Thoughts on Friday Night Games?

On 10/7/2023 at 7:10 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

How much did the owners of Vala’s Pumpkin Patch bribe the Big Ten so Nebraska could have 2 straight Saturday’s in October with no game?

I ended up at Roca Berry this last Saturday with the fam. I can probably feel safe here saying I would have definitely rather been on my couch watching football. The kiddos had fun though

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Ha...well done!

I do think there is like this odd idea that everyone is out watching HS games on a Friday.  For the most part I don't think I know one person that goes to a high school game on a Friday night anymore.  

If you live in a small town I can imagine a lot of people going, even if they don't have kids on the team.

You're right.  But, let's say this was a home game and one that we would usually have a lot of recruits in town for....but...hey....they decide to play it on Friday nights so we can't have ANY recruits in town.

11 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Ha...well done!

I do think there is like this odd idea that everyone is out watching HS games on a Friday.  For the most part I don't think I know one person that goes to a high school game on a Friday night anymore.  

If you live in a small town I can imagine a lot of people going, even if they don't have kids on the team.

Small towns yes.  My small town I grew up in SD had 1000 people - so what else was there to do?   In Tulsa there are some huge rivalries - games in some large HS stadiums 

Jenks vs Union would bring out $30-35k when they were both winning the State Championship for 20 years or so in a row (Jenks won 13 and Union 8 I believe).  Now Bixby is dominating Class 6A  - I think they are 58-1 over the last many years - having Jenks breaking their win streak in the last game of the season.  Bixby ended up getting the revenge in the State Championship game a few weeks later.   But outside of that - too much to do in Tulsa.  But small town Oklahoma is all about Friday night football.  

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

You're right.  But, let's say this was a home game and one that we would usually have a lot of recruits in town for....but...hey....they decide to play it on Friday nights so we can't have ANY recruits in town.

Yeah, that would be an issue and so are 11am games for the same reason usually, unless the kid is local.  

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I definitely think that is a concern.

But I believe the Athletic Department has made a very good case to the B1G that we will do whatever we can to avoid hosting a Friday night game.  I think a lot of it has to do with the logistics of getting people here from across the state and having enough parking to facilitate a game-day crowd while classes are going on (at least, those would be the reasons that I would give).  

So I don't know that it's out of the realm of possibilities that we'll have to host a Friday night game.  But we seem to be in a good spot of being able to play those games on the road to fulfill our part of the bargain.

• TBH 1
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I definitely think that is a concern.

But I believe the Athletic Department has made a very good case to the B1G that we will do whatever we can to avoid hosting a Friday night game.  I think a lot of it has to do with the logistics of getting people here from across the state and having enough parking to facilitate a game-day crowd while classes are going on (at least, those would be the reasons that I would give).  

So I don't know that it's out of the realm of possibilities that we'll have to host a Friday night game.  But we seem to be in a good spot of being able to play those games on the road to fulfill our part of the bargain.

I wonder if teams that host Friday night games (or any weekday games) just cancel classes that day?  Especially if the class starts at 1pm?

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I wonder if teams that host Friday night games (or any weekday games) just cancel classes that day?  Especially if the class starts at 1pm?

I'm sure that's a possibility.  But other schools might not have as many logistical issues if they're trying to get 30,000-ish people in and out instead of 80,000.  I don't know that Michigan, Ohio State or Penn State have hosted Friday nights either.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Many recruits in cities also play on Thursday nights.   Those would be the ones that would end up coming. 

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Madcows said:

It is, but I go to support her and her passion. When she's on her all-star team, it's more enjoyable. Going to watch her cheer at HS games is rough. She does it for the HS clout, she doesn't really enjoy it either.

I had a friend and his daughter did cheer and like competitive cheer?  So they would drive like 4 hours to some competition, be there for 7 hours, his daughter and her team would be on for like 15 minutes, and then they would go home.

Dude hated it but never missed, total saint. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, teachercd said:

I had a friend and his daughter did cheer and like competitive cheer?  So they would drive like 4 hours to some competition, be there for 7 hours, his daughter and her team would be on for like 15 minutes, and then they would go home.

Dude hated it but never missed, total saint. 

Competitive cheer is the all-star cheer. We live in Omaha, we go to 4 of these 6 every year (depends on which weekends they are and how many of the gyms teams can go) Denver, Dallas, Chicago, Milwaukee, Kansas City and Des Moines and qualify annually for Nationals at ESPN Studios in Orlando. Our family "vacations" are the 4-5 weekends we are out of town for competitions. And his description is about right, 7-8 hours in the arena, listening to that same dub-step type music and teams compete for 2 1/2 minutes. It can be some long days, but worth it as she absolutely loves it and she's good at it. This is her last year, so I'm soaking it all in before she's out on her own. She's gotten a handful of scholarship offers to head out of state to continue doing all-star cheer at the collegiate level, she's not sure if she wants to do that or to focus on what will be the next chapter of her life and get physically healthy. I'm fairly sure she'll stay in Omaha for college.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Madcows said:

Competitive cheer is the all-star cheer. We live in Omaha, we go to 4 of these 6 every year (depends on which weekends they are and how many of the gyms teams can go) Denver, Dallas, Chicago, Milwaukee, Kansas City and Des Moines and qualify annually for Nationals at ESPN Studios in Orlando. Our family "vacations" are the 4-5 weekends we are out of town for competitions. And his description is about right, 7-8 hours in the arena, listening to that same dub-step type music and teams compete for 2 1/2 minutes. It can be some long days, but worth it as she absolutely loves it and she's good at it. This is her last year, so I'm soaking it all in before she's out on her own. She's gotten a handful of scholarship offers to head out of state to continue doing all-star cheer at the collegiate level, she's not sure if she wants to do that or to focus on what will be the next chapter of her life and get physically healthy. I'm fairly sure she'll stay in Omaha for college.

Cherish every moment because once it's over....it's over.  The next stage is pretty nice too.

• Plus1 2

Yeah, I think every parent finds the "move out" stage to be pretty nice :)

Then just do the trial separation stage and enjoy the rest of your life without ever having to go to the farmers market, do some lame a$$ landscaping job or be forced to a horrible couples dinner ever again.  :)

I kid, I kid.  

• Haha 3