QB Dylan Raiola to Sign with Nebraska!

87skers

Part of me thinks he Rhule will go out and find a 1 year guy, but maybe that is part of the selling point to DR.... We will not bring anyone else in.  You beat out CP, HH, DK, then you start.

I also believe that Rhule may think that when healthy (which he was NEVER) and with a full time QB coach, that maybe Purdy can be that bridge guy.  I stated in another post, that I think CP will be starter game 1-4 (if he sticks around).  Unless DR has a fantastic Spring/Summer/Fall, which then DR would obviously start right away.  My guess is we would love to have him appear in 4 games, save RS

6 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

I'd hope Rhule and co are still looking for that 1yr bridge QB and let DR & DK compete for yr 2...

I think it's going to be the other way which is Raiola will start this year coming up bc Matt Rhule believes in his ability.  Will their be growing pains when it comes to him yes bc he has to adjust to the speed of the college game but I believe that Matt Rhule thinks with the pieces he has that they can overcome that.  DK will redshirt.  You don't bring the number one qb in the nation to sit you bring him in to play.

10 minutes ago, HANC said:

Part of me thinks he Rhule will go out and find a 1 year guy, but maybe that is part of the selling point to DR.... We will not bring anyone else in.  You beat out CP, HH, DK, then you start.

I also believe that Rhule may think that when healthy (which he was NEVER) and with a full time QB coach, that maybe Purdy can be that bridge guy.  I stated in another post, that I think CP will be starter game 1-4 (if he sticks around).  Unless DR has a fantastic Spring/Summer/Fall, which then DR would obviously start right away.  My guess is we would love to have him appear in 4 games, save RS

What besides conspiracy theories makes anyone think CP is coming back to the team?

2 minutes ago, runningblind said:

What besides conspiracy theories makes anyone think CP is coming back to the team?

I mean where else would he go to start??  Not saying he couldn't find a home but if you were going to do that don't you think you give yourself a better chance to start once the transfer portal opened? If you wait too long to enter most teams already have their roster set with guys from the portal and high school.

3 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I mean where else would he go to start??  Not saying he couldn't find a home but if you were going to do that don't you think you give yourself a better chance to start once the transfer portal opened? If you wait too long to enter most teams already have their roster set with guys from the portal and high school.

You are way overreacting.  You should be there for spring ball yes, but this isn't some giant game of musical chairs. He could probably start for 20+ FBS teams. Do we even know he still wants to play football? :lol:

• TBH 1
2 minutes ago, runningblind said:

You are way overreacting.  You should be there for spring ball yes, but this isn't some giant game of musical chairs. He could probably start for 20+ FBS teams. Do we even know he still wants to play football? :lol:

I just think it puts him behind the eightball that's all.  Of course he could start for other teams I was joking :lol: He did get recruited by Florida State and he was highly ranked coming out of high school.

11 minutes ago, commando said:

Nebraska has placed a few NFL QB's.   Jerry Tagge, Vince Farragamo (sp?), Dave Humm.....maybe others that i can't recall right now.   Brook Berringer was also on a lot of draft boards before that plane crash.  to say it never happened in Nebraskas history is just wrong

We’ve never sent a true sophomore QB. All those guys except Berringer are old enough to be Raiola’s grandpa.

4 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

We’ve never sent a true sophomore QB. All those guys except Berringer are old enough to be Raiola’s grandpa.

Well there has never been a true sophomore QB drafted ever since that isn't possible. You have to be in school for 3 years before you can declare. But yes we haven't had a great history of QBs. Raiola could change the narrative if he gets the right coaching and development from the staff.

• Haha 1
  • TBH 7
47 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

I'd hope Rhule and co are still looking for that 1yr bridge QB and let DR & DK compete for yr 2...

That portal is thinning out quickly. At this juncture, there probably isn't a QB that we're capable of bringing in that would be an adequate bridge for a player of Raiola's caliber.

36 minutes ago, HANC said:

I also believe that Rhule may think that when healthy (which he was NEVER) and with a full time QB coach, that maybe Purdy can be that bridge guy.

He lacks the experience, which is what Raiola at this point lacks. I really wish Purdy had gotten a significant run of games as a starter by this point in his career, rather than most of his playing time being emergency duty, because I also believe in his potential. That time would have been last year, not this year. I'd like to keep him solely because of numbers, but if he wants to play he's probably best served transferring to a lower tier school.

35 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

You don't bring the number one qb in the nation to sit you bring him in to play.

If you go back the past several decades almost all of the top rated QBs have sat all or most of their first year and the ones that have played significant minutes have not put up that great of numbers. Very few are Trevor Lawrence.

With respect to Raiola, he's very, very advanced as a high school player. He has off the charts arm talent and an ability to stay alive in the pocket that is rarely developed until the professional level. Even when you do get a bead on him, he's already so big he can brush it off and still make an accurate throw. You don't want to overhype the guy, but there's significant reason to believe he can buck the trend of true freshman number 1 ranked QBs.

• Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, commando said:

Nebraska has placed a few NFL QB's.   Jerry Tagge, Vince Farragamo (sp?), Dave Humm.....maybe others that i can't recall right now.   Brook Berringer was also on a lot of draft boards before that plane crash.  to say it never happened in Nebraskas history is just wrong

Turner Gill would've been drafted had he not chosen baseball. I assume Bruce Matheson was drafted (he had a couple of cups of coffee in the league).

15 minutes ago, hskrpwr13 said:

Turner Gill would've been drafted had he not chosen baseball. I assume Bruce Matheson was drafted (he had a couple of cups of coffee in the league).

You're right on Mathison, 10th round pick. And really it's coaching style that's the measure here- of course we didn't put a lot of option QBs in the NFL...! Tanner Lee was our last QB drafted. And Rhule coached PJ Walker, a 4 year starter at Temple. He's still in the league- my Bears cut him and then he beat the 49ers. I understand the argument- not a lot of great recent history here- but it's a new regime. Raiola knows this.

• TBH 1
  • Mavric changed the title to QB Dylan Raiola to Sign with Nebraska!