Am I the only one..

lo country

Was watching a video today of Will Compton’s live reaction to the NU loss against Wisky.  He said that after the blown calls against NU during the MSU game (and comments) that there’s something going on.  The past few games, to include the MSU, there were several missed calls that were obvious to everyone, but the officials and reviewers.  Any chance Rhule’s comments about spy gate and the officials is biting us in the butt down the stretch. Not trying to put the losses on officials, but there have been some bad blown calls the past few games. A call or 2 went our way we might already have 6 wins. It’s a short week….

• Haha 5

No, there is nothing to it in my opinion. It's easy to remember the calls that didn't go your way (and there have been too many), but every game has missed calls. When you put yourself in close games, they become magnified but I don't think any more common. There have been missed calls that benefit us, but those don't tend to get asked about in press conferences and circulated on twitter amongst the local media. 

Don't get me wrong, the the refs and replays officials have been very bad. But I think they're just bad all around, not intentionally bad to spite anyone. Compton is fun, but he also knows playing up the conspiracy stuff drives engagement.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

If we get that 4th & 1 in the 2nd quarter and score there and we don't miss any field goals, we win that one. Refs could always screw you (intentionally or unintentionally) but we didn't keep our foot on the pedal and take the Badgers out of the game.

I doubt there's any conspiracy against the skers but I suppose it's possible.

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

The refs miss calls on both sides, not just on Nebraska.  That is click bait, plain and simple.

Possibly. Just interesting with Comptons comments at the end. I will say that last year,IIRC, was the first time in years that NU got a holding call go their way. Then there was the 16 penalty A&M game on our Big 12 farewell tour……

34 minutes ago, Gage County said:

Please stop, we are not victims.

Doesn't make us victims.  And I am sure not saying that.  But we have been on the wrong end of some sh!tty calls.  Allen tripping our LB in OT. The reviewed TD catch that wasn't, even after review..I have watched a lot of football and NU does appear to be on the negative side.  I am sure the B1G and the refs didn't like him publicly calling the reviews out after the MSU game.  Crazier things have happened.  There can be an unconscious bias.  But bottom line, like a boxer, take the decision out of the ref's hand.

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1

My favorite thing (besides "FIRE COACH _____!!!!" after a loss) is when someone points out the shoddy officiating in our games, a raft of people come in and say we can't talk about the refs because we made mistakes which cost us games.

It's not a binary argument. We make mistakes that cost us games. The refs make mistakes that cost us games. We can talk about both. One conversation does not negate the other.

• Haha 1
  • TBH 4
9 hours ago, Mavric said:

Except in the Michigan State game.

That one felt like they just swallowed their whistles in the second half - I think all 7 of Michigan State's called penalties were in the first half? Someone probably just chewed them out for "ruining senior day" or something and they just stopped calling anything. I agree though that game the bad/missed calls seemed heavily in Michigan State's favor, despite the 7-0 penalty differential. Still don't think there was anything beyond general incompetence and probably some senior day slack behind it though.

• TBH 2
4 hours ago, knapplc said:

My favorite thing (besides "FIRE COACH _____!!!!" after a loss) is when someone points out the shoddy officiating in our games, a raft of people come in and say we can't talk about the refs because we made mistakes which cost us games.

It's not a binary argument. We make mistakes that cost us games. The refs make mistakes that cost us games. We can talk about both. One conversation does not negate the other.

I think the point is one of something, be it a coaching decision or a ref call, costs the game all by itself.   It has an impact of course, but collectively lots of things make up the outcome.   E.G. The kicker who misses a last second FG did not lose his team the game, he contributes but is not 100% at fault, on and on.  We also benefit from missed calls, whether the people who love to complain about the refs acknowledge that or not. 

• Plus1 1