Softest program in college football

Geeboo07

All of this tradition, facilities, high tech super analytical weight room, blah, blah, blah. None of this matters when your program is soft. Old school needs to become the new school. Give me an old weight room with rusty metal, chalk, no air conditioning and I would forge some tuff strong mothers with old school strength that would eat lightening and crap thunder. That is what NU needs.

• Fire 3

Pretty much. This pac12 finesse sh#t where they think they are going to outathlete people is never going to happen. That has never been Nebraska's recipe for success and it never will be.

This says it all. I've got nothing to add.

There was a comment a few years ago about programs that were down and out and how they returned to prominence. The talking head said most did it by returning to what made them successful to start. Save NU.......... We are still floundering around trying to find our identity when Iowa and Wisky stole it and own us.......

We are soft. Physically and mentally. Like McBride said, speed and hitters.

All of this tradition, facilities, high tech super analytical weight room, blah, blah, blah. None of this matters when your program is soft. Old school needs to become the new school. Give me an old weight room with rusty metal, chalk, no air conditioning and I would forge some tuff strong mothers with old school strength that would eat lightening and crap thunder. That is what NU needs.

I was literally going to post a thread exactly about this! I just got home, watched the game at a bar.

Someone can talk about talent and signing 4 and 5 star player, can talk about coaching, game planning, etc and it doesn't make any difference.

Nebraska is soft.

Watching Nick Gates trying to Block Michael Bennett was hilarious, in an extremely sad way.

Soft. Weak. No fire. No heart. No attitude.

I am willing to give Mike Riley time, but I am also starting to think he's not the answer.

Coincidentally, the two softest things we had today were the OL and the defense. Something we used to pride ourselves on. Somehow we lost that along the way. We need that swagger back. More aggressiveness and pure passion and will is needed. Cav and Banker should be relieved.

Just look at the physiques of our lineman now compared to the 90's lineman. No contest. I started this thread because I am an old guy, 52, who powerlifted for a lot of years at the "hard core" gyms and I feel strength and conditioning has become way too complicated and over analyzed. True strength comes from the 3 basic lifts; bench, squat, and deadlifts. If done properly with the right percentages of the 1 rep max, a young athlete can become a force. Sure a flashy vertical leap or agility test is great and has it's place but, one on one, the stronger guy will win the battle in blocking and tackling when it comes down to it (of course it helps to have the fire burning in your heart too).

I think true strength training has been corrupted because it has now become big business and everyone has to have the latest new technology etc.

• Fire 3