What did we learn? Wiscy Edition

Hammerhead

Just now, Red Five said:

I wish I hated something as much as @Mavric hates special teams coaches.

I don't really hate special teams coaches.  I don't particularly care for people claiming that we don't care about special teams because we don't have a dedicated coach or we would be so much better if we just had a dedicated coach or coaches are stupid for not doing something specific.

There isn't a magic bullet.  If there was, everyone would do that.  

• Plus1 3

36 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I mean from a time-management standpoint, which is most of what I talked in my post.  Obviously we still scored, so that was good.  But we had a chance to win and basically passed.

I'm just saying from a time-management standpoint, that includes the ability to run a final drive that gets you in position to at least kick the game-tying field goal, while taking a couple legitimate (and safe) shots at the end zone, ideally without leaving time on the clock for Wisconsin to respond. Our chance to win was Purdy connecting in the corner of the end zone, or getting most or all of it himself in a scramble, and the Husker's tried both. We definitely could have used another :04 to run one more play, but I watch games like this all seasons -- NFL and college -- and coaches (with much better quarterbacks) making similar decisions. 

• TBH 1
2 hours ago, Scofrosghost said:

This game showed me that in the end it isn’t qb play that has been hampering us. Obviously Sims and HH have not helped the situation but Purdy played a clean game with really pretty good stats and we still lost, like terribly. Go up 14 then lay an egg the rest of the game?? Like come on man!

100 percent in play calling, clock management, special teams (anyone else blocks that punt and our guy totally holds up and bails??) and of course crappy Oline play. 

unfortunately a portal qb is not going to save this abortion of a program

I’m not sure how you can say that in the bold when we lost against Maryland because our QBs had 5 turnovers.

we lost to Michigan st because our qb was overthrowing and throwing pics all day

we lost to minny largely due to 3 ints from our qb, one of which took 3 points off the board and the last one setup minny for game winning fg

who knows what would’ve happened against Colorado but surely our qb getting the yips and dropping the snap multiple times and throwing a horrendous pick at our 30 did not do the team a favor.

it’s not just qb play, injuries certainly have impacted us, as have embarrassingly poor special teams and general year 1 transition issues. But if you look at any one position group, qb, by far shoulders more blame than any other group 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 3

15 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Our chance to win was Purdy connecting in the corner of the end zone, or getting most or all of it himself in a scramble, and the Husker's tried both.

I was basically where you were at, and then I watched that last drive a couple times after the game. Then I changed my mind.

Wisconsin takes a timeout after we get a key timeout with 1:35 to go on their 26. They take the timeout, huge gift. We run a great 8 yard running play with our RB and we're on their 18 with somewhere around 1:25 to go and 2nd & 2.

We've got 3 timeouts. I think it was a bad call to not take the timeout there. You want to throw on that play (again, if you're most teams anyway) because if it's incomplete it's 4 down territory to run to get the first anyway.

So we don't call the timeout, run the play clock down, call a running play (which honestly is fine) and we get stuffed for no gain...and then we drain the play clock down again.

We pick up the first down some something like a 6 yard run on that 3rd & 2 and hooray, we're on their 12 but now there are only 20 seconds left because we didn't go fast nor took at least one timeout.

That one's kind of a headscratcher. It doesn't even make me that mad because we're basically the same dumpster fire program we've been for the last 6 seasons. But it's a headscrather.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Scofrosghost said:

This game showed me that in the end it isn’t qb play that has been hampering us. Obviously Sims and HH have not helped the situation but Purdy played a clean game with really pretty good stats and we still lost, like terribly. Go up 14 then lay an egg the rest of the game?? Like come on man!

100 percent in play calling, clock management, special teams (anyone else blocks that punt and our guy totally holds up and bails??) and of course crappy Oline play. 

unfortunately a portal qb is not going to save this abortion of a program

Yeah, we went up 14 pretty quick. Our third string quarterback caught everyone by surprise, including the Wisconsin defense. Then they did what defenses are supposed to do and adjust. Did you honestly think we were going to roll 56-0 against Wisconsin at Camp Randall? Like, come on man!

While we almost laid an egg point wise, the defense had a couple great third and fourth down stands, and the offense clicked well enough to move down the field at the end of both halves for what could have been game deciding field goals. You do know that Wisconsin was favored in this game, right? 

And while it might seem foolish to defend this offensive line, it would also be crazy to ignore that the Huskers rushed for 200 yards, leads the conference in rushing, and  Chubba Purdy had enough time to go 15-23 for 195 yards. Sacks did not seem to be an issue. Neither were turnovers. 

Abortion? Dude. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
2 minutes ago, Undone said:

I was basically where you were at, and then I watched that last drive a couple times after the game. Then I changed my mind.

Wisconsin takes a timeout after we get a key timeout with 1:35 to go on their 26. They take the timeout, huge gift. We run a great 8 yard running play with our RB and we're on their 18 with somewhere around 1:25 to go and 2nd & 2.

We've got 3 timeouts. I think it was a bad call to not take the timeout there. You want to throw on that play (again, if you're most teams anyway) because if it's incomplete it's 4 down territory to run to get the first anyway.

So we don't call the timeout, run the play clock down, call a running play (which honestly is fine) and we get stuffed for no gain...and then we drain the play clock down again.

We pick up the first down some something like a 6 yard run on that 3rd & 2 and hooray, we're on their 12 but now there are only 20 seconds left because we didn't go fast nor took at least one timeout.

That one's kind of a headscratcher. It doesn't even make me that mad because we're basically the same dumpster fire program we've been for the last 6 seasons. But it's a headscrather.

Maybe I should watch it again, but I deleted it, thinking of no reason I'd ever want to go through that again. 

Not sure you can talk about four down territory if you're at any risk of getting stuffed (like we did to Wisky) and losing that game-tying field goal attempt. Wisky may have taken the time out, as the announcers were speculating, because they were ready to concede the field goal and hoped to get the ball back themselves. :20 and a timeout could be enough to run two or even three plays, but Purdy's end zone pass took too long to develop and the loft burnt a lot of time. As mentioned, another :04 would have allowed that third shot, but given all the variables it didn't seem that egregious to me. 

• TBH 3

8 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Not sure you can talk about four down territory if you're at any risk of getting stuffed (like we did to Wisky) and losing that game-tying field goal attempt.

I'm not saying that would have been the best thing to do, I'm just saying if we had wanted to play for going up by 4, it was an option because we get 8 yards on the 1st down run.

At the end of the day, coach just obviously didn't want them to get the ball back in regulation. He wanted to work the ball in closer for the FG and he didn't want to pass too much inside their 25.

Nothing wrong with that I guess. But it's a shift for the team's season if all of a sudden he's worried about the defense having to get a stop in regulation.

1 hour ago, Undone said:

I dont think there's a right answer and any case can be made.  I bolded your line above just to play devil's advocate... If I'm rhule, my mindset is, ok we're def in fg range and have TO's and time to work with- lets bleed this down on this play because what i dont want is to use a time out, then get stuffed on 2nd & 3rd, and potentially let wiscy stop the clock, and they get the ball with a min plus left to try and win.

I dont know if the thought process above is right or not.  But so often "clock management" gripes are defined by whether the actual play hits or not - if players execute and it goes right, the player is a hero, if it flubs and blows up in their face its the coach who screwed.  Either scenario its the same coach who's more often than not going to make the same decision in the long run.  

All in all, this is just part of the process.  Rather quickly we've gone from a team who gets blown out and man handled, to a team this year who's lost all close games (besides michigan) because of self inflicted turnovers and inevitable questions into "clock management" issues when the reality is its a 1st year staff trying to win with largely 2nd and 3rd stringers on offense.  I hope next year this progresses into a gripe along the lines of "yeah we won these games by single digits but we couldve won by 20+... and then hopefully our biggest problem is why we lost a close game to ohio state in the big 10 title game.    

• Fire 1
  • TBH 1
38 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

What is interesting on the special teams is it seems we get closer and closer to getting game changing punt blocks every week. We even had the very possible game winning block set up this week and the player just didn't lay out for it. The return game is terrible though. As bad as it has ever been. 

That pull up on the potential block was so perplexing.  

For the return game, can we not just be playing DPE tape from a decade ago to show these youngins how its done?  Never appreciated at the time just how valuable a return guy can be, particularly if you're a progrum focused on defense and field position.  

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yeah, we went up 14 pretty quick. Our third string quarterback caught everyone by surprise, including the Wisconsin defense. Then they did what defenses are supposed to do and adjust. Did you honestly think we were going to roll 56-0 against Wisconsin at Camp Randall? Like, come on man!

While we almost laid an egg point wise, the defense had a couple great third and fourth down stands, and the offense clicked well enough to move down the field at the end of both halves for what could have been game deciding field goals. You do know that Wisconsin was favored in this game, right? 

And while it might seem foolish to defend this offensive line, it would also be crazy to ignore that the Huskers rushed for 200 yards, leads the conference in rushing, and  Chubba Purdy had enough time to go 15-23 for 195 yards. Sacks did not seem to be an issue. Neither were turnovers. 

Abortion? Dude. 

Yes I used some inflammatory language, but I stand by it. 

This team may be showing improvement in some aspects but have taken giant leaps back in others. 

we will more than likely, barring a miracle, end up 5-7. We are not as embarrassing as Frosts team but we just found other ways to lose close games. 

on a losing streak? play the Huskers. Want to put up madden like numbers and break some record? play the Huskers. Hell Allen didn’t even know if he was going to stick with football  then decided after he ran all over us a couple years back that this football thing is kinda neat. 

We suck!! And it prob won’t change in our lifetime.