Are you satisfied with Callahan?

I don't want to start a flame war, because I do like Callahan. But to anyone who believe it takes 4-5 years to rebuild a program...I have two words...Urban Meyer.

Wait...sorry...two more...Charlie Weis.

Meyer inherited a team with a lot of talent already running an offense similar to what he had. Completely different situation from what BC came into.

What exactly has Weis done? he's won more games, but he's also played a lot more patsies... in terms of coaching i don't see what he is doing to be all that different from what BC has done. The difference is that his team is named Notre Dame, which has given them some sort of college football trustfund when it comes to recognition and BCS bowls.

I believe that Callahan achieved the most realistic goals in 2006: winning the Big 12 North and going to a Jan 1 bowl game. We must give him more time to prove he can break into the elite group (Top 10, then Top 5 and battling for NC).

Consider the high expectations of some really disappointing teams this year -

Texas & California (pre-season Top 10), Miami U, Florida St, Alabama, Iowa (pre-season Top 20) and Iowa State (co-favored for the Big 12 North).

Nebraska might not have lived up to the hopes and expectations of many fans, but we performed MUCH better than many of the big name schools.

Many years ago I said it would take 5 years for BC to get where he needed to be. Personel and coaching adjustment to the college level.

We are seeing those changes happening. This man knows what needs to be done to win on the National level.

Again I go back to recruiting. Every single team that is playing or has played for the National Championship are top ten recruiters year in and year out. Only failing when there are not enough slots. Too many top ahtletes on board to recruit a full class.

We could not draw that type of athlete with the old system. I am not saying the old system would not work. I am saying you can not sell covered wagons to people who want new Corvettes.

We are playing a much tougher shcedule than the past staff, and we are not getting blown out by them.

Give it the time it needs. Be happy with the recognition we are getting.

I seriously doubt we will ever return to the mid 90's level, but who else has or will.

Time to live in the current day of college football. No one will dominate like we did.

Yes, you can't compare us to the Florida schools. If Miami does find the right coach, and they probably will, expect them to be back quickly. They have talent to fit the current system, and I doubt the new coach will change the system that much. Since Devaney came, this has been by far the most radical system change in Husker football, and the shelves were bare of players who fitted Callahan's system. So, respectfully, comparing us to the Florida schools is like comparing apples to oranges.

Oh...and uh, if Solich's players were so bad, why are so many of them starting on the defense? A defense, that while ranked in the lower third of the stat rankings in many categories, has 6-7 potential NFL players on it. Coz sucks, and needs to go...Cally will win without him. I don't believe he will win anything more than the North with him.

The defense did not receive the total overhaul that the offense did scheme-wise, so the defensive players adjusted more easily. I actually think that there were many decent-to-good Solich-era recruits on defense. The offense on the other hand, not to say the recuits were bad, but they were simply wrong for the new scheme.

Also, please tell me what Notre Dame's record was before Weis. Oh, and what was Florida's? Nebraska's was 10-3 the year before Cally came in. I don't believe Notre Dame's or Florida's were that good, and two years later they are both in BCS bowls.

By the way, for all you knowledgeable football fans, Meyer completely overhauled the offense at Florida when he got there. Yet, they seem to be doing ok...BCS Championship...

Meyer went from a pro-style passing offense to a spread offense. Change in scheme yes, but Meyer had receivers, pass blockers, and a more experienced passing QB. Callahan had Dailey, short receivers meant for down field blocking, and more option-based run-attack offensive lineman. Once again Meyer did a great job, but he had just no where the obstacles of BC. I think Meyer has done MUCH better job the Weis.

Not only did Urban and Charlie come into much better situations that Callahan did, but it's also easier to recruit for Florida and Notre Dame than it is for Nebraska. That being said, who exactly has Notre Dame beat to make Weis so impressive? Ohio State? Michigan? USC? No, no, and more no. I think he has beat one ranked team since becoming head coach, and he has gotten blown out of the water repeatedly by decent teams. If Nebraska had Notre Dame's schedule this year we would be 11-2 also.

I will always believe that had Callahan fit the system around the players he did have when he first arrived in Lincoln that our bowl streak would not have come to an end. Instead Callahan tried to make the players fit his system and it didn't work.

Comparing Meyer and Cally is so unfair - Meyer trips over a dozen 4-star players on his way to the office each day. Cally has to work his you-know-what off just to get a 4-star to visit. Zook had that program stocked with talent before Meyer got there. Solich had some decent defensive players on board, but nothing in the way of QB, OL, or WR's.

Cally has done a decent job - I'd give him a B. He needs to do three things for us to get better long-term: (1) Turn more of the play-calling over to Norvell so he can watch the entire game and motivate the entire team, (2) Stop giving full control of the defense to Cosgrove, if not replace him. Our D has been so inconsistent for 3 years with improving talent and that falls entirely on the DC, and (3) Get rid of Elmo and reassign Busch to special teams and recruiting only. We need to get a quality secondary coach.

Firing BC would be catastrophic to our program, but a tweaking of the staff is mandatory at this point.

Not only did Urban and Charlie come into much better situations that Callahan did, but it's also easier to recruit for Florida and Notre Dame than it is for Nebraska. That being said, who exactly has Notre Dame beat to make Weis so impressive? Ohio State? Michigan? USC? No, no, and more no. I think he has beat one ranked team since becoming head coach, and he has gotten blown out of the water repeatedly by decent teams. If Nebraska had Notre Dame's schedule this year we would be 11-2 also.

I will always believe that had Callahan fit the system around the players he did have when he first arrived in Lincoln that our bowl streak would not have come to an end. Instead Callahan tried to make the players fit his system and it didn't work.

i would agree that is true... but how would the offense ever change and improve in the passing game. what you are talking about is just good for that one year, it does nothing for the future to come and pretty much leaves you in the same place year after year.

i dont think that nebraska fans are satisfied and wont be untill we can compete with top programs and be a top program. i agree we need a change... a defensive change! BIG TIME! Coz has never been a top defense and never will have a top defense. and as i have stated all year we cant win any type of championship with him here. I think callahan is a good coach. i think he is leading us in the right direction. Taylor is just an ok qb who did wonders in keeping us from being 6-5 the last 2 years. I see next year with keller to be a better decision maker. I like taylor he is a good person and a good qb but not great. his decision making saturday night hurt us. he was slow in every aspect of the game. which hurt us alot. when you have great field position like we had all night against ou we needed to score about 35 points in that game. and a good team would have scored 42-49 points in that position. we scored 7 with 3 pics.... not a good deal. but i do see progress in our team and i think that next year we will have a top 10 team but wont win anything with coz around. i do really hope petersen nutts up and gets rid of him. it would be the 2nd best thing for our program in the last 4 years!

I can't believe you whining [edit by mods]. People of today with their high-speed lifestyles are so impatient and as such the United States has become the new China of get it done now crappy products.

[edit by mods] Anyone who REALLY knows Nebraska history remembers Tom Osborne's head being on a platter year after year for never being able to win the "BIG" game. Remember when he had the nickname "Uncle Tom" before Dr. Tom? You remember why? Because uncle Tom would put in lower talent white players instead of the black athletes. Fact is, Tom Osborne is remembered like some kind of a god now when for years he was cussed and ridiculed.

Now we expect instant gratification from a coach who is gonna drag NU kicking and screaming into 21st century football? You expect him to air it out and not play conservative but only give him 3 years to pull miracles? This is hypocrisy at it's finest. You can't have both! Either you want a risk taker that will come into his own and eventually build an elite program with blood, sweat, tears, and huge balls or you will have to deal with a coach to scared to get creative because of [edit by mods] such as yourselfs calling for his job after some hard-fought close losses to excellent programs.

CRAFTSMANSHIP takes time. CRAP doesn't and left up to you [edit by mods] and your skewed views of the halcyon days of what we once would embroil our program in the chasing of the proverbial carrot-on-a-stick until the end of time. [edit by mods] Shut up, sit back, and let a true CRAFTSMAN like Callahan finish what he started.

For the love of all things holy!

Oh, I forgot. Bananalamas do rock! :nanalama:nanalama