Iowa Game What did we learn?

TGHusker

59 minutes ago, lo country said:

I'm with you on starting over.  It is not as though we were successful with whatever we were trying.  Or that guys are completely invested (multiple years) in this scheme, language, techniques etc....We had issues with the basics imo. Blocking, passing, catching, route running etc....Not some super fancy techniques that they were being taught.

Unsure if Peetz would leave.  He is now the passing game coordinator.  Stafford has been injured and Kupp is questionable again.  Maybe he looks and sees that LA might take a step back and takes the offer again.  Solid resume.  

I am an apologist for Korn at Liberty so I am biased.  I like Chadwell's scheme.  BUT his is also predicated on a true dual threat QB who can run AND pass.  Without that "guy" it'll have issues.  And right now NU doesn't have that guy.  Look at Paul Chryst (analyst at Texas). Do you look at a guy like Tyler Roehl at NDSU or Mike Shanahan at JMU....I am unsure if we are going to get a P5 OC to come here if Satt is let go.  Save some money and put that into White, maybe new assistants etc...I am a huge homer fan, but my red colored glasses have come off.  I do not think that we are destination for many established OC's (with potential HC aspirations) so FCS or G5 might be the route we have to go.  If that is what Rhule decides.  In reality, watching a lot of college football, coaching is a lot of it, but we don't pass the eye ball test compared to a lot of what I am watching on tv...We are lacking Jimmy and Joes as well.  BUT better coaching will result in at least better development.  Another thought on Rhule, he came from Temple (AAC) and Baylor (Big 12) and neither conference was known for its physicality, but more for its "basketball on grass" style of play.  Track star speed is great in those two conferences, but the B1G is a brutal, physical league.  A burner is great at receiver to take the top off the D, but we need a QB who is a threat to get to him.  Maybe what has worked personnel wise it those previous stops won't work at NU or in the B1G.  Season 1, hoping he questions some of his previous thoughts.  Can't get bogged down with the "it's worked everywhere else, so it'll work here mentality".....

On to the off season and wait for the portal to open and recruit signings....

Like you I’m a Korn fan. He’d have to bring a QB with him. But I don’t think Rhule will fire Satt who will become Rhule’s downfall. I’m hoping Trev is hearing from boosters who want a change. 

1 minute ago, Savage Husker said:

3-4 players on each side of the ball need to become junkyard dogs and chew some a$$, rip each other up, and hold each other accountable. 

Agree. I don’t see any coaches like this either. Rhule is fine as the sober voice at the top but I see no coaches getting after it. It’s the same crap week in, week out. 

1 minute ago, chamrocck said:

Agree. I don’t see any coaches like this either. Rhule is fine as the sober voice at the top but I see no coaches getting after it. It’s the same crap week in, week out. 

Yeah, that’s a good point. I think Rhule is the right guy for the job, but it’s not on the head coach to be that guy (that’s why people didn’t like Bo). That should be the role of a position coach.

5 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Ending Oh for November is painful.

Seems they don’t hate losing enough because losing close is the identity of this program as it stands.

3-4 players on each side of the ball need to become junkyard dogs and chew some a$$, rip each other up, and hold each other accountable. 

I read the book a long time ago.  Jason Peter's book "Hero of the Underground"  Believe this was the right book, but he talked about getting after guys in the locker room at half if they screwed up.  That was a team of dogs.  

• Fire 1
10 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Like you I’m a Korn fan. He’d have to bring a QB with him. But I don’t think Rhule will fire Satt who will become Rhule’s downfall. I’m hoping Trev is hearing from boosters who want a change. 

I know!  I think the only 2 LOL.  I think that Rhule will keep him.  Will make me question Rhule tbh.  This was Satt's offensive rankings in FBS.  He hasn't has real success as an OC anywhere. 

2013- 76
2014- 120
2015- 96
2021 107
2022- 75
2023- 110

3 minutes ago, lo country said:

I know!  I think the only 2 LOL.  I think that Rhule will keep him.  Will make me question Rhule tbh.  This was Satt's offensive rankings in FBS.  He hasn't has real success as an OC anywhere. 

2013- 76
2014- 120
2015- 96
2021 107
2022- 75
2023- 110

Pitiful numbers. It seems he has joined Callahan, Riley & Frost as HCs who have an albatross in the form of a coordinator tied around his neck. 

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Pitiful numbers. It seems he has joined Callahan, Riley & Frost as HCs who have an albatross in the form of a coordinator tied around his neck. 

Off season will tell.  Still baffles me, all that money and we hire Satt, Doogie Houser at WR, an analysts after TE is let go, keep Raiola.  All that money. And all because Peetz stayed at LA.  No real back up, but promote every up to spots they were not originally hired for. I understand getting guys you trust, but like Frost bringing his crew, Riley getting a great retirement set up for his guys, Cally and Cos etc.....

5 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

I don’t know how good our offense can be, but considering it’s year 1 and all of the injuries and poor QB play, I don’t think any of us have seen what this offense even looks like. 

Can we please stop using injuries as an excuse for piss poor performance. Every team has injuries. Iowa had injuries yet they found a way to kick our A$$ at our home again when we were playing for bowl eligibility. Football is a mindset. The packers found a way to beat the 8-2 Detroit lions because they came to the game with a mindset that winning the game was a must. Iowa came with a mindset to win 10 games and put us in our place and they did. We have a weak mindset because our coaches are weak minded. When you keep giving your team excuses for the loss, they will get comfortable with that. I do not see any fire in our players or coaches. They say the right things in pressers but they never back it up with action. Talk is cheap.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
3 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

Can we please stop using injuries as an excuse for piss poor performance. Every team has injuries. Iowa had injuries yet they found a way to kick our A$$ at our home again when we were playing for bowl eligibility. Football is a mindset. The packers found a way to beat the 8-2 Detroit lions because they came to the game with a mindset that winning the game was a must. Iowa came with a mindset to win 10 games and put us in our place and they did. We have a weak mindset because our coaches are weak minded. When you keep giving your team excuses for the loss, they will get comfortable with that. I do not see any fire in our players or coaches. They say the right things in pressers but they never back it up with action. Talk is cheap.

Lol. You’re right. Football is a mindset. It’s always about the tough locker room guy who wants it more. JFC man. Get over that bulls#!t. Football at the level Nebraska plays at is about experienced talent. It’s not your high school team that played harder than others. 

The injuries decimated the offense. An offense in its first year that had limited reps for people that weren’t starters, because install was new for everyone. They also didn’t have a QB worth a s#!t all year. 

Im a Packer fan. Want to know why they suck this year?  Jordan Love is awful. They don’t have a QB either. 

Common sense has completely left the majority of posters on this board. If you were too blind to see our flaws when we beat 5 terrible teams and actually believed we were going to win out then I have a great deal on a bridge in San Francisco I’d like to talk to you about. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2
51 minutes ago, knapplc said:

What's bizarre is how we lost this game exactly the same way we lost the Minnesota and Maryland games. 

Tied at ten, with the ball late in the 4th quarter, we're driving for a potential game-winning score, but we throw an interception. Our opponent drives to field goal range and kicks the game-winning points as time expires.

That happening once in a season is crazy.

That exact scenario happening three times in one season is astounding.

This is what I said earlier. I have never ever seen 3 games in one season with a 10-13 score and walk-off FGs. Football Gods flipping us the bird. It has been gut wrenching season once more and listening to Rhule’s pressers afterwards even more painful.

1 minute ago, huskerfan74 said:

This is what I said earlier. I have never ever seen 3 games in one season with a 10-13 score and walk-off FGs. Football Gods flipping us the bird. It has been gut wrenching season once more and listening to Rhule’s pressers afterwards even more painful.

It’s not the football gods. It’s just a game of pick your poison between 3 quarterbacks that are in over their heads in the big ten.

38 minutes ago, lo country said:

2013- 76
2014- 120
2015- 96
2021 107
2022- 75
2023- 110

Yet Rhule defended him and thinks he is the solution. There is ZERO evidence that Satt is a good OC. In fact, he is one of the worst I have seen in all of FBS. I would pick Brian Ferentz over him 100 times and that is saying much as Brian’s offense averages less than 250 yards a game but won 10 games, arguably against losers like us in the big west losers division. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

I’m hoping Trev is hearing from boosters who want a change. 

brick-lol.gif

40 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

I would pick Brian Ferentz over him 100 times and that is saying much as Brian’s offense averages less than 250 yards a game but won 10 games, arguably against losers like us in the big west losers division.

busting-out.gif

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3

Actual laughing out loud at people who think a scheme change to a guy whose system is almost exactly the same as what we did this season somehow saves the program. I legitimately want to smoke what you're smoking, not even kidding.

The core issue that stood between us and a bowl game this season was turnovers. Over and over again our QB's & ball carriers f***ed up in new and hilarious ways.

We ran the option this year. We ran fullback traps. Scheme can't/didn't un-f*** our situation. Not making constant unforced errors will be the biggest thing that does that.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 5
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Our numbers have been relatively dismal for some time. We know these numbers too well.

Hopefully I got all these right and didn't gather information for the wrong team or sport! :funnyhahah

Team Offense 2013-2023 Nebraska

2013  48th

2014  12th

2015  44th

2016  79th

2017  84th

2018  58th

2019  72nd

2020  102nd

2021  71st

2022  102nd *Pre Satterfield 

2023 122nd