Oregon & Washington to the B1G - Clemson & Florida State Next?

Seems like the pod system - despite seemingly making a lot of sense - isn't going to catch on anywhere.

But it would work out well for a 20-team conference.  Play your pod (five teams, four games) every year and one of the other pods each year (five games).  I would have the winner of those pairings play in the CCG but that probably wouldn't happen either.

With Clemson & Florida State:

Eastern - Penn State, Florida State, Clemson, Maryland, Rutgers

Central - Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Indiana

Northern - Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern

Western - Nebraska, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

19 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Seems like the pod system - despite seemingly making a lot of sense - isn't going to catch on anywhere.

But it would work out well for a 20-team conference.  Play your pod (five teams, four games) every year and one of the other pods each year (five games).  I would have the winner of those pairings play in the CCG but that probably wouldn't happen either.

Who knows? Maybe it does play out that way in the future. But I think the current concern is it feels less like a conference when segmenting programs. With an increase to 10 or maybe 11 game conference schedule, a program can see all its conference mates a couple of times over a 4 year window. 

2 minutes ago, hskrpwr13 said:

Who knows? Maybe it does play out that way in the future. But I think the current concern is it feels less like a conference when segmenting programs. With an increase to 10 or maybe 11 game conference schedule, a program can see all its conference mates a couple of times over a 4 year window. 

I don't think it would ever to go 11 conference games (unless there are more total games) because teams still need the home-game revenue.  I doubt it would go to 10 either (for the same reason) but it's possible.

7 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't think it would ever to go 11 conference games (unless there are more total games) because teams still need the home-game revenue.  I doubt it would go to 10 either (for the same reason) but it's possible.

With 10 or 11, teams would still get at least 6 home games, and many years 7. Gate receipts should start to take a back seat to all the t.v. money. And no real incentive to schedule home-home series with tough out of conference opponents. 

34 minutes ago, Mavric said:

The geography makes some sense, but the Northern POD would be the new B1G West.  Of course Iowa would get the easy draw again. SMH

26 minutes ago, nic said:

followed by getting beat by the BiG12 for the last real piece of leftover pie.

I do agree with this.

26 minutes ago, nic said:

Equal distribution

I don't agree with his take here, and I'll give you a few examples.

In international soccer, Spain's league worked like this where Barcelona and Real Madrid got a much bigger piece of the pie. The problem is when they tried to sell their international television rights they didn't get a lot because the only two teams anyone internationally cared about was those two, so that was at most two games a week anyone cared about. Meanwhile, by far the richest league in the world is the English league because they have many more teams of interest.

That was the case when Nebraska joined the Big10. One of the reasons you want a brand like that is it makes a bunch of games more interesting. Now Nebraska-Purdue is more interesting, Nebraska-Indiana is more interesting, etc. That's why adding big national brands helps a conference because it effectively multiples the number of games that have a chance of having higher ratings.

When USC and UCLA leave it creates this situation they're in because you hadn't really built up any other programs of interest to make someone like Cal or Wash St  interesting. Of the remaining schools, almost all of the higher rated games involved Oregon because that was the only real brand left in the conference.

He does make a very good point about the PAC Network distribution and why it going alone was a terrible idea. It's very common for deals for these sports networks to happen right before the season starts because angry fans calling into a cable provider provide a lot of leverage. Well, if the PAC Network was part of ESPN or FOX then when their carriage fees are negotiated, they come along for the ride as part of the family of networks. As he points out, by going alone they had no such leverage and therefore no distribution avenue.

For the conference I think this is great.  What I think of next instantly is so now how long until Nebraska football wins a Big 10 title?

No one knows but things just got a whole lot tougher conference wise with Oregon, USC, Washington and UCLA coming in '24 that I know for sure.

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1
54 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

For the conference I think this is great.  What I think of next instantly is so now how long until Nebraska football wins a Big 10 title?

No one knows but things just got a whole lot tougher conference wise with Oregon, USC, Washington and UCLA coming in '24 that I know for sure.

maybe never. doesn't mean they wont be one of the 12 that make the playoff.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2
1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

I instantly thought this as well. While this is great for the conference, it just got that much harder for Nebraska to win the Big 10 or even make it to the CCG.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1