2024 Spring Game - April 27

Mavric

After watching the Spring game again this morning, I am pleased with the ball security of our running backs. We struggled starting with the spring game of putting the ball on the floor and it carried over to the season. They did a much better job of having two hands on the ball through contact, including TE's and RB's on screen plays.

• TBH 1

One of the biggest disappointments in the spring game is Alvano missing FGs.  That's something that is much less affected by the format of the game and it's probably way less of a stress situation than he will see all year next season.  And, he shanked some.

That's concerning.  He has some work to do this summer.

• Plus1 5
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

One of the biggest disappointments in the spring game is Alvano missing FGs.  That's something that is much less affected by the format of the game and it's probably way less of a stress situation than he will see all year next season.  And, he shanked some.

Maybe he had a late Friday night 

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I am really hoping he can make some adjustments, but he has had since November to get things right and both of his kicks on Saturday were not close at both ends of the stadium. I really think the staff will give Nico Ottomanelli a good look when he gets on campus, or look in the Portal. When we have lost as many games in the last 3 years by single digit points, we cannot afford to not be confident at PK.

• TBH 2

10 hours ago, jamrinelli said:

After watching the Spring game again this morning, I am pleased with the ball security of our running backs. We struggled starting with the spring game of putting the ball on the floor and it carried over to the season. They did a much better job of having two hands on the ball through contact, including TE's and RB's on screen plays.

It was a glorified practice & the defense was holding back. 

On 4/30/2024 at 10:38 AM, jamrinelli said:

It was said that both Hill and Bell had patella injuries. He said that one was more significant of an injury than the other.

Callahan says Hill is not bad.  May be back this summer.  Bell likely out for the season.

• Plus1 2
On 4/30/2024 at 10:26 PM, SouthLincoln Husker said:

It was a glorified practice & the defense was holding back. 

I get what a spring game was, but last years "glorified practice" we put the ball on the ground several times. Watching running backs cover the ball this year is much more improved than last seasons "glorified practice" or regular season. Appreciate your t cents though

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, jamrinelli said:

I get what a spring game was, but last years "glorified practice" we put the ball on the ground several times. Watching running backs cover the ball this year is much more improved than last seasons "glorified practice" or regular season. Appreciate your t cents though

Ehhh, I feel like he gave you at least 2 cents….

• Haha 1

Raiola just looked so comfortable in the pocket. He had several good throws, and he made them while looking like he wasn't even trying.

I feel like that's one good marker of a guy with a really strong arm, especially on a deep ball; he looks like he isn't even trying that hard to launch the ball. His ceiling is definitely obscenely high.

• TBH 1

While he hasn't competed at the P5 level yet I really like the way he took care of the ball in 3 years of HS. At least he hasn't been a turnover machine like some of our more recent QBs.

Passing 566/881 (64.2%), 88 TDs & 11 INTs (8:1). Hope the line can protect him and open some holes for the RBs which will help a ton.