ludicrous in my opinion. The jerseys still represent real people to some fans, and limiting when you actually sell that jersey does NOT change that association.

I think it protects them very well, actually.

If you feel that a school shouldn't be profiting from their student athletes, then the school should definitely not be making money selling ($50? $80?) jerseys matching their star players every year.

A #1 jersey? A year number? "Matches" would be merely coincidental.

Of course, the argument can be made that they should be going even further, but it's likely they won't have to. They are still free to profit under their own brand, which arguably promotes the student-athletes wearing it as much as the other way around (in general).

This is a stupid idea, but before I get to that, I don't see jerseys as being the same as the NCAA football games. The digital recreations were almost exact copies of real life people, save the face. Height, weight, abilities, skin color and jersey number were identical. Multiple factors associating themselves to one person. Just one of those factors, to me, is not an association with a player.

That said, I guess if people did see a black #80 jersey from the 2013 season, they'd immediately think Kenny Bell. I get it.

I digress - however, the reason this particular idea is stupid is because you're still selling jerseys that directly correlate to another player! When the year 2022 roles around, given this policy is still in place, those jerseys are going to sell like hot cakes. Hmm... wonder why? Everybody just loves the year 2022? Or everybody just loves 2's!?

No, it'll be because of Rex Burkhead. You could go around and ask every Husker fan on the street that year who they associate the #22 with and, unless another great player comes along and wears it, most people will say Rex Burkhead.

The idea that they're being "safe" by doing a default 1 and the year, and this somehow protects them, is ludicrous in my opinion. The jerseys still represent real people to some fans, and limiting when you actually sell that jersey does NOT change that association.

People are not going to be clamoring over Rex Burkhead jerseys in 2022, sorry.

People are not going to be clamoring over Rex Burkhead jerseys in 2022, sorry.

Ya I don't think so either. There are only a couple numbers that will always been seen a lot which are 18 and 15. Burkhead is well-liked but I don't think he's going to have that lasting presence like Frazier and Berringer. I don't even see Suh's # that much anymore.