2023 - 2024 Portal - Ins and Outs

56 minutes ago, jsneb83 said:

Worst case, he plays on special teams.

Yeah, I would guess he'll see the field on at least a couple Special Teams this year.

I would think LB would be better than RB, and I could see him in the rotation there in a couple of years.

49 minutes ago, Decked said:

Really no risk here either way. 

:yeah

• TBH 1

Fong says were "expected" to make a push for Dylan Edwards.  Kansas State, Kansas and Texas A&M said to also be after him.

I still think he ends up somewhere else - probably Kansas State - but I like that we're at least trying.

• TBH 1
21 hours ago, Decked said:

Depending on how you want to disperse it amongst your scholarship guys. Right now we don’t have a ton of extremely valuable guys. The elite level players where you are spending big bucks on. Other than DR & maybe Banks. Keep in mind the roster is 100+. 85 scholarships. We have supposedly a pot of 10 million. The more elite players you have the more you’ll pay. 

and please keep in mind it’s housing, food, clothes, books/tuition. And cars for guys too. It gets expensive fast. 

I get what you're saying, but my point is that regardless of whether the official NCAA count has a guy on scholarship or not, we can still add scholarship guys to the roster using NIL money. It makes the distinction between scholarship and walk-on far less meaningful to the point where I'm not sure we as fans can make any meaningful distinction since we don't knowing what those players total compensation is.

4 hours ago, Decked said:

He may never see the field as is 

He may never. But what is intriguing is his athleticism.  Most walk-ons are good HS players. But, they don’t have the elite athleticism that good scholarship players have. 

That isn’t case here. I could see him either never getting the size needed or the mental side of the game and not doing much. Or, I can see a staff like ours taking him in and he becomes a contributor in a couple years. 

Either way, I’m glad we have him to see how it plays out.  

• TBH 1
23 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

He may never. But what is intriguing is his athleticism.  Most walk-ons are good HS players. But, they don’t have the elite athleticism that good scholarship players have. 

That isn’t case here. I could see him either never getting the size needed or the mental side of the game and not doing much. Or, I can see a staff like ours taking him in and he becomes a contributor in a couple years. 

Either way, I’m glad we have him to see how it plays out.  

The Jeff Simms debacle aside, I have appreciated Rhule & Co.’s eye for talent. I trust them. Low risk, maybe a good reward on this one. Time will tell. Either way, it brings a Nebraska boy back home. I like all the attention on in-state talent and think it will pay off on and off the field for the program. 

• TBH 1
3 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

You are telling me with his numbers he's not a better fit at safety than Hartzog?

24 games played, 18 starts, 62 total tackles -OR- track numbers.

You better contact the coaches before they make a grave mistake.

• TBH 2

14 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Move him to safety.  You are telling me with his numbers he's not a better fit at safety than Hartzog?

I think he's more of a straight-line guy which makes it tough to play DB. He'll lose some speed as he puts on LB weight, but he doesn't really need to run a 10.5 there to be fast.

28 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I think he's more of a straight-line guy which makes it tough to play DB. He'll lose some speed as he puts on LB weight, but he doesn't really need to run a 10.5 there to be fast.

I haven't watched him play.  just my thought that if he's that athletic maybe don't try to have him be an undersized LB but a normal sized S/SS.  I also think we have enough guys waiting at both those position he will just end up a depth piece.  He only had one tackle at Montana so I wouldn't even say he's a special teams guy