2024 Portal Szn

So, I think we still have:

Hoiberg Walk on (but, would be on scholarship if he wasn't coach's son)

Williams

Gary

Ulis

Grace

jacobsen Walk on?

Burt Walk on?

Mast

Do I have that right?

Just now, knapplc said:

It's kinda hard to feel positive about the future of the team when that many guys leave. Combine that with who we lose to graduation and Fred had better absolutely nail the portal this year. Oof.

It's extremely frustrating.  They finally have a breakout season and now this.

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's extremely frustrating.  They finally have a breakout season and now this.

No doubt, but that's unfortunately the way all of college basketball is trending at this point. This free for all style with the portal is going to leave a lot of kids without a spot on the D1 level and more importantly, not allow many players to graduate. If every team is turning over 20-50% of their roster every year, it'll be a rollercoaster every season. 

I'm still not convinced that the attrition is done for us (though I hope it is)... Mast, Williams, and Gary would be a huge bonus if we're able to keep them into next year. 

44 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Somewhere I saw a Tweet showing who is still on the team.  I can't find it.  But, it's getting pretty thin.

On scholarship are: Gary, Mast, Ulis & Williams (all seniors)

Walk-ons: Burt & Jacobson are Sophomores, Grace & Hoiberg are Juniors.

Two incoming freshmen:  Frager & Janowski.

That leaves 7 open scholarships.  If they'd had a really bad season or Hoiberg had left, I'd understand why so many are leaving, but after having a really good season & no coaching change, I'm confused.

They can't even play 5 on 5 pickup games until the freshmen show up in May/June unless they bring in some student managers.

• Thanks 1

Only two of those players were contributing to the success this season and honestly Wilcher was more or less a senior. 

so not a huge deal on that front. Depth wise though it sucks. 

• Plus1 1
34 minutes ago, soup said:

Only two of those players were contributing to the success this season and honestly Wilcher was more or less a senior. 

so not a huge deal on that front. Depth wise though it sucks. 

On a basketball team, two contributing players is quite a bit when you then factor in the ones out of eligibility.  And...some of these were expected to start contributing next year.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1