DOJ Initial Russia Hearings

2 minutes ago, zoogs said:

Trump will do all of those things anyway. Why? Because he is an authoritarian who believes the Justice Dept and the FBI are instruments at his disposal, to be used at his pleasure and only at his pleasure. This is, needless to say, horrifying.

He will succeed in bringing them to heel if he tries. Are those people so different from Romney, Mitt? At the rate we are going, Paul Ryan and Congress is not going to step up to block Trump from doing so. 

I think he'll fire Mueller and Rosenstein and they won't do s#!t about it. Ryan will spout some bulls#!t about how Trump should step carefully going forward.

Edited by Moiraine

I posted before I saw yours and it's exactly what I wanted to say. He should have been impeached long, long, long ago.

Trump will fire FBI directors or intimate that he will fire FBI directors (or other high-ranking officials) until they get the hint: fall more in line and don't do things that will catch his ire. When everyone in power takes a pro-Trump but arguably still valid perspective, it adds up, and everyone individually gets to still think they're in the clear. 

The way to prevent autocrats from capturing our institutions is to not elect them in the first place. Even the GOP is an institution and it's been captured almost totally now. I hope Congress flips completely in 2018, and then that Trump is forced out of office in disgrace. 

I don't know. I think it's doable. In 2016 all I saw was how unfavorable the map was in the Senate, and as for the House, well, the gap was so large. But Democrats are running so well right now. Unfavorable is not impossible, and I feel like right now the target is actually to win. There's a sense that it is possible, and Trump is so bad that opposing him should be bipartisan enough. 

At the very least, I think we have to try. Make a major, major push. Want to deliver a statement? There is no better way than rising up, going to the ballots, and delivering a stunning defeat to Republicans in 2018. Further, there are serious consequences if we fail to do this, because we already know how Trump will behave, and how a Republican majority will behave under him. 

If we fail, let's at least get close and build momentum for 2020.

I think the Dems have a lot of territory to defend in  the Senate to take control.  If people vote their pocket books  they may go  hohum about Trump's issues.   Tax cuts, stock market still doing well in spite of correction - I don't see the Senate flipping although the margin for the repubs is small there.   I think 2020 will be the big flip year.  If Congress keeps being Trump's lap dog, I suspect most voters will get tired of the side show.  I expect Mueller to have moved on Trump by then and 2020 will be a big shake up.

• Plus1 2

If we aren't tired of it by now, in 2018, we will never be tired of it. If it's up to favorable maps and pre-existing partisan lines, we're in bad shape as a country. This is a time to rise up, cross lines, and vote to change the landscape of our government. That's what democracy is! That's what elections are for. 

• Plus1 1
17 hours ago, knapplc said:

"...provided the questions are limited and don't focus on specifics where Trump might perjure himself."

This is real life.

Do you wish we all could get such 'justice'.  How many of us 'common folks' have the right to limit questions so that we don't perjure ourselves because we are known liars??

• Plus1 2

Trump has yet to levy a single sanction to punish Russia for election interference, despite the fact that Congress almost unanimously passed legislation that took effect on January 29 requiring him to do so, and despite senior intelligence officials testifying that Russia is trying to disrupt the 2018 midterms.

Are they going to keep not giving a s#!t?

Edited by Moiraine