2024 Bracketology

Mavric

No real movement in the projections this week.  Not much of a surprise since Nebraska didn't play any games this week.

Dropped to an 11 at ESPN - last team with a bye.  Playing Texas Tech in Pittsburgh.

Stayed an 11 at CBS Sports - last four in, so playing opening round in Dayton against Utah for the right to play Oklahoma in Brooklyn.

Dropped to an 11 seed at Bracket Matrix.  On 101 of 103 brackets.  Highest seed is an 8, lowest is a 12.

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

No real movement in the projections this week.  Not much of a surprise since Nebraska didn't play any games this week.

Dropped to an 11 at ESPN - last team with a bye.  Playing Texas Tech in Pittsburgh.

Stayed an 11 at CBS Sports - last four in, so playing opening round in Dayton against Utah for the right to play Oklahoma in Brooklyn.

Dropped to an 11 seed at Bracket Matrix.  On 101 of 103 brackets.  Highest seed is an 8, lowest is a 12.

I never have paid that much attention to this.  How close are these to what the committee eventually comes out with?  Obviously, I'm talking about the last update to these projections when the season is over.

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I never have paid that much attention to this.  How close are these to what the committee eventually comes out with?  Obviously, I'm talking about the last update to these projections when the season is over.

Most of the time they are pretty close.  Usually only miss a couple of teams and seeding is usually within one seed.  This probably doesn't apply to all 103 brackets at Bracket Matrix, but it is a pretty good guess as to who at least is in the conversation.

• Thanks 1

Stay the course and we are in. 

I think we would all love to win in round one, and then have hope to play well in round 2.

After looking at the projected tourney bracket, it looks like we would be better off being #12 or #13 seed.   

They currently have us at #11.

That path seems more challenging as the #11 seed. 

And more challenging than if we were #12 or #10 seed.

For example...

The 11th seed plays the 6th seed.  Winner plays 3rd seed.

The 12th seed plays the 5th seed.  Winner plays 4th seed.

The 13th seeds plays the 4th seed.  Winner plays 5th seed.

Right now, the Huskers are projected #11th seed and would play against #6 seed Texas Tech, Kentucky, South Carolina, Florida Atlantic. 

And then if you win you play the #3 seed - 

Baylor, Alabama, Iowa State, Auburn

If Huskers were #12th seed, they would play against the #5 seed - 

BYU, San Diego State, Dayton, Clemson.

If you win then you play against the #4 seed - 

Creighton, Wisconsin, Illinois, Duke

My point is, the #11 seed is a difficult path.

I mean, even if the Huskers got the #10th seed, they play the projected #7 seed - Utah State, Oklahoma, Colorado State, Michigan State

Any matchup as #11 looks awfully hard IMHO.

25 minutes ago, admo said:

I think we would all love to win in round one, and then have hope to play well in round 2.

After looking at the projected tourney bracket, it looks like we would be better off being #12 or #13 seed.   

For example...

Right now, the Huskers are projected #11th seed and would play against #6 seed Texas Tech, Kentucky, South Carolina, Florida Atlantic. 

I mean, even if the Huskers got the #10th seed, they play the projected #7 seed - Utah State, Oklahoma, Colorado State, Michigan State

I just want in and a chance to win a game for the first time in history.  I watched with rapt attention in 2014 and it's already been a decade since our last opportunity. Don't care at all what seed.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, admo said:

For example...

No at-large team will ever be a 13 seed.  Those are always conference champions from small conferences.

• Plus1 1

13 hours ago, admo said:

For example...

TT is nasty, that would be a bad match up.

UK should be at 22 wins right now.

South Carolina might be all hat and no cattle.

FAU is probably better than their record.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
14 hours ago, ECisGod said:

No at-large team will ever be a 13 seed.  Those are always conference champions from small conferences.

So you miss the point?  About being 11th seed and the challenges?  I also mentioned it's easier at 10 and 12.  I would retype but I don't want to.

There is a lot of bad seeding that traditionally happens.  I hope you agree.

11 hours ago, admo said:

So you miss the point?  About being 11th seed and the challenges?  I also mentioned it's easier at 10 and 12.  I would retype but I don't want to.

There is a lot of bad seeding that traditionally happens.  I hope you agree.

It's not necessarily bad seeding, there are always upsets.  Most years the difference between a 5 seed and a 12 seed (and all the seeds in between) is pretty small.  There are a lot of bubble teams that played really well at the end of the season to get into the tournament & some mid-seeded teams that played poorly at the end of the season, but really well early so they got a higher seed.  Look at Wisconsin.  On Sunday when the NCAA announced their current top 16 seeds they were a 4 seed but have lost 5 of 6 and have looked really bad doing it.  There is almost no way they don't make the tournament, but I wouldn't pick them in the first round unless they figure their crap out in the next couple of weeks.

In the NCAA tournament, it's always who gets hot at the right time.  If a team gets hot in March, seeding doesn't matter.

• Plus1 1