Thunderin' Bolts @ Shriner's Children's College Showdown

1 hour ago, HANC said:

All four guys were fantastic on the mound today

I'm not sure I'd say that..

Timmerman came in and gave up the run. That can't happen on a consistent occurrence. Sure, call it freshman jitters but if he's going to solidify his position he can't give up runs. He came in with one down and a runner on 1st and gives up a double down the line allowing Baylor to tie the game. 

Perry and Daiss both pitched 1 inning each and both gave up a hit resulting in added pitches to arms.. 

Late inning pitchers are expected to throw 1, 2, 3 innings and turn it over to the next. Giving up hits often come back and bite you. Happy it didn't today but to say the guys were "fantastic" is stretching it but yes, I agree, the team pitching looked solid enough to be joyously hopeful. 

Caught part of the radio, and I couldn't watch any of the linked vids or anything, but glad to see we executed across the board.

Too early to say that we're better in all three phases this year...but even if we take a slight step back in offense and make a large leap in pitching, we'll reap larger dividends in the long term. 

1 hour ago, Loebarth said:

I'm not sure I'd say that..

Timmerman came in and gave up the run. That can't happen on a consistent occurrence. Sure, call it freshman jitters but if he's going to solidify his position he can't give up runs. He came in with one down and a runner on 1st and gives up a double down the line allowing Baylor to tie the game. 

Perry and Daiss both pitched 1 inning each and both gave up a hit resulting in added pitches to arms.. 

Late inning pitchers are expected to throw 1, 2, 3 innings and turn it over to the next. Giving up hits often come back and bite you. Happy it didn't today but to say the guys were "fantastic" is stretching it but yes, I agree, the team pitching looked solid enough to be joyously hopeful. 

Maybe fantastic is a little over zealous, but to complain is being pretty nit-picky as they allowed 1 run in the first outing with a guy who was in the pen ( admittedly misused by coaches), a freshman in a leverage situation, and KP who didn’t throw amazing last year. Compared to last year in San Diego, this was fantastic. I understand that the opponent wasn’t SDSU, but if told you going in that we would allow 1 run, I am betting that 99.9 of us would be ok saying fantastic. Again, maybe a slight stretch, but closer to fantastic than solid. One double away, allowed by a freshman from a shut out . Maybe I am just referencing the performance compared to the “expectations “ rather than just simply looking at number of hits.

29 minutes ago, HANC said:

Maybe fantastic is a little over zealous, but to complain is being pretty nit-picky as they allowed 1 run in the first outing with a guy who was in the pen ( admittedly misused by coaches), a freshman in a leverage situation, and KP who didn’t throw amazing last year. Compared to last year in San Diego, this was fantastic. I understand that the opponent wasn’t SDSU, but if told you going in that we would allow 1 run, I am betting that 99.9 of us would be ok saying fantastic. Again, maybe a slight stretch, but closer to fantastic than solid. One double away, allowed by a freshman from a shut out . Maybe I am just referencing the performance compared to the “expectations “ rather than just simply looking at number of hits.

Totally agree with everything here... I'm also every bit as optimistic about today as you. Feels so freaking good to be 1 and 0 baby!! Hoping to be 2 and 0 after tomorrow but Tech is a whole different monster. 

3 hours ago, HANC said:

SDU* :wasted The pitching last year in that San Diego series was abysmal, and SDU ended up 24-25-1, so not that much better than Baylor perhaps :blink: Obviously it's only one game so we'll see, but a good opener beats losin'.

5 hours ago, HANC said:

It is the first game & against a southern team.  Good win!  Oh I almost forgot - it's way too early to rationalize.

Had a chance. Runners on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out, but strike out, fly out ends inning. Walsh went 5.2…. 3 runs…. 0 walks, which is Childress’ mantra.  Offense doing enough to keep us in it

• Plus1 1