Joel Klatt Top 25

1 hour ago, AZRaiderH8r said:

From a CU guy no less, that had to hurt!

He has been pro Nebraska for a long time, when we haven't deserved it.  He was pro Riley and pro dumbass who shall not be named. He respects rivals and actually seems like a genuine dude.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 4
9 minutes ago, runningblind said:

He has been pro Nebraska for a long time, when we haven't deserved it.  He was pro Riley and pro dumbass who shall not be named. He respects rivals and actually seems like a genuine dude.

I agree...He seems like he just likes CFB and just likes his job.

• Plus1 4

6 hours ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

Preseason polls are outhouse wallpaper but it's something to talk about and it is positive.  I will also take Mr. Klatt over Mr. Fowler any day.

Agreed about the polls but the good news is it shows how strong the Husker name still is!

7-0 start which looks very doable will have NU in that top 12.  A 3-2 finish will have them in the discussion.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
15 hours ago, runningblind said:

Totally agree, I actually like him a lot. I think he's pretty unbiased to be honest. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Agreed about the polls but the good news is it shows how strong the Husker name still is!

7-0 start which looks very doable will have NU in that top 12.  A 3-2 finish will have them in the discussion.  

Hey, 10-2 would have me grinning like an idiot for months. My annoying, realistic side tells me we'll see some hiccups, an injury or two, or some freshman roadbumps. It's not unrealistic to be thinking of finally bowling again. Hard to say, here in May. Perhaps I need to top off my kool-aid (sharkleberry-fin, all the way).

As I said a few weeks prior, expect Nebraska to appear on these sorts of 'darkhorse' type lists because the numerical indicators are very strong. The spring only reiterated that Nebraska is fully capable of turning last year's negatives into this year's positives.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1

For us to actually be one of the top 25 teams in the country, there'd be a huge assumption that we've pretty much completely ditched the problem with turnovers & false starts in one offseason.

I find it really hard to believe that will be the case, but hopefully we at least put a big dent in the problem.

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, Undone said:

For us to actually be one of the top 25 teams in the country, there'd be a huge assumption that we've pretty much completely ditched the problem with turnovers & false starts in one offseason.

I find it really hard to believe that will be the case, but hopefully we at least put a big dent in the problem.

Because turnovers regress to the mean so heavily year over year, they're actually one of the best predictors for this sort of thing....in both directions. If you have a team that won more games than otherwise expected but they had a large positive turnover margin or lost more games than otherwise expected because of a large negative turnover then they are strong candidates for their record to also regress to the mean the following year.

1 hour ago, Undone said:

My thoughts exactly. We were -17 (#129) in turnover margin. I don't expect to magically vault into positive territory this season. But if we can get it down to a single digit deficit it will go a long ways in getting to six wins and having a successful season. And the defense needs to do a better job too. 14 takeaways sounds OK until you realize we were tied at #103. Top teams are in the high 20's.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

Turnovers is one area that can take a huge jump in one direction in one year.  It's frustrating that it's been a problem for Nebraska for so long.  But, we have a coaching staff in their second year.  Their first year, the turnovers were mostly from the QB position.  This year, we are going to have a completely different QB situation.

Can I guarantee it's going to improve? No.  But, there's a lot of potential for it to changing.  This staff knows what needed to change.  They made one bad guess on a transfer QB that ended up being the extreme mirror image of what the Nebraska QB position has been for so long.  It was a kick in the nuts.  Then he gets hurt and a guy tried really hard to fill in, but couldn't succeed.  I respect the hell out of what HE did last year.  He's original QB1 from last year is gone.  We have two freshman QBs that have great potential to be nowhere close to the turnover machine he was.

We have potential to see a big improvement in turnovers this year.

3 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

My thoughts exactly. We were -17 (#129) in turnover margin. I don't expect to magically vault into positive territory this season. But if we can get it down to a single digit deficit it will go a long ways in getting to six wins and having a successful season. And the defense needs to do a better job too. 14 takeaways sounds OK until you realize we were tied at #103. Top teams are in the high 20's.

That was my next question.  What has our defense done?  They were decent last year overall.  But, they have room for improvement in getting turnovers.