Is Nebraska a "blue blood" program?

2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

FIFY ....  in Nebraska red since we would have trounced them more than we did Tenn.  I agree with your sentiments.   The Big 10 pretty much looked the other way.  I hope Harbaugh finds a NFL gig and Mich falls apart.  

You are correct sir, it was the 97 season. I always get it wrong….and I went to that Orange Bowl game :bang  The game was actually in 98 for the 97 season. But either way it does no harm to think I hated Michigan 1 year sooner :lol:

• Oh Yeah! 1

Yes, Nebraska is still a blue blood. But, admittedly, the 7 year bowl-less streak is a worse period of ineptitude than almost any other blue blood program has ever had. The bad periods for other blue blood programs are usually periods where they win about 55-60% of their games. 

Well, actually, Nebraska had a longer and similarly bad period of ineptitude from 1941-1961. But Nebraska's history from 1890-1940 and from 1962-2001 was probably the very best in college football. Even 2002-2016 was just a fairly typical "down" period for a blue blood- it wasn't until the 2017 that we began a basically unheard of period of awfulness.

• Plus1 1
20 hours ago, winner00 said:

Yes, Nebraska is still a blue blood. But, admittedly, the 7 year bowl-less streak is a worse period of ineptitude than almost any other blue blood program has ever had. The bad periods for other blue blood programs are usually periods where they win about 55-60% of their games. 

Well, actually, Nebraska had a longer and similarly bad period of ineptitude from 1941-1961. But Nebraska's history from 1890-1940 and from 1962-2001 was probably the very best in college football. Even 2002-2016 was just a fairly typical "down" period for a blue blood- it wasn't until the 2017 that we began a basically unheard of period of awfulness.

Agree. The last seven seasons took us into different territory.

As late as 2018, the pollsters and Las Vegas were giving Nebraska and Frost the benefit of the doubt, believing they would challenge for the division and giving them pre-season rankings based on.....our blue blood history, I guess. Nebraska become so consistent at s#!tting the bed, including Rhule's first season, that the Huskers actually became a joke. 

Most of us thought we hit bottom in 2017, so that's made it harder, but the scorched earth of of expectations is a good place to start 2024. I'm going to be optimistic, like I am every year. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's worth noting that people reserve Blue Blood for football programs whose reputations go back at least 100 years.  A bit surprised to see Penn State so low. 

It's always a little surprising to me as well.  But I think it's because they've been pretty solid for my lifetime but not much before that.  They really didn't do anything remarkable until JoePa got there.  So not near the history of a lot of others.

11 minutes ago, Slow yer Roll said:

Tx never struck me as a blue blood.

FSU, and UGA seem bluer than tx.

Texas is #4 in all-time wins.  Not sure there needs to be a lot more to the resume than that but they have national championships dating back as far as we do.

Florida State didn't even have a team from 1906 to 1946.  And then did basically nothing of consequence until Bobby Bowden go there in the late 70s.  Probably the same as Penn State in that they seem like they've been good for our entire lifetime but don't have nearly the history as the other "Blue Bloods."

And Georgia is slightly better than that but similar.  They had some good seasons here and there but only had a handful of Top 10 teams before 1980.

• TBH 1
14 hours ago, Mavric said:

Texas is #4 in all-time wins.  Not sure there needs to be a lot more to the resume than that but they have national championships dating back as far as we do.

Florida State didn't even have a team from 1906 to 1946.  And then did basically nothing of consequence until Bobby Bowden go there in the late 70s.  Probably the same as Penn State in that they seem like they've been good for our entire lifetime but don't have nearly the history as the other "Blue Bloods."

And Georgia is slightly better than that but similar.  They had some good seasons here and there but only had a handful of Top 10 teams before 1980.

FSU, Florida and Miami seem like blue bloods these days, but they didn't bring much to the party until the 1980s. Much as I hate to admit it, a good 40 to 50 year run might be enough to earn entry. 

19 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's worth noting that people reserve Blue Blood for football programs whose reputations go back at least 100 years. 

Most. Most reasonable people reserve Blue Blood for programs whose reputations go back at least 100 years. Other goofballs don’t consider history at all and want to kick a team out of the club for a bad 7-10 year run.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1