What did we learn? Purdue edition

Red Five

11 hours ago, Red Five said:

Also, I know we have HS coaches on here.

How do you choose your game balls?  Are certain brands harder to hold onto?

I know we used to have our QB pick out 3 or 4 as game balls.  I remember he had smallish hands, so he would like them a little underinflated so he could grip them better.

Odd story...when I was a senior we played the same team to begin and end the season.  We got new game balls that year...different brand...tacky as hell, crazy grippy. 

Game 1 shows up, humid as hell...everyone drenched, uniforms, skin, u all know that feeling.  All of a sudden those ultra tacky balls get slicker than snot on a doorknob.  We fumbled 8 times that game.  5 qb/c exchanges.

We told our coach it was the ball.  He listened...we switched balls for the rest of the season and hardly put it on the turf...not that it matters, other than to sum up the story...but we avenged the opening season loss with a 40 point win on the road in our rematch at seasons end. 

This game ball thing might have legs...but I have to imagine there have been so many guys through this program the past decade...surely if it were a concern it would have been dealt with?  

Anyways...gbr

8 hours ago, Cobra Kai said:

Odd story...when I was a senior we played the same team to begin and end the season.  We got new game balls that year...different brand...tacky as hell, crazy grippy. 

Game 1 shows up, humid as hell...everyone drenched, uniforms, skin, u all know that feeling.  All of a sudden those ultra tacky balls get slicker than snot on a doorknob.  We fumbled 8 times that game.  5 qb/c exchanges.

We told our coach it was the ball.  He listened...we switched balls for the rest of the season and hardly put it on the turf...not that it matters, other than to sum up the story...but we avenged the opening season loss with a 40 point win on the road in our rematch at seasons end. 

This game ball thing might have legs...but I have to imagine there have been so many guys through this program the past decade...surely if it were a concern it would have been dealt with?  

Anyways...gbr

To the bolded, we would all like to assume this happens.  We are also all human (maybe a bot or two), and we have all dealt with other humans, especially in groups.  Humans can be quite stupid, and therefore do stupid things, whether cognizant or innocent.  Sometimes things need to be pointed out for our brains to grasp things ;).

This staff seems much smarter than the last, so I am sure if it hasn't come up already it will, but to simply assume that it has may be wrong.  

Everyone start tweeting it out, so someone picks it up at the U. :lol:

Also, why do we not have a football emoji???

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

I love his quick feet and he seems to hit his reads really fast and with purpose. Looks like he's often getting the most of what's there and/or available, too.

Watching those replays, a lot of yards are being left on the field due to blocking (specifically, lack there of), especially from blockers pulling and missing assignments or just from some of the blocks not being effective enough for long enough to turn some of those 2-3 yard plays into bigger chunk plays.

• TBH 2
6 hours ago, Mavric said:

The hit he delivers at about the 40 second mark is pretty solid against a much larger guy. That dude had momentum going with the hit, but Johnson still launched him.

He also takes bigger hits than he needs to, like on the first run. He needs to get down in that situation. 

3 hours ago, Enhance said:

I love his quick feet and he seems to hit his reads really fast and with purpose. Looks like he's often getting the most of what's there and/or available, too.

Watching those replays, a lot of yards are being left on the field due to blocking (specifically, lack there of), especially from blockers pulling and missing assignments or just from some of the blocks not being effective enough for long enough to turn some of those 2-3 yard plays into bigger chunk plays.

I think when the stars align we have those big plays (like Fleeks against Michigan) but they too often don't, and like you said, there's a missed assignment and the play is stifled. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1