MLB 2024

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Dodgers got Ohtani and Yamamoto and spent $1B to do it.

As a Mets fan I hate it. I don’t care if that’s hypocritical. This offseason has been terrible for competitive balance of baseball even if it’s hunky dory from a CBA perspective.

Dodgers might as well go hog wild now. Guarantee they button this stuff up when they implement a new CBA.

Funny to me how they implemented new tax thresholds when the Mets finally decide to spend big bucks but all anyone can say now is how good the Dodgers moves are for baseball.

• TBH 1
  • 1 month later...

The large money contracts are what has driven me away from Professional sports as a whole. The only positive in the MLB vs the NBA and especially the NFL is the huge difference in total number of felonies committed by MLB players vs the other two sports. Regardless, when will enough be enough?

Link

The Truth About the Stats

But overall, the arena of professional sports is less violent than the ordinary world. The crimes of a few have tarnished public perception of the NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB, that they foster cultures of bad behavior and violence. Professional sports crimes make headlines. A relatively few bad apples can make a whole team or league look bad.
NFL players, for example, are more law-abiding than their counterparts outside the league. Statistically, the NFL crime rate is lower than the national average and since 2006, NFL crime statistics have shown a steady decline.
Here is a breakdown of professional sports arrests in the last three years for violent or drug-related crimes:

• The NHL has the best-behaved players by a wide margin.
  • Baseball players have the second-lowest arrest rate and few incidents of violent crime. MLB arrests are usually for DUI.
  • The smallest league of the four major American sports is the NBA. But basketball players have the highest arrest record of the four, with domestic abuse topping the list of offenses.
  • According to the FBI, the NFL arrest rate is 1 in 45. The national average for non-players is 1 in 23.
  • Hockey and baseball players have very few arrests for domestic violence; the NHL and MLB sometimes go for years without a single arrest for domestic issues.
  • The NFL and NBA have the widest variety of charges—domestic abuse; assault and battery; DUI; reckless driving or behavior; and drug-related crimes.

Even if athletes are statistically less violent than the general public, troubled league officials and players’ unions are analyzing the crime problem. Experts have theorized that some players’ violent tendencies were bred into them by the sport; for years, they’re trained to be tough and rewarded for aggression. Many come into the leagues having never been taught that character outranks winning. A recent spike in professional athlete arrests for domestic violence prompted the NFL to launch an ad campaign condemning it.

5 hours ago, Loebarth said:

The large money contracts are what has driven me away from Professional sports as a whole. The only positive in the MLB vs the NBA and especially the NFL is the huge difference in total number of felonies committed by MLB players vs the other two sports. Regardless, when will enough be enough?

Link

You might be losing college football soon because of this. I mean when the starting QB for Georgia can buy a Lambo, they are getting crazy contracts now as well.

• TBH 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2024 at 7:45 AM, Loebarth said:

Link

Did you miss the part where it says athletes are statistically less violent than the general public? 

Boycotting professions according to their felony rates and domestic abuse cases could really limit a person.