Oklahoma Fans Also Lament Missing Nebraska Series

14 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

ecf8eb6ec29dd0f2da472a6f219fa769.jpg

Wait...you were getting a fun buzz off of pining for gains gone by and a rivalry that doesn't exist anymore?

Interesting.

I would rather get a fun buzz off of thinking about playing Wisconsin, OSU, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Iowa...etc. with our new toys that Frost has brought us.

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wait...you were getting a fun buzz off of pining for gains gone by and a rivalry that doesn't exist anymore?

Interesting.

I would rather get a fun buzz off of thinking about playing Wisconsin, OSU, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Iowa...etc. with our new toys that Frost has brought us.

Well, we can walk and chew gum at the same time as so many around here like to point out. Considering where this program has been the last 10-20 years, yeah, I miss some of the good ole rivalries. But it would be nice to have at least one current rivalry. I think Frost will get us there.

• Plus1 1

If the Big Ten were to ever go two 8 team divisions, OU would probably be at the top of the board for expansion. A West Division with Wisconsin, Oklahoma and a capable Nebraska would rival what the East is doing with Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan. 

Maybe some OU fans are hoping DONU throws a rope over the wall to help escape the Texas league? I haven’t heard of any recent conference realignment tremors but maybe they are looking to the future. I can’t think of a B1G school that would be a bigger ally to OU if they would want in.

18 hours ago, knapplc said:

Oh, look. Barry Trammel wants attention from Nebraska fan again. 

He writes the first column to chum the water, a bit of entertainment for Husker fans. Then he gets two dozen reader responses (look how popular we still are with Husker Nation!) and curates them for his Sooner audience.  A bit of nostalgia for old Sooner fans, a bit of dirt-throwing for newer fans, more views from Husker fans.

He does this at least every other year, if not more often.  I don't think any other Big 8/Big XII writer from back in the day writes about Nebraska as much as Trammel. 

Right, but there's also been a secondary objective with these pieces, many of which are commissioned indirectly by the OU AD Leadership--stoking the fires of a potential conference move in the next few years. 

There's still no GOR renewal for the Big XII, after all. Better to remind fans about your old buddy Nebraska, who may not be doing as well as they had in the past, but at least they've got firm footing underneath them and a TV deal showing all of their games. 

6 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Right, but there's also been a secondary objective with these pieces, many of which are commissioned indirectly by the OU AD Leadership--stoking the fires of a potential conference move in the next few years. 

There's still no GOR renewal for the Big XII, after all. Better to remind fans about your old buddy Nebraska, who may not be doing as well as they had in the past, but at least they've got firm footing underneath them and a TV deal showing all of their games. 

Not to mention how much the university itself has changed/improved since joining the B1G

1 hour ago, Swiv3D said:

Not to mention how much the university itself has changed/improved since joining the B1G

Agreed. And Barry actually covered that in an article either last year or the year before, and why it would behoove Oklahoma to join the B1G over any other conference (read: the SEC). Sure, football and baseball may prosper in the SEC, but at the expense of Olympic sports and any sort of academic growth as a University.

4 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

Maybe some OU fans are hoping DONU throws a rope over the wall to help escape the Texas league? I haven’t heard of any recent conference realignment tremors but maybe they are looking to the future. I can’t think of a B1G school that would be a bigger ally to OU if they would want in.

Back in 2011 trammel wrote his article on how the Longhorn network may be the eventual downfall of the Big 12 and visa versa

Actually I thought the Big 12 would have fallen apart by now and OU would be in our West division.  Maybe just a matter of time.

https://newsok.com/article/3601755/longhorn-network-might-be-dissolved-along-with-the-big-12-conference#ixzz1XUIgz7SH

If I had my way...

1.  I would love to see Oklahoma join the Big 10.

2.  The Pac-12 say to Texass, "No way, and GTFO!"

3.  For conferences to realign once more with Texass not receiving an invite to any conference.  Punishment for: A) them bringing to ruin two different conferences, and B) being greedy, back-stabbing, conniving, corrupt a-holes. 

• Plus1 1