Narcissistic Personality Disorder

As I recall, JJ, it's well-known that you aren't a Trump supporter, right?

I'm referring to bnillhome really trying to argue for the academic credibility of "research on Obama's narcissism." I mean, my goodness. If that's you, too, I suppose you'll just have to be a little mad at me? :D

Look, I think the 'Does Trump have NPD?' topic is a bit silly itself (I've only scanned this thread, to be fair). There are far more relevant and concerning dimensions to his rise than even his own shortcomings -- and armchair psychiatrist / fanciful demonizations of public figures is usually just a ridiculous exercise. We should be clear-eyed about the fact that Trump won't be the last, or the most effective of his kind, even if he fails this November.

I'm referring to bnillhome really trying to argue for the academic credibility of "research on Obama's narcissism." I mean, my goodness. If that's you, too, I suppose you'll just have to be a little mad at me? :D

Look, I think the 'Does Trump have NPD?' topic is a bit silly itself (I've only scanned this thread, to be fair). There are far more relevant and concerning dimensions to his rise than even his own shortcomings -- and armchair psychiatrist / fanciful demonizations of public figures is usually just a ridiculous exercise. We should be clear-eyed about the fact that Trump won't be the last, or the most effective of his kind, even if he fails this November.

I can't speak for bnill....as far as arguing for or against Obama's narcissism, I've merely stated that he is obviously narcissistic. That has been discussed and was apparent long before this thread was created. Being a Trump supporter or making the claim that Obama is narcissistic, are not mutually exclusive.

The tendency around here, when one doesn't jump on the crucify him bandwagon, is for people to imply that you are a supporter. I just wanted to make it clear that I feel both of them are extremely narcissistic and that I in no way support Trump. But you're right, this is sort of a dumb topic...

It's sort of along the lines of "all CEOs and football HCs/QBs are self-absorbed and cocky" thinking. I mean, to an extent I suppose you don't get that far without being extremely ambitious, driven, and focused. But to spin it around and say that they all probably share some very impugn-able traits is not entirely fair.

I mean, on the other hand Trump is a far outlier in a lot of ways in American politics, and that's the sort of thing we're all having a hard time figuring out how exactly to understand.

Well long before Trump entered the political scene, there has been a lot of discussion about Obama being a narcissist, so it's not a new topic despite what you seem to think. First, I don't love Trump and wish he would shut his mouth more times than not. Hillary Clinton is the most beatable Democratic nominee not facing an incumbent since 1968, yet the GOP was dumb enough to nominate Trump. With that said, Trump AND Obama can still meet the many criteria laid out with this disorder while ALSO having a different style or way of going about it.

• Fire 1

Oh. My.

Hell no it's not selfless. All presidents Executive order this and that to leave a legacy (whether good or bad), and whine and complain when they don't get their way. Thats the exact example of a selfish. Not selfless.

Selfless would be resigning from office when an approval rating drops below a certain point. How many have done that?

One of my favorite Presidents was Polk. He had 4 goals accomplished all of them in one term. Was very popular and would have easily won another term but stepped down.

Wikipedia

Polk initially hoped to be nominated for vice president

Polk set four clearly defined goals for his administration:

Pledged to serve only one term, he accomplished all these objectives in just four years.

Some Presidents are motivated by higher ideals. I just finished reading about Andrew Jackson (American Lion - very good book regardless of how you feel about Jackson as a president) and my next President to study is going to be Polk. Reagan similarly had a few main focus points - one to end communism and two turning the economy around. Reagan always gave credit to the American people and believed in their goodness and their ability to turn the country around. Can you imagine Trump responding to the Challenger disaster like Reagan did. Trump doesn't seem to have a soul as that Muslim Father of the soldier said. Presidents are called to comfort a grieving nation during difficult times - I have a hard time seeing either Trump or Hillary being capable of 'feeling our pain'.

Well long before Trump entered the political scene, there has been a lot of discussion about Obama being a narcissist, so it's not a new topic despite what you seem to think.

Yet all you can find to link is conservative rag Geocities looking web pages.

• Fire 1

Well long before Trump entered the political scene, there has been a lot of discussion about Obama being a narcissist, so it's not a new topic despite what you seem to think.

Yet all you can find to link is conservative rag Geocities looking web pages.

I'm sure you could find a sound bite from Sean Hannity if you wanted to...
  • 11 months later...