Sam's Monday Rewind - Oregon Edition

Red Five

I can respect that take, RedDenver.

Regardless, they had no business at #13 coming into that game.

Last season, they didn't play Michigan, Michigan State, or Ohio State. This year, they only have Michigan (at home) out of that stretch. They will very soon get completely passed by in this conference with the way that Meyer, Harbaugh, D'Antonio, and Riley have upped the B1G's ceiling.

Honestly, they were never really "there" to begin with, imo.

I mostly agree, but they did play (and barely lost to) Michigan St.

In all fairness, Michigan State lost to us last year, and they've shown a tendency to play up/down to their opponent's level the past few years.

Maybe NDSU could beat most of the Top 25. If they only had one game per season and it was the only game they prepared for from January thru August.

NDSU would win the Big XII outright this year, and easily be #2 in the B1G West, Pac-12 South, or SEC East.

They don't have a lot of depth, so attrition due to injuries would be a factor, but the Big XII is a steaming pile of excrement this year (so far). Maybe the Big XII needs to check out the Fargo media market for expansion...

North Dakota State is a good football team, but their FBS success has as much to do with fortuitous scheduling as anything.

- 2010 Kansas -
Record: 3-9
Score: 6-3
Sagarin: 119
Next Opponent: Georgia Tech

- 2011 Minnesota -
Score: 37-24
Sagarin: 88
Next Opponent: Michigan

- 2012 Colorado State -
Record: 4-8
Score: 22-7
Sagarin: 134
Next Opponent: San Jose St.

- 2013 Kansas State -
Record: 8-5
Score: 24-21
Sagarin: 23
Next Opponent: Louisiana (Not LSU)

- 2014 Iowa State -
Record: 2-10
Score: 34-14
Sagarin: 105
Next Opponent: Kansas State

- Combined record of NDSU's FBS victims -

Record: 20-41
Score: 123-69
Sagarin: 93.8 (Average)

In four of those five games, NDSU beat not just bad teams, but awful teams, ranked in the bottom 25% of FBS. Aside from 2013 Kansas State, their opponents were at least four games under .500 and had a much tougher opponent (on paper) to play immediately after the NDSU game.

Iowa's next opponent is Rutgers, so I'm not sure what their excuse is, other than NDSU is a good team and can beat you. The ol' "On Any Given Saturday" thing.

• Fire 1

North Dakota State is a good football team, but their FBS success has as much to do with fortuitous scheduling as anything.

- 2010 Kansas -

Score: 6-3

Sagarin: 119

Next Opponent: Georgia Tech

- 2011 Minnesota -

Score: 37-24

Sagarin: 88

Next Opponent: Michigan

- 2012 Colorado State -

Record: 4-8

Score: 22-7

Sagarin: 134

Next Opponent: San Jose St.

- 2013 Kansas State -

Record: 8-5

Score: 24-21

Sagarin: 23

Next Opponent: Louisiana (Not LSU)

- 2014 Iowa State -

Record: 2-10

Score: 34-14

Sagarin: 105

Next Opponent: Kansas State

- Combined record of NDSU's FBS victims -

Record: 20-41

Score: 123-69

Sagarin: 93.8 (Average)

In four of those five games, NDSU beat not just bad teams, but awful teams, ranked in the bottom 25% of FBS. Aside from 2013 Kansas State, their opponents were at least four games under .500 and had a much tougher opponent (on paper) to play immediately after the NDSU game.

Iowa's next opponent is Rutgers, so I'm not sure what their excuse is, other than NDSU is a good team and can beat you. The ol' "On Any Given Saturday" thing.

I completely agree. I live in North Dakota right now and it is tough to explain to Nodaks that they have just benefitted from playing bad FBS teams. A couple years ago, an individual said that they could compete with Alabama. It has been impressive what they have done in FCS, but a facing a Power 5 schedule would put them below .500

Maybe NDSU could beat most of the Top 25. If they only had one game per season and it was the only game they prepared for from January thru August.

NDSU would win the Big XII outright this year, and easily be #2 in the B1G West, Pac-12 South, or SEC East.

They don't have a lot of depth, so attrition due to injuries would be a factor, but the Big XII is a steaming pile of excrement this year (so far). Maybe the Big XII needs to check out the Fargo media market for expansion...

Dude, you are freaking crazy.

NDSU schedules really smart.

It is nice when you can get a big pay day and a win and not just the typical big pay day and being pounded into pulp like most of these Power 5 vs FCS games. I'm a bit jealous of their success in that I'm a SDSU grad (from many years back) and the conference championship often come down to our game wt NDSU (SDSU seemed to be the bridesmaid more times than not) . They have always been good and they are on a higher level now.