Where to get your news

Lately I get most of my news by following specific reporters on Twitter. People like Brad Jaffy, Zeke Miller, Jillian Jorgensen, Dan Eggen, Mark Murray, Maggie Haberman, Josh Dawsey, David Fahrenthold, etc.

I also follow a number of local papers around the country. You get lots of regional info that way, rather than always staying 30,000 feet over the surface with the major carriers like ABC/NBC/Fox, etc.

• Fire 3

Twitter seems like a remarkably effective way to curate your media consumption. :thumbs

I use Google Now / Google Newsstand mostly, which does a reasonable job of knowing what I read and what I'm interested in as well as throwing in a lot of random stuff.

Lately I get most of my news by following specific reporters on Twitter. People like Brad Jaffy, Zeke Miller, Jillian Jorgensen, Dan Eggen, Mark Murray, Maggie Haberman, Josh Dawsey, David Fahrenthold, etc.

I also follow a number of local papers around the country. You get lots of regional info that way, rather than always staying 30,000 feet over the surface with the major carriers like ABC/NBC/Fox, etc.

Knapp, with all of the twitter options, how did you narrow it down to those particular reporters? It is easy to get lost in the twitter world. I think it is a good idea to identify sources that are balanced, accurate & trustworthy and follow them - not exclusively but as a springboard. Good thoughts on the local papers - easier to cut through the garbage that way and they tend to report info that comes down to the street level. Policy has consequences at that level.

• Fire 1

It's not so much "narrowing it down" as it is if I see someone over and over, I follow them. I either follow all of their newspapers or I've seen other newspapers/reporters retweet them.

That is not a comprehensive list, either. It's just who I saw at a quick glance. I wish Twitter made it easier to see a list of who you follow/who follows you. Current system is kludgy.

• Fire 1

It's not so much "narrowing it down" as it is if I see someone over and over, I follow them. I either follow all of their newspapers or I've seen other newspapers/reporters retweet them.

That is not a comprehensive list, either. It's just who I saw at a quick glance. I wish Twitter made it easier to see a list of who you follow/who follows you. Current system is kludgy.

thanks

It's interesting the things you find out about newspapers around the country. For example, I follow the Houston Chronicle and the Miami Herald. They're both basically peddling smut to get me to click their links, each with a high percentage of skin in the photos they tweet. The Chronicle is really bad about this, including this most recent tweet:

Houston is a city of over 2 million people. Surely there are more important things going on than Ashley Graham's bum. But this is what they focus on.

The people/papers I follow is constantly evolving. I'll be changing away from the Chronicle as soon as I find someone/something else from the area that offers better content.

It's an ever-evolving thing. Need to stay current and informed.

The other three of their latest five tweets: surveillance cam footage of a Greenspoint (city in Texas?) gas station robbery, Ashley Graham, and '70% chance of rain on Wed with a high of 88.'

I'm curious: what do you actually get of value from following these local papers? It sounds like a good idea. But a cursory look at this page makes it seem like the local stuff is mainly irrelevant, and the 'big' stories are tabloid grade and superficial. OTOH, local papers do do good national reporting too -- but then you can seek out their coverage of a story when it happens.

I've liked reading The Hill more and more to get news on Congress

http://thehill.com/

Zoogs or any Moderator- As moderator can you create a new thread with these last several posts - starting wt Knapp's post above about twitter sources and the discussion that follows. Maybe add that one post with the graph that showed the spectrum of left/right, reliable/unreliable sources as the lead post. And then pin it to stay on top of the political forum. This could be a resource thread for all of us. As we find new sites we like we can add to it.

Lately I get most of my news by following specific reporters on Twitter. People like Brad Jaffy, Zeke Miller, Jillian Jorgensen, Dan Eggen, Mark Murray, Maggie Haberman, Josh Dawsey, David Fahrenthold, etc.I also follow a number of local papers around the country. You get lots of regional info that way, rather than always staying 30,000 feet over the surface with the major carriers like ABC/NBC/Fox, etc.

I think this is the new way to do it.

I mainly use flipboard, and google current events. Flipboard is pretty good because it usually pulls up a variety of sources when it comes to politics. Fox news, Rueters, Politico, BBC, LA Times, New York Times, Washington Post, Time magazine...

I'll keep this pinned for now, but it may be advantageous for knapplc (since he's unfortunate enough to be the top post :D) to dish out some sort of list or running tally of what's discussed in here. Otherwise, I think it's harder to justify keeping it pinned.

knapplc, if you don't want to do this, let me know and then I'll probably unpin this.