Scott Frost

Whistlepig

12 minutes ago, California Husker said:

I don't know if Scott Frost would be a good coach at Nebraska. I would like to think he would be; I always liked him as a player and his enthusiasm for the program....at least after he came back from Stanford.

I also don't know what he thinks about the Nebraska coaching job and I would never suggest that I do until he comments on it. However, I met Scott a few years back at a high school football game here in So Cal. He was the receivers coach at the time (I think) for Oregon, before he was promoted to OC. He was standing on the side of the field watching the kid he was recruiting play and I came down to stairs at the end of the stadium and recognized him right away. Then he saw my Huskers sweat shirt and said: "Nice shirt". So I stopped and introduced myself and we stood there for a good 10 minutes and talked about Nebraska football. He was wearing some sort of Oregon shirt, because of course that's who he was working for, but all he wanted to talk about was Husker football. 

I will admit, my shirt was a dead giveaway that I was interested in Husker football, and a person might say that he was just being polite, but he never even mentioned his current job, never mentioned Oregon other than to say he was there recruiting (I don't even think he said the name Oregon). He just seemed legitimately content to discuss Husker football. 

The only reason I bring this chance meeting up is to say that based on my experience talking to him, I do think he'd be interested in the head coaching job at Nebraska. 

I'm not connected, but I know several that are.  Word was he was very interested in gig when Riley got it.  They said there were some feelers out for OC (nothing serious), but no head coach.

I didn't want him as HC at the time, but now he seems like the only option.

• Plus1 3

16 minutes ago, California Husker said:

I don't know if Scott Frost would be a good coach at Nebraska. I would like to think he would be; I always liked him as a player and his enthusiasm for the program....at least after he came back from Stanford.

I also don't know what he thinks about the Nebraska coaching job and I would never suggest that I do until he comments on it. However, I met Scott a few years back at a high school football game here in So Cal. He was the receivers coach at the time (I think) for Oregon, before he was promoted to OC. He was standing on the side of the field watching the kid he was recruiting play and I came down to stairs at the end of the stadium and recognized him right away. Then he saw my Huskers sweat shirt and said: "Nice shirt". So I stopped and introduced myself and we stood there for a good 10 minutes and talked about Nebraska football. He was wearing some sort of Oregon shirt, because of course that's who he was working for, but all he wanted to talk about was Husker football. 

I will admit, my shirt was a dead giveaway that I was interested in Husker football, and a person might say that he was just being polite, but he never even mentioned his current job, never mentioned Oregon other than to say he was there recruiting (I don't even think he said the name Oregon). He just seemed legitimately content to discuss Husker football. 

The only reason I bring this chance meeting up is to say that based on my experience talking to him, I do think he'd be interested in the head coaching job at Nebraska. 

Makes sense, he is from Nebraska, played for Nebraska, played for an all time great coach at Nebraska, won a national title at Nebraska, assuming he was a fan of Nebraska since he grew up there. All signs point to this would be his dream job and all signs point to of course he is the right fit at Nebraska.

Like I've said in other posts. Whether or not Frost works out and wins games at Nebraska. Win or lose, we at least know he's a Nebraska guy, and he's young enough in his career that there would at least be hope he would learn and turn things around.

I know it's out there since I read it online (legitimate source), but he use to show Marcus Mariota Nebraska videos while at Oregon.

1 minute ago, BoneyardHusker said:

Makes sense, he is from Nebraska, played for Nebraska, played for an all time great coach at Nebraska, won a national title at Nebraska, assuming he was a fan of Nebraska since he grew up there. All signs point to this would be his dream job and all signs point to of course he is the right fit at Nebraska.

Like I've said in other posts. Whether or not Frost works out and wins games at Nebraska. Win or lose, we at least know he's a Nebraska guy, and he's young enough in his career that there would at least be hope he would learn and turn things around.

I know it's out there since I read it online (legitimate source), but he use to show Marcus Mariota Nebraska videos while at Oregon.

Based on my brief conversation with him, this doesn't surprise me a bit. 

In my heart of hearts I feel like we missed our chance at Frost but what do I know.  If it were announced that Frost somehow, someway was going to be our next HC from where we've been I'd be happy.  We have nothing to lose at this point and obv he's got the Nebraska roots in a major way.  

We lost our culture regardless of who our head coach has been.  That right there has been our biggest problem imo.  Recruit some FB players regardless of where they're from.  I'd like to think Scott could do that and relate to them well enough to get them to play for him too.

I think Nebraska needs to look to someone to truly can 'restore some order'.  At least to some degree.  If I'm an AD (someone with some actual sense) I'm looking at him.  Again it couldn't be any worse than what we've been through head coaching wise.

1 minute ago, suh_fan93 said:

In my heart of hearts I feel like we missed our chance at Frost but what do I know.  If it were announced that Frost somehow, someway was going to be our next HC from where we've been I'd be happy.  We have nothing to lose at this point and obv he's got the Nebraska roots in a major way.  

We lost our culture regardless of who our head coach has been.  That right there has been our biggest problem imo.  Recruit some FB players regardless of where they're from.  I'd like to think Scott could do that and relate to them well enough to get them to play for him too.

I think Nebraska needs to look to someone to truly can 'restore some order'.  At least to some degree.  

I thought Frost should have gotten the job when we hired Riley. Thought what a terrible idea to bring in a guy in his mid 60's to try and do one last hurrah before retirement. Thought whether he succeeds or fails, 4 years after his hiring he will be 68 and looking at retirement, so regardless of success or failure we are looking to rebuild in 4 years. So I thought why not gamble on Frost and let him learn at Nebraska, and if he failed, at least there was a chance he was young enough to turn things around and also being a Nebraska guy we'd all sort of understand.

• Plus1 1

I thought Frost should have gotten the job when we hired Riley. Thought what a terrible idea to bring in a guy in his mid 60's to try and do one last hurrah before retirement. Thought whether he succeeds or fails, 4 years after his hiring he will be 68 and looking at retirement, so regardless of success or failure we are looking to rebuild in 4 years. So I thought why not gamble on Frost and let him learn at Nebraska, and if he failed, at least there was a chance he was young enough to turn things around and also being a Nebraska guy we'd all sort of understand.

Agreed.  You have to strike while the iron is hot.  The Riley hire obv was a major, major wiff.  Sean Eichorst tho.  Enough said.

These Frost stories are interesting.  They are like the small early makings of what could be legend.  I think why so many people like Frost is that deep down they know he is with us, right there in the foxhole, win or lose, dying after giving it our all or winning glorious battles.  Look at our coaches.  Cally...aloof NFL X's and O's guy.  Pelini...f you fans.  Riley...nice guy, but aww shucks has no idea how to win or fight.  I don't know if Frost is going to be great coach or not.  But he strikes me as a guy who bleeds Husker Red and we could all go to battle with proudly for several years.  He just has something no other candidate could ever have.  And the stories about how he still talks Huskers while working and recruiting for Oregon is making me smile.  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, suh_fan93 said:

We lost our culture regardless of who our head coach has been.  That right there has been our biggest problem imo.  Recruit some FB players regardless of where they're from.  I'd like to think Scott could do that and relate to them well enough to get them to play for him too..

I have to admit, out here in So Cal I don't know a lot about what's going on there in Nebraska other than at the university. I saw someone post it earlier, just wondering what the general attitude is about Trev Alberts as a replacement for Sean Eichorst? He's a Nebraska guy through and through. If he's a good athletic director, then he should be courted to come to Lincoln. As someone above said, that might be the clincher to bring Frost in. I know they never played together, but they have both propped the program and have similar youth (or at least youthful exuberance). 

3 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Agreed.  You have to strike while the iron is hot.  The Riley hire obv was a major, major wiff.  Sean Eichorst tho.  Enough said.

It may all end up working out though. IF he does come to Nebraska, he will have 2 years of HC experience and a little Florida recruiting background. That's better then coming straight from OC at Oregon.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, California Husker said:

I have to admit, out here in So Cal I don't know a lot about what's going on there in Nebraska other than at the university. I saw someone post it earlier, just wondering what the general attitude is about Trev Alberts as a replacement for Sean Eichorst? He's a Nebraska guy through and through. If he's a good athletic director, then he should be courted to come to Lincoln. As someone above said, that might be the clincher to bring Frost in. I know they never played together, but they have both propped the program and have similar youth (or at least youthful exuberance). 

I'm not sure about the general consensus regarding Trev Alberts as a possible AD.  Great post nonetheless.

It may all end up working out though. IF he does come to Nebraska, he will have 2 years of HC experience and a little Florida recruiting background. That's better then coming straight from OC at Oregon.

Definitely agree.

3 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

I don't think the situation with SF is as concrete as you present it. We have no hard evidence (that I'm aware of) suggesting this would be his dream job or that he is even interested in taking the position here.

The position would also come with an extreme amount of unique pressure. He could end up having the opportunity to go to almost any university if his stock keeps trending upward but, if he chose Nebraska, he would have lofty expectations placed on his shoulders from the beginning. Failure would tarnish a relatively positive legacy. No other university would have that same kind of anxiety attached to it. Maybe he doesn't care or maybe he does. Either way, I don't think that's an easy decision for him to make.

Regardless of it all, I don't think there's any chance Frost comes to Nebraska so long as SE is running the show. MR is his guy and I think a large portion of SE's job security is tied into MR's success. If both of them left, I think you'd also have to bank on the incoming AD being open and cognizant of Frost as a candidate. That might be easier said than done.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't think the situation with SF is as concrete as you present it. We have no hard evidence (that I'm aware of) suggesting this would be his dream job or that he is even interested in taking the position here.

The position would also come with an extreme amount of unique pressure. He could end up having the opportunity to go to almost any university if his stock keeps trending upward but, if he chose Nebraska, he would have lofty expectations placed on his shoulders from the beginning. Failure would tarnish a relatively positive legacy. No other university would have that same kind of anxiety attached to it. Maybe he doesn't care or maybe he does. Either way, I don't think that's an easy decision for him to make.

Regardless of it all, I don't think there's any chance Frost comes to Nebraska so long as SE is running the show. MR is his guy and I think a large portion of SE's job security is tied into MR's success. If both of them left, I think you'd also have to bank on the incoming AD being open and cognizant of Frost as a candidate. That might be easier said than done.

I guess I along with everyone else assume Nebraska is Frost's dream job given who he is. And I would agree with the SE comment. But I also think SE gets fired and soon after Riley is gone.