Triaging the QB room

Scarlet

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Here’s an example of a play where a better QB very well could have made the difference.  It’s also one showing that we do have a receiver getting open deep.  Thompson very well could have thrown this just like he did to Trey.  

Rhule referenced this play on his press conference 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

Rhule referenced this play on his press conference 

I appreciated that Rhule pointed out the intended target Fidone was open - it's easy to point to the wide open guy, but sometimes that route might be intended to just clear out the safety and be the last look in the progression. The biggest issue with this one wasn't even missing Kemp, it was picking an open guy and just making a terrible throw.

A more experienced QB would hopefully see the safety coming down and at least check the vertical routes, but sounded like Fidone's route is the "man-beater" on that play so not a bad read. You'd expect the safety to stay over the top when it's man, but it's been a long time since we've had a QB who can see what's actually happening and not just what they think the defense is doing. Which is admittedly harder than it sounds, but not impossible.

38 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I appreciated that Rhule pointed out the intended target Fidone was open - it's easy to point to the wide open guy, but sometimes that route might be intended to just clear out the safety and be the last look in the progression. The biggest issue with this one wasn't even missing Kemp, it was picking an open guy and just making a terrible throw.

A more experienced QB would hopefully see the safety coming down and at least check the vertical routes, but sounded like Fidone's route is the "man-beater" on that play so not a bad read. You'd expect the safety to stay over the top when it's man, but it's been a long time since we've had a QB who can see what's actually happening and not just what they think the defense is doing. Which is admittedly harder than it sounds, but not impossible.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty obvious that Fidone was the intended target with the pass and it was just a horrible pass.  However, I have been educated lately that, typically, the first QB read is the deep route....then work down do shorter routes.  The deep route is open.  It's 1st and 10, so it's not like they are thinking....just need to get the first down.

No matter what, both Fidone and the deep guy were open.  A good experienced QB should have been able to hit either one.

27 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yeah, I thought it was pretty obvious that Fidone was the intended target with the pass and it was just a horrible pass.  However, I have been educated lately that, typically, the first QB read is the deep route....then work down do shorter routes.  The deep route is open.  It's 1st and 10, so it's not like they are thinking....just need to get the first down.

No matter what, both Fidone and the deep guy were open.  A good experienced QB should have been able to hit either one.

Haarberg didn’t have the patience to see if the safety was squatting on the TE route over the middle, which allowed Kemp to break open behind him from the slot.

Defenses now know what Haarberg tendencies and errors are. They know that he targets Fidone more than any other receiver, and when he throws a bad pass, it sails high.  The safety was standing there, following the TE route over the middle. He wasn’t worried about getting beat deep, and he was waiting for the bad throw.

Satterfield is calling that play for a house call. NU had stolen a possession from the fake punt, and gotten into Maryland territory.  NU needs to score on chunk plays and Satt was going for one. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Fidone didn’t have the patience to see if the safety was squatting on the TE route over the middle, which allowed Kemp to break open behind him from the slot.

Defenses now know what Haarberg tendencies and errors are. They know that he targets Fidone more than any other receiver, and when he throws a bad pass, it sails high.  The safety was standing there, following the TE route over the middle. He wasn’t worried about getting beat deep, and he was waiting for the bad throw. 

Did you mean to say Haarberg didn't have the patience?

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

I believe what I was referencing was Rhule pointing out the QB missed a wide open touchdown opportunity on that play.   Maybe I misinterpreted his comments 

• Plus1 1
32 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:
57 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Haarberg didn’t have the patience to see if the safety was squatting on the TE route over the middle, which allowed Kemp to break open behind him from the slot.

He didn’t need any patience at all though.   The formation and route combined with the defensive formation tells HH pre-snap that if the safety doesn’t take back steps at an angle towards the interior receiver, then the ball goes deep over the middle.   That read happens immediately as HH should be looking directly at the safety during the initial drop back.  

That safety squatted and came forward before HH got two steps into his drop.   A good HS QB makes this read pretty easily.  

• TBH 1
9 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I believe what I was referencing was Rhule pointing out the QB missed a wide open touchdown opportunity on that play.   Maybe I misinterpreted his comments 

No you're right - he definitely said we should have had Kemp for a TD. He just also pointed out that the receiver Haarberg chose was open too, and all he had to do was make a decent throw.

From one of the press conferences, he's being taught that if they get a man look on that play Fidone is the first read. Seems like Haarberg is at the stage where he can read man/zone and pick the correct route or route combination, but the additional reads like whether that safety actually stays over top in the middle are still beyond him. But I do think there's an aspect here where the coaches are trying to simplify the reads (man = Fidone, zone = read the safety) too much. A QB should be able to account for where the safety goes after the initial man/zone read, but the impression I got from the comments was he is not being asked to do that. If it's because they've tried in practice and he can't do it, that's on him. If it's because Satt just doesn't think he could do it so doesn't teach it, that's on Satt.

3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

He didn’t need any patience at all though.   The formation and route combined with the defensive formation tells HH pre-snap that if the safety doesn’t take back steps at an angle towards the interior receiver, then the ball goes deep over the middle.   That read happens immediately as HH should be looking directly at the safety during the initial drop back.  

That safety squatted and came forward before HH got two steps into his drop.   A good HS QB makes this read pretty easily.  

So, is this an example of HH not knowing what to read?

Rewatching the clip, the safety actually does kind of take a little step back...but never turns to run.  Also, at one point, Fidone and the DB are right in line with the safety, and then the safety breaks to the side with them.  He's actually never in a position to make any play.....unless the ball is over thrown...which it is.