I've been doing this for the past few years and have gradually worked up my time to where I'll end my shower with standing under the coldest water I can stand for a minute. I know it isn't quite the same as a cold plunge and I suppose I could fill up my bathtub with cold water if I really wanted but I'm too lazy. I do notice that I feel a bit sharper when I get out of the shower after running cold water. It definitely makes you wake up.

• Plus1 1

I was obviously way ahead of the curve.  All through high school - which has been a minute now - I'd always take a cold shower after practice.  I still take a .... cooler shower if I've been working out (not often) or out in the heat (mainly after golf).

But I've seen the cold shower thing is now a .... thing.  I haven't really tried it on a regular basis but I'm somewhat curious.  Wondering if it's a real thing or a placebo thing.

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I was obviously way ahead of the curve.  All through high school - which has been a minute now - I'd always take a cold shower after practice.  I still take a .... cooler shower if I've been working out (not often) or out in the heat (mainly after golf).

But I've seen the cold shower thing is now a .... thing.  I haven't really tried it on a regular basis but I'm somewhat curious.  Wondering if it's a real thing or a placebo thing.

Seems like 30 seconds is about the time needed to get the positive effects.  

I don't know if I really notice a difference, yet, but, I will keep with it.

24 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

The YouTube video says it's the fastest way to lose weight so it must be true.

Yeah, lose weight, get more blood cells, help your brain, repair your organs...the (fake) list goes on and on.

I really just wanted to see if I would even like it and I sort of do.  

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Our cold water can be under 40 degrees that time of year.

Totally unrelated but I worked at a camp in Montana when I was in college.  Mountain stream ran right past it that was .... chilly.  

One of the other guys there said something to the effect of "this water is probably about 40 degrees."

One of the girls said "I bet it's only 30".

• Haha 2

They sell these little pop-up tubs for cold therapy. I used to love an ice bath after football practice in August but apparently you're not supposed to do that immediately after exercise because it can constrict the blood vessels trying to recover your muscles. Idk. Seems like there's always new info about cold showers/tubs and it's different every time. I don't take that hot of showers anyway :dunno

3 minutes ago, GSG said:

They sell these little pop-up tubs for cold therapy. I used to love an ice bath after football practice in August but apparently you're not supposed to do that immediately after exercise because it can constrict the blood vessels trying to recover your muscles. Idk. Seems like there's always new info about cold showers/tubs and it's different every time. I don't take that hot of showers anyway :dunno

I have a friend who was a really good cross country coach.  He got two big plastic tubs for the runners to soak in after workouts with ice water.  He swore by it.  Yes, it constricts the blood, then when you get out, knew blood blows back in helping the recovery. At least that's the theory.  Similar to switching back and forth with ice and heat with some injuries.

He did figure out that he needed to designate a girls and boys tub.  The guys were enjoying it a little too much.

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have a friend who was a really good cross country coach.  He got two big plastic tubs for the runners to soak in after workouts with ice water.  He swore by it.  Yes, it constricts the blood, then when you get out, knew blood blows back in helping the recovery. At least that's the theory.  Similar to switching back and forth with ice and heat with some injuries.

He did figure out that he needed to designate a girls and boys tub.  The guys were enjoying it a little too much.

Sorry I didn't finish my whole thought lol.

I've been seeing stuff that doing the cold tubs immediately after exercise is causing arthritis. Maybe it's just for older people since we all know the body doesn't recover as well lol

• 3 months later...