Trev to A&M

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Failing to fulfill the promise that made him the No. 5 pick in the 1994 NFL draft, linebacker Trev Alberts retired yesterday after three injury plagued seasons with the Indianapolis Colts.

The Colts announced the retirement a day after the former Nebraska star failed to show up for scheduled reconstructive surgery on his right shoulder.

"It was something that was hanging out there that needed to be closed, and now it is," said Bill Tobin, vice president of football operations for the Colts.

https://www.southcoasttoday.com/story/sports/1997/07/23/colts-linebacker-alberts-calls-it/50607181007/

Kind of seeing a pattern here right?

• Plus1 9

And we can continue to dig up his alleged old flaws from past jobs all we like, but there is little doubt Trev was a great ambassador had NU athletics going in the right direction.  The next AD isn't going to be Mr (or Mrs) Perfect either.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 6
2 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

And we can continue to dig up his alleged old flaws from past jobs all we like, but there is little doubt Trev was a great ambassador had NU athletics going in the right direction.  The next AD isn't going to be Mr (or Mrs) Perfect either.  

I think he did a great job.

But I also think burning down everything because he left seems absurd.  We seem to want to question everyone but Trev.  He appears to have a significant history of not following through on commitments.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 2
1 minute ago, Decoy73 said:

Sure. At the same time, we need to be honest about the means he has used in the past when things at his place of employment start getting tough. If he was a millennial we would all be rolling our eyes about this trend of just ghosting situations he doesn't care to deal with like a grown a$$ adult.  Instead, hes a mid 50's guy so we assume he doesn't just flake out which means our entire university system is in the wrong. But an honest look at pretty much every place he's worked prior seems to show something quite different. It's easy to be the king when everything is going well......

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I think he did a great job.

But I also think burning down everything because he left seems absurd.  We seem to want to question everyone but Trev.  He appears to have a significant history of not following through on commitments.

If it were just Trev, it would be one thing.  Problem is, it's more than just Trev.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 4

That is a very interesting pattern of leaving jobs for Trev. No matter what else may be wrong in this situation, we can't ignore this isn't the first time (or second, or third) he's departed a job like this. 

Good info, you guys.

• Plus1 4
  • TBH 2
Just now, knapplc said:

That is a very interesting pattern of leaving jobs for Trev. No matter what else may be wrong in this situation, we can't ignore this isn't the first time (or second, or third) he's departed a job like this. 

Good info, you guys.

It’s “I’m taking my ball and going home”….Game over.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

am I the only one besides Larry the Cable Guy that doesn't really care?  I know its not a good look for the University in general to have some top positions leave abruptly but, I'm a football fan and as long as the right coach is in place which I believe he is, and the players show up and win games I don't care who the AD is.  The only issue I have is that Rhule will be immediately on the hot seat as soon as the new AD shows up.  Story as old as time (AD wants to hire his guy).  

Just now, gobiggergoredder said:

It’s “I’m taking my ball and going home”….Game over.

Which is odd, because he was obviously such a high achiever on the field, and he's parlayed that into (apparently) a decent job as an Athletic Director. 

But yeah, you can't ignore that he's now quit like this on several different employers. Weird juxtaposition of behaviors.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 minute ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

am I the only one besides Larry the Cable Guy that doesn't really care?  I know its not a good look for the University in general to have some top positions leave abruptly but, I'm a football fan and as long as the right coach is in place which I believe he is, and the players show up and win games I don't care who the AD is.  The only issue I have is that Rhule will be immediately on the hot seat as soon as the new AD shows up.  Story as old as time (AD wants to hire his guy).  

That's a pretty big issue to not really care.

• Plus1 3

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If it were just Trev, it would be one thing.  Problem is, it's more than just Trev.

I keep seeing this posted out there, and I just don't see it.

Greene retired. He was old and done.  

Carter left for one of, if not the top President job in the country

Trev, as has been stated, didn't get his way and took his ball and went to what will probably be a worse situation.

I get it, everyone wants to blame politics, but sometimes it's just the situation that we are in.

I will concede the President search has taken way to long, but how long should it take? What is the normal search time for a University President?

Maybe they have someone in mind, and Trev didn't like the new guy for whatever reason?  It's ALL conjecture at this point.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's a pretty big issue to not really care.

I don't see Rhule being on the hot seat with a new AD.  It is way to early for that to happen.

Is Elko immediately on the hot seat at A&M now?

1 minute ago, soup said:

I keep seeing this posted out there, and I just don't see it.

Greene retired. He was old and done.  

Carter left for one of, if not the top President job in the country

Trev, as has been stated, didn't get his way and took his ball and went to what will probably be a worse situation.

I get it, everyone wants to blame politics, but sometimes it's just the situation that we are in.

I will concede the President search has taken way to long, but how long should it take? What is the normal search time for a University President?

Maybe they have someone in mind, and Trev didn't like the new guy for whatever reason?  It's ALL conjecture at this point.

Rose said this morning on KFAB that Greene was the wrong hire.  I have no idea, I’m just repeating.

If Greene was the wrong hire and Trev is just being Trev, I think it changes this narrative a bit.

I guess I don't really buy the gap in Presidents being that big of an issue.  I'm not sure we're that much different than any other place.

For example, Ohio State's former President announced her retirement in November 2022.  Ted Carter wasn't announced as the replacement until August 2023.  He didn't assume his position until January of this year.

By that timeline, we still have 6-ish months to have a new President in place.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 1

I just don't see the University not replacing the President yet as a reason.  

These searches do take time and Trev should understand that and understand that, the position will get filled.  The bigger issue is if he trusted the BOR to hire the right guy.

4 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

If Greene was the wrong hire

I've never heard anything but praise for Greene while he was here.

• Plus1 2