What did we learn Michigan Game

I guess the thing that confuses is me is why everyone defaults to giving the program the benefit of the doubt on everything, including NIL.  I clearly am the outcast in not just simply trusting what is occurring, based on so many years of ineptitude.  

I never have said this is guarantee of success, I simply know not having enough talent does guarantee not having success however.

I also am not arguing against viable information people have shown me, as @Mavric loves to say.  I have not seen solid information, as as it was posted above in Callahan saying it doesn't exist or isn't public, so it doesn't make sense I am arguing against information that isn't available.  This is all conjecture, on both sides, yet people seem to love arguing against any negative thought on this, and want to just assume all is well.  That is strange to me that you just blindly trust things are happening when we have been a dumpster fire overall for the better part of a decade now, including NIL's entire existence. 

• TBH 2

10 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I guess the thing that confuses is me is why everyone defaults to giving the program the benefit of the doubt on everything, including NIL.  I clearly am the outcast in not just simply trusting what is occurring, based on so many years of ineptitude.  

As you said at the end of your post, there isn't a lot of info either way.

But on one hand you have some info from people relatively in the know, at least compared to all of us, that suggests we are competitive and have good advantages in the NIL space. On the other hand, you have absolutely zero info that we're not. So I don't know if it's benefit of the doubt as much as it's not much of an opinion either way but a loose belief in the narrative that actually has some evidence, compared to a belief that is based on nothing at all.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3
3 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

As you said at the end of your post, there isn't a lot of info either way.

But on one hand you have some info from people relatively in the know, at least compared to all of us, that suggests we are competitive and have good advantages in the NIL space. On the other hand, you have absolutely zero info that we're not. So I don't know if it's benefit of the doubt as much as it's not much of an opinion either way but a loose belief in the narrative that actually has some evidence, compared to a belief that is based on nothing at all.

Fair enough.  Mostly I have PTSD that this program can do anything productive and functional.  I mean, isn't Matt Davison still running, or is a large part of since it was his name on the email I got after donating, one of the largest NIL programs we have and he was part of the worst regime in Nebraska football history. 

12 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I never have said this is guarantee of success, I simply know not having enough talent does guarantee not having success however.

I also am not arguing against viable information people have shown me, as @Mavric loves to say.  I have not seen solid information, as as it was posted above in Callahan saying it doesn't exist or isn't public, so it doesn't make sense I am arguing against information that isn't available.  This is all conjecture, on both sides, yet people seem to love arguing against any negative thought on this, and want to just assume all is well.  That is strange to me that you just blindly trust things are happening when we have been a dumpster fire overall for the better part of a decade now, including NIL's entire existence. 

I get it.  You can't see any of the results with your own eyes.  And I don't think we are a top 10 team in NIL $s.  Probably somewhere in the top 20 though.  But I think our operation is ahead of a lot of other places.  And there are things I would do differently (like the university publicly announcing a NIL funding drive and trying to get 50k people to sign up for $10/month which would be $6M/year).

Trust me, I don't want to give the Peed's (who are running the NIL operation and donating all the business stuff that goes along with it) or Davison any credit for this.

But I do trust Rhule.  He is an adult in the room.  And everything that 1890 is doing on the football side goes through him.

Let me ask you a question.  What is your concern?  Is it that we aren't paying enough?  (Wouldn't that be a function of us not getting enough donations?  Or do you think the Peeds/Davison are skimming dollars off the top?)  Or that we are paying the wrong players? (And that would be a Rhule/staff problem.)

23 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I get it.  You can't see any of the results with your own eyes.  And I don't think we are a top 10 team in NIL $s.  Probably somewhere in the top 20 though.  But I think our operation is ahead of a lot of other places.  And there are things I would do differently (like the university publicly announcing a NIL funding drive and trying to get 50k people to sign up for $10/month which would be $6M/year).

Trust me, I don't want to give the Peed's (who are running the NIL operation and donating all the business stuff that goes along with it) or Davison any credit for this.

But I do trust Rhule.  He is an adult in the room.  And everything that 1890 is doing on the football side goes through him.

Let me ask you a question.  What is your concern?  Is it that we aren't paying enough?  (Wouldn't that be a function of us not getting enough donations?  Or do you think the Peeds/Davison are skimming dollars off the top?)  Or that we are paying the wrong players? (And that would be a Rhule/staff problem.)

The bolded sums it up, a combination of those two things to some extent.  We were good for decades because we had an advantage over everyone else, to make up for our geographical location disadvantages.  This feels like our chance to gain that advantage back, which means we must do MORE than everyone else to theoretically gain an advantage.  It won't be good enough to simply be in the middle of the pack here unless we are just cool with being in the middle of the pack overall.  Maybe we are and this is just my last ditch wishful thinking before I accept reality that what's gone is gone.  Yes, I understand we must develop, and it doesn't guarantee anything, but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

I also do not trust the Peeds/Davison as far as I can throw them. 

• TBH 1

36 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I also do not trust the Peeds/Davison as far as I can throw them. 

I don’t think you are alone. 1620 the zone had a segment on NIL contributing yesterday, and they brought up the question if people trust Davison to run the main NIL fund for NU. They didn’t have solid evidence, but Josh Peterson did say he was going to reach out to people he trusts to get their point of view on the Peeds & Davison. 

• Plus1 4

This conversation is part of why I think it's important to remember that NIL is just one piece to a very complex puzzle that includes talent identification, the overall recruitment sales pitch, player development, and gameday execution.

One of the narratives around NIL has become this direct suggestion and/or indirect insinuation that 'because the product on the field isn't great, there must be something lacking in NIL.' The abundance of anecdotal evidence available to us suggest raw resources are in a good place, so we can't just negate all the other factors that go into whether or not a recruit will make an impact that meets expectations.

And that's really just part of the recruiting business these days. Back in the day, you'd sell tradition, getting players to the NFL, the fan base, perhaps the student-athlete amenities, the facilities, etc. Now you have to sell all that PLUS get them an Audi and a paycheck. And even then, just like with normal recruiting, it doesn't necessarily mean anything. The dude could still be a bust.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 2

18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

For 85 players, that's 5.1 million.  Wow.....I just can't understand how programs have donors that will support that every year.

I think there's about a 0% chance that these are actually purchased and transferred ownership - probably just a lease as long as you're on scholarship, to then be sold as a 'demo' vehicle after.

So overall probably not much expense involved but a hell of a value nonetheless.

• TBH 2
2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

6 month lease. Dealer can sell afterwards. Also they are covering insurance.

I immediately thought about the dealer being able to sell these vehicles, and jacking up the price cuz it’s all UTED OUT.  It’s also probably a wrap on the vehicle and can easily be taken off before selling.

• TBH 1
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I immediately thought about the dealer being able to sell these vehicles, and jacking up the price cuz it’s all UTED OUT.  It’s also probably a wrap on the vehicle and can easily be taken off before selling.

Dealer can also be like, "Cam Rising drove this baby to the stadium the day we won the Pac-12 Championship"

• TBH 3
34 minutes ago, Red Five said:

6 month lease. Dealer can sell afterwards. Also they are covering insurance.

A 6 month lease, while cool, is not a 6 million dollar value.  Even at $1500/month that is ~800k for 85 trucks fir 6 month leases.  The dealer gets the truck back to sell. This is one of the big issues with NIL here, just throwing numbers around.

• Fire 1