shift8 *** Official CFB Playoff Game Thread *** shift8

8 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

I've never heard of people talking about clock management on the 3rd to last drive.  That being said Penix threw it away and should have just taken a sack or even run oob under the newfangled rule.

We are talking about the possession Washington had with 2:44 left on the clock.  If Washington runs it there Texas is forced to take another timeout. That leaves Texas with one timeout when Washington gets the ball with 1:06 remaining.  From there they should be able to take a knee and end the game.  It  should savethe injury and definitely doesn't allow Texas to touch the ball

52 minutes ago, BlackHillsHusker said:

We are talking about the possession Washington had with 2:44 left on the clock.  If Washington runs it there Texas is forced to take another timeout. That leaves Texas with one timeout when Washington gets the ball with 1:06 remaining.  From there they should be able to take a knee and end the game.  It  should savethe injury and definitely doesn't allow Texas to touch the ball

Once you know how the rest of the game plays out, it's easier to say what could/should have been done.

At the time - 3rd & Goal with 2:44 left - the decision was between making Texas use a time out or going for more points, which would have made Texas score two TDs, not a TD and a FG.  I don't think going for more points was a bad choice. 

Texas didn't even need to use any of their timeouts to get inside Washington's 10 yard line.  And they could have saved about as much as a timeout would have saved by kicking the FG earlier on the ensuing drive.  So I don't think it's accurate to say Texas wouldn't have touched the ball again.  Too many variables.

• Plus1 2
8 hours ago, Mavric said:

Once you know how the rest of the game plays out, it's easier to say what could/should have been done.

At the time - 3rd & Goal with 2:44 left - the decision was between making Texas use a time out or going for more points, which would have made Texas score two TDs, not a TD and a FG.  I don't think going for more points was a bad choice. 

Texas didn't even need to use any of their timeouts to get inside Washington's 10 yard line.  And they could have saved about as much as a timeout would have saved by kicking the FG earlier on the ensuing drive.  So I don't think it's accurate to say Texas wouldn't have touched the ball again.  Too many variables.

Well, I was talking about their drive with 12:30 left as it happened, but none of the rest of the stuff Washington did struck me as stupid.

13 hours ago, Mavric said:

We can wind it back to the 3rd quarter to see where UW may have save 20 seconds.  Of course Texas calls different plays once a butterfly beats its wings. 

I don't really know who I want to win. I don't hate either team. This is so much better than having to figure out who I want to win between Alabama and Texas.

Maybe 51% Michigan 49% Washington. But I hated the idea of Michigan blowing them out. I want it to be a 1 score game.