Fire Satterfield

Decked

6 minutes ago, Undone said:

The question I asked myself and others when this would happen though is, how many times does Satterfield have to see it to say to himself "you know, maybe we should just take the 3 yards on 1st down and go from there."

If things like this happen again next year and we're losing games 14-13, it's going to be a new level of suck.

But we did rush on first down. More often than we passed. Occasionally the pass worked. Sometimes the run got stuffed. The same things that worked for a couple series didn't work on the third series. It's hard to say this offense needed to get safer and more conservative. 

I do know what you're talking about, though. My NFL team is the 49ers, and Shanahan operates an incredibly complex playbook, but he likes nothing better than getting that three or four yards on first down. With Christian McCaffrey. Running behind perennial All Pro Trent Williams. Even then he'll call a first down pass a couple times a game, which tends to soften up that first down defense.

We just need to do everything better.

Here's a fun rabbit hole if you have a few hours to kill: go back and read HuskerBoard from the Pelini years. We had two offensive coordinators named Shawn Watson and Tim Beck, and virtually every exasperated criticism you find here about Marcus Satterfield is identical to the criticism of Beck and Watson from those years we yearn to get back to. 

• TBH 1

26 minutes ago, Undone said:

The question I asked myself and others when this would happen though is, how many times does Satterfield have to see it to say to himself "you know, maybe we should just take the 3 yards on 1st down and go from there."

If things like this happen again next year and we're losing games 14-13, it's going to be a new level of suck.

The one for me is the routes the receivers run.  You can't tell me there is nothing that can be done to get our athletes wide open.  (Picks, Crossing, Screens....etc).

• TBH 1
3 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

The one for me is the routes the receivers run.  You can't tell me there is nothing that can be done to get our athletes wide open.  (Picks, Crossing, Screens....etc).

Please, no more screens.  If I have to witness another screen where bullock gets lit up on his block and its a 3 yard loss i might not be able to take it.  Or at least get rid of the wr screen- seems like every other progrum has figured out how to sprinkle that in, EXCEPT us for years now

2 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Please, no more screens.  If I have to witness another screen where bullock gets lit up on his block and its a 3 yard loss i might not be able to take it.  Or at least get rid of the wr screen- seems like every other progrum has figured out how to sprinkle that in, EXCEPT us for years now

There's more than one way to do a screen.  That one hasn't worked for sure.

17 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

There's more than one way to do a screen.  That one hasn't worked for sure.

It seems like every team in college and pros operate a screen-heavy offense these days. They're not going away. 

They are either quick screens to catch the defense off guard, or slow developing screens that get the linemen to overcommit before the late drop off pass.

Nebraska does something in between that lets the defense sit there and wait for it. 

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

You'd think we could get creative and cook up a screen for bonner given his skillset.  

I do not have actual evidence to back this up, but I feel like most teams have gone away from screens under Center. It's hard to just let the DL by and attack second level guys when your QB has a one yard head start rather than five from the shotgun. And seems like Bonner was either out wide when we had 21 personnel and went empty, or in a regular FB position with the QB under Center. 

Not saying it can't or shouldn't be done, but feels like it would need to be from a pistol set or with Bonner as more of an H-Back. Even just incorporating him into the regular passing game, we're usually going for a deep shot if we're passing with a FB in the game. I do think the Offensive staff had to revert to what can we execute given who is able to play, instead of being able to really maximize skillsets - hopefully that changes this next year. 

42 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

So, you want to totally scratch from the playbook a basic play that many teams have good success running.

• TBH 1

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's different than never wanting to see one again.

At this moment, yah I never want to see one again. It was a disaster this year, we don’t have big bodied receivers to consistently block in the open, so y did we continue to call it late in season in critical situations?

we sucked a$$ executing it under frosty as well with 2AMs errant throws to the flats and relatively smaller receivers. 

just because it’s a basic play design that teams use for consistent success, doesn’t it mean it’s a for sure thing as evidenced here across 2 coaches 

On 11/29/2023 at 2:40 PM, gossamorharpy said:

At this moment, yah I never want to see one again. It was a disaster this year, we don’t have big bodied receivers to consistently block in the open, so y did we continue to call it late in season in critical situations?

we sucked a$$ executing it under frosty as well with 2AMs errant throws to the flats and relatively smaller receivers. 

just because it’s a basic play design that teams use for consistent success, doesn’t it mean it’s a for sure thing as evidenced here across 2 coaches 

I'm glad you're not an OC...

Screens aren't just ran as a stand alone play, and more often then not that outside WR screen is an RPO. It's a constraint type play to help keep the defense honest, like almost every screen play is designed to be.

Not sure if you caught it, but later in games we take the same concept fake the screen and have one of the WRs run a go route.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2